TiVo Community Forum banner
5541 - 5560 of 5830 Posts

·
Well-Known Mumbler
11,686 Posts

·
Registered
25,602 Posts
As someone who cut the cord a couple years ago and now depends on YouTubeTV's DVR, count yourself lucky despite that setback. TiVo was the best and we miss it so, so, so much. :(
Uhh, you can still get/use a Tivo. "Go back". Some things are worth the "extra cost" (though really, esp if you pay lifetime, it's not really more cost over long time since you save over cable boxes or having LOTS of streaming services..)

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I haven't had time to watch the episode yet but when I saw I had recorded an episode of "Call Me Kat" I had to check to see if it was new. It was indeed, and Ken and Mayim (as Kat) sit together on a plane.

·
Registered
25,602 Posts
OK, it was from this season, so not several months old.. but I forget the exact reference. This is VERY vague, but sometime later in the game, Ken made a pop culture reference to one of the players.. I think it may have even been an older video game reference (e.g. Zelda or something like that).. I didn't get the reference then, but I even went back and listened to the contestant chat (which I FF through the vast majority of the time -- the only time I watched a LOT of it was back on Ken's orig run since I wondered how they'd keep thinking of things to talk about)..

Anyway, on the very recent ep, Ken's reference wasn't referring back to the contestant chat, and it didn't have to do with any of the clues in that game as far as I could tell.

Is this triggering a memory in anybody? I should have taken a note about it when I originally saw it (and the ep was overwritten with new shows or suggestions)??

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
At the start of the season, the champion was named Luigi. He had won a few games in a row, but in that game, he was trailing by quite a bit heading into Double Jeopardy and Ken said something like "has Luigi met his Waluigi?"

In the Super Mario series of video games, they made a villian who was like a reverse Mario type character named Wario. Then, some time later, they created a similar reverse character for Mario's brother Luigi and he was named Waluigi. That's what Ken was making reference to.

Is that what you're thinking of?

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,355 Posts
I thought this was a really good FJ clue. Get rate was less than 50% on JBoard, which is unusually low.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INNOVATIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen by a worldwide audience in 1970, black pentagons were added to these to help viewers follow them better on TV

Correct response: soccer balls

As did many people, the words "TV" and "Innovations" led me to some technological advance. My guess was "hockey pucks", thinking those on-screen highlights that let you follow the puck. Turns out those were created in the 90s. My mind never went lo-tech, instead of high-tech.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I thought this was a really good FJ clue. Get rate was less than 50% on JBoard, which is unusually low.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INNOVATIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen by a worldwide audience in 1970, black pentagons were added to these to help viewers follow them better on TV

Correct response: soccer balls

As did many people, the words "TV" and "Innovations" led me to some technological advance. My guess was "hockey pucks", thinking those on-screen highlights that let you follow the puck. Turns out those were created in the 90s. My mind never went lo-tech, instead of high-tech.
Pentagon quicky took me to the answer.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I knew it wasn't hockey pucks, because those tracer lines were an extremely short-lived feature of the 90s. So much so they were heavily mocked in ads in Canada.

But I was wracking my head because I was thinking what thing on TV featured black pentagons. It's an unusual shape and not something typically seen on TV. Then midway through Think I finally figured out what object on TV actually has pentagons and it made sense. I was born in the late 70s so for me, that object was something that always had black pentagons to me and I always through it was part of the design just to make it more unique and distinct an object.

This is especially tricky since I think the official championship match of the sport stopped using black pentagons by the mid 70s, though the typical one you can find in stores still has it.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Oddly enough, being a hockey fan was one thing that helped me get it. I knew that when hockey games were first televised, people had a hard time differentiating between the red and blue lines on the ice when watching on small black & white tv sets. As a result, the NHL changed the rules and required teams to paint the red line with some type of repeating red and white pattern.

I knew it wasn't hockey because the black pentagon part didn't line up, but it got me thinking of sports. Then, the global audience part of the clue made me think of the Olympics, but I knew 1970 wasn't an Olympic year. Then, I remembered the World Cup is held in the even numbered years between the Olympic years, and once I had soccer on my mind, the black pentagons made sense and it all fell into place.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Last night's Celebrity show hit a new low. Whatever happened to the dignified show that Alex hosted? If he had still been alive and hosting would it have been that bad?

And yet I found it entertaining.

I'm rooting for Iliza (and she won) because my cousin died of cystic fibrosis. As painful as all that mess was, that's what it's all about.

Reggie did really good accents.

I enjoyed Eddie Huang's show and the young Eddie on the show wanted to be a rapper. He certainly had the personality and look of a rapper. I don't know if it was a coincidence but his TV mom was the subject of a "GMA" commercial during the show.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I never thought I could dislike Jeopardy but last night's Celebrity Jeopardy was just awful! They seemed to think it was Family Feud or something. Who are these people trying to destroy my favorite show? Mayim tried to keep some control, but it was impossible.

·
Registered
22,209 Posts
As much as I don’t like Mayim as a Jeopardy host (I do like her an actor and she seems like a nice person) I don’t think she should have been subjected to having to host that train-wreck. Triple Jeopardy? And that guy who kept changing his accent?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,969 Posts
That was the most cringe inducing episode of Celebrity Jeopardy ever, I think... I don't know, but the contestants were so irritating. I don't even remember who won, I was just wanting to turn it off the moment it was over.
I thought it was a lot of fun. It was far more relaxed than a regular Jeopardy! game, which was a fun change, and the contestants knew they were just there for fun and they made it really entertaining. Reggie doing his various voices, making fun of each other for stupid answers, etc. It was all just very refeshing.

I would like to have seen the kerfuffle that entailed when Reggie answered Le Tour Eiffel and Mayim ruled him incorrect, and then he started to protest and suddenly it cut to her correcting herself and saying that he said the correct answer in French and it would be accepted. I'll bet it got heated there for a minute.

5541 - 5560 of 5830 Posts