TiVo Community Forum banner
5481 - 5500 of 5856 Posts

·
It's Just TV
27,231 Posts
Gutless Rushed wagering for sure.
(As explained later, she made a mistake and locked in the wrong amount too quickly and then couldn't correct it)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
If I recall correctly, before covid Johnny wasn't coming in until after lunch. He'd do the two afternoon episodes live, and dub the morning ones. Covid changed that, of course. I'd be surprised too, if he returned to the studio on a regular basis, but thought he might have made an appearance for the premier. I don't know what the covid situation was like in LA when they began the season, though.
Well, if he's returning back to the studio in the afternoon, we'd find out on Thursday I suppose.

I think COVID has pretty much settled down - though I can also imagine that it's probably something that someone in their 90s might want to still be careful about. But who knows, maybe doing it from home is fine for them in retirement - it's something to do in their free time and not on a fixed schedule, so it works out even better for him.

Though I admit I listen to Jeopardy more than watch it - so I don't know if they've pushed the contestant lecterns together or kept them separated.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
A Jeopardy nightmare I would not have considered.

Final Jeopardy — My wager was a huge mistake. I was confident in the final category, too! I intended to cover Luigi's potential final total by a dollar, but I lost perspective while I scribbled on scratch paper. Soon after I submitted my wager, I realized I’d messed up. Filming hadn’t resumed yet but I was stuck. As you may know, on a contestant’s screen, there’s a confirmation button by the wager box and once you tap that button, the wager’s locked in with few exceptions. We were sufficiently warned. I'd made an unforced error and I was gutted.
Handwriting Rectangle Purple Font Material property

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I wonder what the "few exceptions" are?

I was confused by the acceptance of a similar word for a category that was new entries in the OED. The similar word would also have to be a new entry.

People complained about Mayim ruling incorrectly and it seems to have happened to Ken, though I don't know what happened. We can't see whether he is looking at the judges.

I hadn't noticed the audience but there is a blue light on them, which I don't recall happening before.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
I was confused by the acceptance of a similar word for a category that was new entries in the OED. The similar word would also have to be a new entry.

People complained about Mayim ruling incorrectly and it seems to have happened to Ken, though I don't know what happened. We can't see whether he is looking at the judges.
The given answer was "vaccination passport". Ken accepted it, as I thought he should have. Later, right before the DD, he said the judges said the phrase was "vaccine passport", and since it was a dictionary phrase, it had to be exact. I thought that was petty. I understand they wanted the dictionary phrase, but it's a variant of the same, and dictionaries rarely list every possible way to say a phrase.

People didn't complain about Mayim ruling incorrectly. They complained about her untimely pauses after many answers.

One of the differences between the two is Ken is a fount of knowledge, and can make snap judgments, almost always correctly. Mayim can't. That's why (IMHO) she had no business being a host.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
The given answer was "vaccination passport". Ken accepted it, as I thought he should have. Later, right before the DD, he said the judges said the phrase was "vaccine passport", and since it was a dictionary phrase, it had to be exact. I thought that was petty. I understand they wanted the dictionary phrase,
I thought it was acceptable, but if the category is actual dictionary entries, it has to be the right one.
Mayim can't. That's why (IMHO) she had no business being a host.
But she is cute, provided she wears attractive glasses and has her hair looking right.

·
It's Just TV
27,231 Posts
I'll be happy if they keep Mayim B. on the Celebrity tourneys and such. Let people that want to see her catch her there and let Ken J. handle the daily hosting duties on the main show.

·
I've got Jewbs!
2,383 Posts
SPOILERS people....

Good game today, very close.

I'll save you the trouble @Regina... play for the win!

What's odd is she seemed like a strong player, risking a lot on a DD, hunting for the DD, really getting into the game. So why the heck do you wager to cover a loss?
OMG! YES! Bet to win or don't bet at all! 2nd show of the season! SMH!

·
It's Just TV
27,231 Posts
Oh, my, well, that's too bad. Hopefully they will do another second chance tournament for her!
She did say she hopes she may get lucky in that regard.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
This is likely going to be the big difference between Ken and Mayim. People complained Mayim was slower, but chances are she would've waited to make the decision, allowing the contestant to change her answer. But because Ken is quicker at making the judgment, she lost out. Luigi got lucky in that Ken said the wrong thing - he said "More specifically" which allowed the opportunity to revise the answer.

(The jeopardy rule is that as long as judgment isn't made, you can change your answer, and Ken being faster than Mayim at responding meant she lost out because of the snap decision, and Luigi getting lucky when Ken made a hosting mistake giving him an advantage.).

Might be an interesting opportunity where Mayim's "more annoying" hosting style might've actually been more correct. Or Ken's hosting mistake to give a "better flow" lead to a contestant being disadvantaged.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Luigi got lucky in that Ken said the wrong thing - he said "More specifically" which allowed the opportunity to revise the answer.
I think Ken said something more like "Could you repeat that" or "say again". Almost like he didn't hear the answer fully, or didn't understand it.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
4,940 Posts
I think Ken said something more like "Could you repeat that" or "say again". Almost like he didn't hear the answer fully, or didn't understand it.
I think that Luigi said it very quickly and the answer he gave was first part of the correct answer and Ken couldn't tell if he just swallowed the last bit, or got it wrong. He had the wrong answer first, but because Ken couldn't tell he got a second chance. If Ken had been sure of what Luigi said he probably would have ruled it wrong.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I think that Luigi said it very quickly and the answer he gave was first part of the correct answer and Ken couldn't tell if he just swallowed the last bit, or got it wrong. He had the wrong answer first, but because Ken couldn't tell he got a second chance. If Ken had been sure of what Luigi said he probably would have ruled it wrong.
Yeah, I remember that now. He actually had it wrong.

5481 - 5500 of 5856 Posts