TiVo Community Forum banner
5221 - 5238 of 5238 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,488 Posts
The returning champ came to play. That was a gutsy DJ DD wager.

I wasn't happy with the FJ clue. One, it's not a Classic Rock album (IMHO), it's a few years after what I consider the "classic" time frame. Second, I never really thought of him as a Southern Rocker. Being from FL doesn't make one a Southern Rocker. Finally, he has a group that's as well known as he is, and was even called out by name by the temporary host. So the clue should have read "Southern rocker and his band".

Poor clue.

·
My One Time
15,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,222 ·
The returning champ came to play. That was a gutsy DJ DD wager.

I wasn't happy with the FJ clue. One, it's not a Classic Rock album (IMHO), it's a few years after what I consider the "classic" time frame. Second, I never really thought of him as a Southern Rocker. Being from FL doesn't make one a Southern Rocker. Finally, he has a group that's as well known as he is, and was even called out by name by the temporary host. So the clue should have read "Southern rocker and his band".

Poor clue.
Agreed about FJ!! My wife and I discussed this at some length.

"This classic album by a Southern rocker gets its title from a Civil War quote by a Union admiral"

Rocker is singular. Even if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt in the "Southern Rock" genre it's an album by a group.

However, I did say to my wife with a questioning expressing, "Damn the torpedoes?"

Also in the first round they gave Jeff Weinstock credit for a response that wasn't in the form of a question. I know that in the first round the host is aloud to prompt the person to answer in the form of a question, it still is a big lapse IMO since it's something so basic to the show.

·
My One Time
15,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,223 ·
On the Scruggs side that name does ring a bell as a passing reference. I don’t have that branch of the family tree in my family info. I’m related to the Scruggs family by marriage. My Aunt (my mothers sister) married into the Scruggs family.
It sounds like you didn't know who @HarleyRandom was referring to.

Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs defined bluegrass music and are responsible for what I would hazard is the most recognizable bluegrass song ever.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
What's the "flap"? Just that Mayim screwed up again and had to be corrected by the judges, or is there something more about it?
Mayim didn't screw up, the judges did.

If you notice, Mayim did a really, really, really long pause after that response, which meant she wasn't sure about the response being correct and was waiting for the judge to rule. The judges ruled for Megan the first time, they reviewed that ruling a little while later when they could take their time examining the response.

The judges were put on the spot, as the response had the right response in it, the ruling came on the second part that was incorrect.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,488 Posts
For a G-rated episode (assuming it was) last night's sure had a lot of cursing.

When did it become acceptable to use the word for donkey as the second part of a compound word?
I seem to have forgotten whatever you're referring to. Reminder?

·
Nice to see you
12,046 Posts
I wasn't happy with the FJ clue. One, it's not a Classic Rock album (IMHO), it's a few years after what I consider the "classic" time frame.
The clue didn't say it was Classic Rock, it said it was a "classic album." It's hard to disagree with that characterization, given that it's over 40 years old and generated two of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' biggest hits ("Don't Do Me Like That" and "Refugee").

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,488 Posts
The clue didn't say it was Classic Rock, it said it was a "classic album." It's hard to disagree with that characterization, given that it's over 40 years old and generated two of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' biggest hits ("Don't Do Me Like That" and "Refugee").
That went right by me. Edited my reply.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,488 Posts
I think these may have been words used in the last two clues in Thursday's episode. One of the words didn't appear onscreen. But the word for donkey was the last three letters of the word in each case. On the G-rated "Jeopardy".
Hmm, I'm still confused. Here are the last three clues from yesterday (Thursday). They happen to be right in a row, so screen scrape got them... and I still got nothin'

Gadget Font Communication Device Display device Rectangle

·
My One Time
15,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,235 ·
The problem is that it is not an album by a southern rocker. It's an album by (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) a southern rock group.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,769 Posts
They were late in the episode. The words were never shown on screen for one, and they were for the other.
Here you go. They were earlier in the round, the last two answers in the Graphic Novels category:

Smile Eyebrow Candle Eyelash Flash photography

Sky Violet Font Rectangle Art

I wouldn’t really consider either usage of the word to be inappropriate.

Reactions: astrohip
5221 - 5238 of 5238 Posts