TiVo Community Forum banner
5261 - 5280 of 5543 Posts

·
It's Just TV
27,139 Posts
Why are you calling her temporary?
I think he's (very) hopeful that she is nothing more than temporary for the regular job. Same thought here.

I have no problem with her hosting specials, celeb editions, that sort of thing, but I wish she'd get dropped from the regular show. Too damned distracting because of those pauses.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I think he's (very) hopeful that she is nothing more than temporary for the regular job. Same thought here.

I have no problem with her hosting specials, celeb editions, that sort of thing, but I wish she'd get dropped from the regular show. Too damned distracting because of those pauses.
Ken is the one not getting treated like the "real" host, but I'd have no problem with him not being THE host.

I just wish I didn't have to look at Mayim when she wears weird glasses.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,881 Posts
Here's my guesses as to the hosting...

Ken gets named permanent host. I'm sure the big cheeses at Sony have seen the online threads, and various polls. Mayim is only liked by about 30% of viewers, Ken gets above 75%. Their own internal studies must show them similar results. They'd be fools at this point to pick her.

If they feel some obligation to keep her (and why should they, this is a business, not a participation trophy), they can make her the host of special tourneys and/or prime-time events. However, I'm hearing some BUZZ that they may pick someone else for those games.

If you read back, you'll see I was originally a fan of Mayim, and had no problem with her as host. It's only as I've watched dozens & dozens of shows with her, that I've come to realize she would be a poor choice. There are so many facets to hosting this iconic show--smarts, timing, personality, etc--and I don't think she has a firm grasp on enough of those elements.

One thing that I think has become a factor is the host's trivia knowledge. It wasn't a big deal with Trebek, because, well... Trebek. But a replacement that doesn't have a deep and profound trivia background can get lost on stage. Waiting for judge's decisions, not sure what they heard, is that enough or do I ask BMS? Ken and several others know this stuff innately. Mayim's lack of this knowledge is hurting her on stage.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,881 Posts
I have given zero thought to her looks, appearances, or clothes. I like Mayim, and whatever she wears is fine with me. I honestly never think about it, and rarely even notice. If you didn't continually bring it up her, I doubt I'd even be aware it's a thing.

·
It's Just TV
27,139 Posts
Here's my guesses as to the hosting...

Ken gets named permanent host. I'm sure the big cheeses at Sony have seen the online threads, and various polls. Mayim is only liked by about 30% of viewers, Ken gets above 75%. Their own internal studies must show them similar results. They'd be fools at this point to pick her.

If they feel some obligation to keep her (and why should they, this is a business, not a participation trophy), they can make her the host of special tourneys and/or prime-time events. However, I'm hearing some BUZZ that they may pick someone else for those games.

If you read back, you'll see I was originally a fan of Mayim, and had no problem with her as host. It's only as I've watched dozens & dozens of shows with her, that I've come to realize she would be a poor choice. There are so many facets to hosting this iconic show--smarts, timing, personality, etc--and I don't think she has a firm grasp on enough of those elements.

One thing that I think has become a factor is the host's trivia knowledge. It wasn't a big deal with Trebek, because, well... Trebek. But a replacement that doesn't have a deep and profound trivia background can get lost on stage. Waiting for judge's decisions, not sure what they heard, is that enough or do I ask BMS? Ken and several others know this stuff innately. Mayim's lack of this knowledge is hurting her on stage.
I have given zero thought to her looks, appearances, or clothes. I like Mayim, and whatever she wears is fine with me. I honestly never think about it, and rarely even notice. If you didn't continually bring it up her, I doubt I'd even be aware it's a thing.
That's the thing to me. Mostly she's heard, not seen. If she's wearing some funky outfit, weird glasses, whatever, I'm not really noticing.

What I am clearly noticing is the pauses.

Like I have said before, it seems clear to me that she isn't doing homework and/or doesn't know the board in advance. I don't know if Ken is doing that but as you noted, depth and breadth of knowledge, Ken has it hands down. He doesn't have to worry about the correct answers as he knows it just as much as the contestants do and likely as much as the judges do. He just has it in advance so he can pace the game better and he absolutely gets through the board and the match much better than Mayim Bialik does.

Also, as you've noted, Sony would be remiss if they aren't following the ratings. Her ratings as a host are down considerably compared to his. People are actively tuning her out. I'm not watching while she's hosting. Every now and then now, but pretty rarely. When I hear that Ken's back, I'll tune in again. When I have caught an episode lately with her hosting it's has been too jarring and disjointed to enjoy.

One of the things that has always bothered me about the game is when they make a correction it never takes into account the impact on the flow of the game. While they can "correct" the money, they can't go back and give the person that had answered correctly but was ruled as wrong the right to call the next spot on the board. It totally drops the flow of the game and changes how things unfold from that point. That is another part that frustrates me more with her hosting. With Ken the corrections are few and far between. With her, it seems to happen much too frequently.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I just remembered this. I correctly guessed the answer was not "Kabuki", and Mayim just gave the answer to the next contestant who, of course, got it correct.

If it's Japanese theater, it's one or the other, and usually the other.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,336 Posts
Please stop commenting about Mayim's appearance! It comes across as really creepy and misogynistic. We are not watching the show to see how she looks or what she wears and that's certainly not why we come to this forum to discuss the show.

If you absolutely MUST discuss her appearance, I'm sure there's a forum full of un-self-aware creeps somewhere on the internet where people might be interested, but this definitely isn't it.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,336 Posts
Thursday's game...

* Want to see how the temporary host's pauses are throwing off the contestants? Look no further than the very first clue today. There was only one answer acceptable, it was given, and the pause was so long, the contestant looked away from the board to see what was going on. Then did an eye shrug trying to figure out what the heck that was about.

* Her incessant "You now have the lead" actually interrupted a contestant as they were starting to ask for the next clue. Just stop.

* I was amazed that FJ was a triple stumper. I was doubly amazed that two of the contestants gave the same answer, which was only off by, I don't know, maybe 300 years? 😬 I was triply amazed that poor wagering cost one of them the win.
How about in the Wednesday game, when there was the question about the word for a disaster based on the French word for descent. When nobody got it, Mayim said the answer was "avalanche" and then had to add an explanation, complete with hand motions, about how avalanche and descent are related. :rolleyes:

·
It's Just TV
27,139 Posts
Please stop commenting about Mayim's appearance! It comes across as really creepy and misogynistic. We are not watching the show to see how she looks or what she wears and that's certainly not why we come to this forum to discuss the show.

If you absolutely MUST discuss her appearance, I'm sure there's a forum full of un-self-aware creeps somewhere on the internet where people might be interested, but this definitely isn't it.
Your comments and defense on this concern are fine, but... well, I can't say that I blame the poster you were replying to for making their comments. If her appearance is affecting his enjoyment of the show and is distracting when watching, then it seems to be fair game.

Apples and Oranges and all that when comparing her to Trebek in his run on the show, but he was, by my memory, always dressed professionally and his appearance was never a distraction when hosting Jeopardy. Compared to his time hosting Classic Concentration (where he had a habit of dressing much more relaxed, baggy sweaters and the like) it was night and day difference. Looking back at those Classic Concentration episodes, definitely classic 80's wear and all that. On that show, with the much more relaxed play style and leaning much more casual, it was no big deal. Same guy hosting a show that was much more businesslike in tone and game play, we say Trebek being more smooth, professional, etc.

By memory, with Mayim, there have been articles that have claimed that producers aren't really thrilled with her fashion choices on the show. The fact that the outfits are provided by sponsors (typically) doesn't help there. They would obviously want to put forth the best image they can if they are providing the suits and clothes that she's wearing. If she is not cooperating with the producers and is instead opting to make her own choices that are more jarring and disruptive to the audience, than it piles on that much more to reasons that some of us just don't want to see her hosting.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,881 Posts
By memory, with Mayim, there have been articles that have claimed that producers aren't really thrilled with her fashion choices on the show.
Part of the problem may be that her religious beliefs prevent (or conversely, require) certain types of clothing. What many people think of as modern wear for women are not available for her to wear.

I am NOT a fashionista, and as I've pointed out, don't pay much attention to what people wear. I'll hear people comment on a contestant's outfit, and I have to go back and look again to see what they're talking about. And I'm fine with Mayim's clothes. But if one is used to a more modern, creative look in hosts, especially females, you aren't going to get it with her.

Of all the things that bug me about her (don't get me started 😬), this isn't one of them.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
By memory, with Mayim, there have been articles that have claimed that producers aren't really thrilled with her fashion choices on the show. The fact that the outfits are provided by sponsors (typically) doesn't help there. They would obviously want to put forth the best image they can if they are providing the suits and clothes that she's wearing. If she is not cooperating with the producers and is instead opting to make her own choices that are more jarring and disruptive to the audience, than it piles on that much more to reasons that some of us just don't want to see her hosting.
I think her clothes always look good, but if you want to talk creepy, it's her face with those Clark Kent or Buddy Holly glasses.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Getting back to the competition itself, the third-place contestant and returning champion should have just assumed both of her opponents would be wrong, which they were, and bet accordingly.

·
I've got Jewbs!
2,481 Posts
Mayim is an observant Jew and that certainly does affect her clothing choices. But she used to dress, as Tim Gunn would say, "Very Madame," until she appeared on "What Not To Wear." They helped her a lot. She was pretty dowdy before then.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
I always liked Alex with the mustache, very much a distraction when he didn't have it. I did watch the show a lot when he was hosting, even though I thought his choice of socks was always rather bland.

·
I've got Jewbs!
2,481 Posts
They used to credit the designer of Alex's suits, but I don't think I have seen any such credit for Mayim's clothing. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Fun fact: 'Mayim' means 'water' in Hebrew. :giggle:

5261 - 5280 of 5543 Posts