TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I saw her post too. They are still 2-3 weeks away from contestants who have seen James on TV before playing against him.
Interesting. By that point (assuming he keeps winning and maintains his per-show average winnings), he'll already have surpassed Jennings' total dollar amount, which should happen sometime during the first week of June.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I believe he has a pretty severe underbite. When he smiles, his bottom teeth are fully in front of his top teeth. That's why it looks so strange.

You can see it quite well in this photo at full size...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yes, that's exactly right. Both Emma and James made exactly the correct wagers.

Jay is the only one who played it wrong. He shouldn't have bet any more than $4,600 to ensure he would finish ahead of Emma if she got Final Jeopardy wrong. Jay's wager of $6,000 really makes no sense. It doesn't do anything to improve his finish if he gets it right and guarantees he'll finish third if both he and Emma get it wrong.

Oddly enough, even though it flies in the face of conventional logic, Emma is the one who should have gone all-in. If she gets it wrong, she'll almost-certainly lose and there's a good chance she'll finish in third no matter what she bets. If the objective is to maximize your winnings when you win (which it should be), she should bet everything and cash-in big if she gets it right. Finishing with $6,000 or $0 ultimately means going home with the same prize. Going all-in would have meant going home with an extra $6,399.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
This has an interesting format. They will be playing up to a maximum of 7 "matches". Each match will be two regular games played back-to-back with the winner being the person with the highest total in the two games (similar to how they do the finals of the Tournaments).

The overall winner will be the first one to win three matches. The winner will take home a million dollars and the other two players will each get a quarter million.

Match 1 will air on Tuesday, January 7. Matches 2-4 will air over the next three nights. The final three matches (if necessary) will air the following Tuesday through Thursday.

If Holzhauer wins, he'll just pass Jennings on the all-time money list. No matter who wins, Rutter will remain the top total money winner.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I was going to ask about this too.. I know I'm a few pages behind now.. but I'll still comment anyway then read the responses.

I thought the rule was that spelling didn't matter UNLESS it added a whole entire new syllable.
Yes, if the response is phonetically the same, doesn't add or subtract any syllables, and the category doesn't specifically require correct spelling (or have certain restrictions like letters in quotes), the rules say that the response would likely be acceptable (although, always subject to the judge's ruling).

On their website, they even give the example of "Jepurdee!" being a likely acceptable spelling if a correct response was "Jeopardy!"

5 Jeopardy! Rules Every Contestant Should Know | J!Buzz | Jeopardy.com

I wonder what they would do if there was a Final Jeopardy with the correct response of "Leicester Square" but the contestant wrote "Lester Square", which is how the word is pronounced? By their rules, that should be an acceptable response unless the category was something like "ICE" Place to Visit because that would require a word with "ICE" inside of it.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of the "IKEA Effect"? I thought the answer was fairly obvious, but have never heard it called by that name.
It looks like the term was first used in late 2011, so it's easy to understand why it isn't more-widely known: IKEA effect - Wikipedia

I think the general principle behind it has been around much longer though, just this set of researchers decided to call it that. As you say, it was relatively easy to figure out from context.

The only other option I considered was Betty Crocker because of the old story about how when the Betty Crocker mixes were first introduced, you just had to add water and they didn't sell very well; then they changed the recipe requiring you to add water and an egg and it became a success. I thought that would have fit with the clue.

When I remembered the category was International Business, I settled on Ikea.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
When Pat Sajak briefly had his talk show, he continued hosting Wheel of Fortune the entire time (although, he did leave the daytime version, which was still around at the time). Initially, his show was 90 minutes a night, 5 nights a week, so it was a solid time commitment.

I don't know if Call Me Kat got a full season order for its second season, but I'm sure they could find a schedule that works if they decided to give Bialik the full-time Jeopardy gig.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I remember back in the late-80s, CBS gave Pat Sajak a late night talk show. He quit doing the daytime version of Wheel of Fortune, which was still on NBC at the time, but continued with the primetime version.

His talk show was 90 minutes a night, 5 nights per week when it started.

Granted, hosting Jeopardy probably requires more prep time than Wheel because of the number and complexity of the questions, but if Sajak could make that work, I don't see why they couldn't have made it work for Mayim to do both Jeopardy and Call Me Kat.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Mayim has you covered there also.

Yesterday (Wed May 25), DJ round, "My Name is Stephen" category, $400:

A university in Nacogdoches as well as a state capital bear the name of this Texan

Contestant answered "Austin". She replied "Correct, Stephen F. Austin".
As Bobby Hill said when he saw the monument to Stephen F. Austin, "Is that the bionic guy or the wrestler?"

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Maybe they should get rid of the stylus and give them keyboards.
That was my first thought when I saw that.

It also made me wonder if there has ever been a contestant who was unable to handwrite their Final Jeopardy response and what they did to accommodate. Surely, in all the decades the show has been around, there must have been contestants who had some sort of physical limitation that would make hand writing problematic, and there's really no reason why Final Jeopardy needs to be hand written. When the show started, it would have been the best way to ensure all the contestants answered secretly at the same time, but I'd guess that now, even their older contestants are probably more comfortable typing than writing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts