TiVo Community Forum banner
5421 - 5440 of 5456 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I suspect that anything about Ken not having the ability to do it full time is BS. They bought into Mayim and they can’t dump her now, especially with the way that the search was handled.
Or he doesn't actually want the full time gig because it would mean moving LA or traveling to it for a few days every other week.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
Or he doesn't actually want the full time gig because it would mean moving LA or traveling to it for a few days every other week.
Well, he's already doing that (traveling) right now. So it doesn't seem like that's an issue, unless he's viewing this as a temporary situation ("make hay while the sun shines") but wouldn't want to do this permanently. But it seems to me that as jobs with required traveling go, this is pretty minor. Two flights every two weeks, and he's basically home and available to his family all the other days in between. I think most people would kill for a gig like that.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,718 Posts
Interesting wagers today, everyone had a shot at winning, even though they started with amounts fairly far apart.

"West Virginia and Regular Virginia" 😁

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I'm amazed I knew "whelk" was a shell. As a child I used to like shells, but mainly the ones that look like the gas station logo.

I also got Madison Square Garden several nights ago.

·
Nice to see you
12,090 Posts
But since he's no longer on The Chase, the only "job" that I know of that he has is working as a consulting producer for J!, which would surely not prevent him from taking the host duties.
He was on the game show "Master Minds" as well, but he quit that, too.

He does still have one regular gig in the form of the twice-a-week trivia podcast that he does with musician John Roderick (they sell ads and accept contributions via Patreon, so it's a little bit more than just a hobby). However, that actually doesn't seem to take up too much of his time.

Edited to add: He also writes a weekly trivia-based puzzle for Mental Floss: Kennections

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
He was on the game show "Master Minds" as well, but he quit that, too.

He does still have one regular gig in the form of the twice-a-week trivia podcast that he does with musician John Roderick (they sell ads and accept contributions via Patreon, so it's a little bit more than just a hobby). However, that actually doesn't seem to take up too much of his time.

Edited to add: He also writes a weekly trivia-based puzzle for Mental Floss: Kennections
But neither of those things are a "job" that would interfere with him being the full-time host. Those are both things that can be scheduled at his discretion around his hosting duties.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,718 Posts
I think the Jeopardy EPs are trying to somewhat save face. If they dropped Mayim, it might look bad. At the same time, they do have a lot of stuff in the pipeline, and I can kinda see (if I squint) where they may want to split hosting duties. So they split them, have two hosts, don't piss anyone off (except the 82% that wanted them to pick a single host), and always have a host in reserve if something goes wrong (illness, for example, or a poorly timed tweet).

The danger comes when people get accustomed to Ken's patter. It sounds like he's it for the first part of the year, tourneys included. Then when they switch to Mayim, her drastically different style is going to be jarring to many. Probably too many. I fear viewership will drop during her run. And I have reservations about what happens when she hosts a real tourney. Experienced champs won't be happy putting up with her faltering style.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,495 Posts
Late to the party, but "Al" came to me right away and I was stunned at the triple stumper!
I thought of "Graceland" first, like many. And then I thought, "...but I'm really tempted to say 'You Can Call Me Al'". I don't think I'd have quite changed it in time if I were there. But, there's a way to get to it: I remembered that "You Can Call Me Al" had a music video. "Graceland" didn't, even though it's probably a more enduringly popular song. And so I thought, was "Graceland" even a single?

Well, it was. But YCCMA hit #23, and Graceland only hit #81. So only YCCMA actually fits.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,718 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
"Pyramid" last night began with Ken winning his partner money.

They always show someone winning at the beginning.

And one of The Bachelors got his game shows mixed up. He said, "What is" in his first response.

·
My One Time
15,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,436 ·
FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INAUGURAL BALLS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At the 1993 Tennessee inaugural ball, Paul Simon performed this song, his most recent Top 40 hit

Tennessee. Paul Simon. Top 40 hit. Bingo... Graceland.

”You Can Call Me Al”

:cry::cry::cry:
A little late to the party here, but I was there and still wouldn't have gotten it.
I was there mainly because Bob Weir/Rat Dog was playing. In addition to Bob and Paul were Lou Reed and Rosanne Cash. Somewhere in my DAT collection I have a tape of the event.

I wonder where they dug up this bit of trivia.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The other night, one of the contestants said there was something Alex used to say all the time. Whatever it was, I can't recall hearing him say it.

5421 - 5440 of 5456 Posts