TiVo Community Forum banner
5301 - 5320 of 5562 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,914 Posts
What is WTF about that? No one in our house watching knew the answer.
Probably because there are five boroughs and Staten Island hadn't been used yet.
It was the Bronx that hadn't been used yet.

Having said that... I went blank also. I knew there were five, I knew four had been used, I know my boroughs, and yet... {crickets}

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I didn't get the "Baby, Don't Hurt Me" category. Seemed forced to have the answer just alongside a comment with the word baby.
Oh, just have fun with those.

Having just seen a reference to the show Luke Perry was on, I don't think "90210" should have been accepted as a response. I don't recall whether he was ever on that show, which was about a second generation with some characters related to the cast of "Beverly Hills 90210". I do know he was on the travesty that is "Riverdale".

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I wonder what percentage of Americans that don't live in NYC know there are just 5 boroughs.
Everyone who watched Jeopardy now knows - Mayim did say at the beginning "name 1 of the 5 boroughs".. I didn't know before the episode, and now I know :). And it's been reinforced by this thread that there are 5 boroughs. Now, I might have trouble naming them all...

So yeah, everyone knew there were 5 boroughs going into it. But I suppose it's a triple stumper because it's one of those elimination questions where each response will be a different borough, and did you manage to keep track of them all?

I'm sure no contestant was tracking which ones were said and mentally eliminating the picked ones from the list so they could get an easy $1000 clue - they were all deriving it from what they knew rather than the alternate. (Remember most clues usually have two ways of coming up with the correct response). Method of elimination is just one used so infrequently.

But it might be a fun way to do clues because it makes it harder on the "bouncers".

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Everyone who watched Jeopardy now knows - Mayim did say at the beginning "name 1 of the 5 boroughs".. I didn't know before the episode, and now I know :). And it's been reinforced by this thread that there are 5 boroughs. Now, I might have trouble naming them all...

So yeah, everyone knew there were 5 boroughs going into it. But I suppose it's a triple stumper because it's one of those elimination questions where each response will be a different borough, and did you manage to keep track of them all?

I'm sure no contestant was tracking which ones were said and mentally eliminating the picked ones from the list so they could get an easy $1000 clue - they were all deriving it from what they knew rather than the alternate. (Remember most clues usually have two ways of coming up with the correct response). Method of elimination is just one used so infrequently.

But it might be a fun way to do clues because it makes it harder on the "bouncers".
I knew it was The Bronx.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
I wonder what percentage of Americans that don't live in NYC know there are just 5 boroughs.
21.572% (so the likelihood of a triple stumper would be about 50/50)
Jeopardy contestants 78.371% (so the % likelihood of a triple stumper= just about exactly1%)
5 day champ level Jeopardy contestants 98.428% (a triple stumper would be very close to impossible)

Actually, these are my absolutely official made up stats as to how many "know there are just five boroughs AND that the Bronx is one of them.

Of course knowing the right response in the first place would shortcut all that, making, in aggregate, how a triple-stumper could happen pretty much a stumper.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,386 Posts
Apparently Luke Perry was on Beverly Hills 90210.

View attachment 73297
Whether "90210" was a sufficient answer is another matter.
The point is that there was a spin-off show a few years ago called "90210" so while that was often used as a nickname of the original show, it is now the official name of another show, so I would expect J! would either not accept that, or ask the contestant to BMS.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
They had the "Which New York City Borough?" category and the first four answers were Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and then the fifth question was a triple stumper. WTF?!?

Another annoying thing with Mayim:

The Clue: "This Civil War Battle . . ."
The Contestant: "What is Gettysburg?"
Mayim: "Yes, the BATTLE of Gettysburg."

The Clue: ". . . on this road where cars are serviced."
The Contestant: "What is the pit?"
Mayim: "Yes, the pit ROAD."

The Clue: "This strait narrows . . ."
The Contestant: "What is Gibraltar?"
Mayim: "Yes, the STRAIT of Gibraltar."
The only issue I have is that as a life long racer, the pits and pit road are technically different places. While NASCARs three national series use the term garage instead of pit it is essentially the same thing. The pits are an area where crews work on cars between races and pit road is a place quick service happens during a race.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The only issue I have is that as a life long racer, the pits and pit road are technically different places. While NASCARs three national series use the term garage instead of pit it is essentially the same thing. The pits are an area where crews work on cars between races and pit road is a place quick service happens during a race.
The way they phrased the answer removed the need to say the word Road.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I forget who. Maybe it was Mayim. But someone seemed surprised by the writers' sense of humor when looking at two categories next to each other that were related.

5301 - 5320 of 5562 Posts