TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
This the first week of the subs I decided to watch (not for any particular reason, as I like some of the others chosen but just didn't feel moved to watch) and I'm so glad.

Mayim did a killer job and was an absolute pleasure to watch. I started a Pass to keep watching.

I really didn't feel smugness. I find her very down to earth and likable. I get a good vibe off of her.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
I meant to say this earlier, but I suspect the micro-pause is for the host to wait for confirmation from the judges if they're not 100% sure they heard the answer correctly or it varied from their card.

One thing I've noticed from most of the guest hosts is an acceptance of 'near answers' that Alex would never have accepted - like pluralizing things, etc.
Oh, I also noticed a couple of times a barely discernible lag a couple of times. I really haven't watched the show in a while, so I wondered if it were them making a call on a close one. If that's the case, I'm glad they do that and that they do it very quickly.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Jeopardy is not prime time in all markets. We get it here at 11:30 am.

Think of it as "regular daily Jeopardy at whatever time it normally airs (prime time or not)", and "special events and special prime time showings such as tourneys and one-offs".

Mike PlasticSmile will handle the regular, and Mayim gets the specials.
Oh wow! I didn't know that it was not an evening show in all markets. Out here in the West, it's always been on at 7pm.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
I really like Mayim and think she does a great job. I think one thing that makes a good Jeopardy host match, for me anyway, is someone who is intelligent. She's intelligent, obviously, and I find her pleasing to watch.

I'm also a big fan of Matt. He is who got me started watching Jeopardy again, as is Mayim.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Matt was on GMA today.

No spoilers (obs), but he did say how good Bialik was and how her energy is infectious.

It's easy to guess why he's in NYC. It could be that he's been beaten and is no longer on the show or simply a break in filming!
Thanks for that info! :) I didn't know so I found the interview online and watched. I'm a huge Matt fan, so it's always fun to hear him talk and hear his stories. He seems like such a nice guy.

If anybody else wants to watch it online, it's only like 3 minutes, so not a time-sucker at all. I would have enjoyed a longer bit, to learn more about him, but I also enjoy how gracious he is.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Me too! I like him well enough but always using "what" to start his answer instead of "who" or "where" really gets to me for some reason. To me, if the phrasing isn't correct it shouldn't be the right answer.
He actually spoke to that in the short GMA interview. He mentioned something about how the rules allow it that way and (NOT verbatim-) he didn't want to clutter his mind with stuff that was unnecessary, so he just keeps that part of it simple and concentrates on the actual answer.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
I get irritated by this stuff too, as well as cursing at the TV when I'm watching WoF and seeing someone buying vowels even though more than enough of the board is already showing that Stevie Wonder could see the answer there in front of them. Buying vowels just helps the other players solve the puzzle (in most cases) as the player spins a few more times before hitting Lose a turn or Bankrupt, handing the half-filled puzzle over to the next player for them to go on to solve.
I haven't watched much WoF in quite a while, but this has always bugged me too. I almost have to laugh when they buy all the vowels, spending a bunch of money, when the answer is in front of your face - then the next spin they get a 'bankrupt' or lose a turn. :D

I can see, sometimes, buying a vowel. But to keep on buying them until you almost fill in every space just seems idiotic to me.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
The one that irked me, I think it was last night but maybe the night before, they asked for the name of a football player and the answer was "Manning" and Ken just said "Yes, Peyton Manning". Since when does the contestant not have to provide the full name if there's a chance of confusion? If the answer was "Roethlisberger" then fine, we all know that's Ben, but "Manning" is not specific enough and he should have required the full name IMO.
I, too, was surprised by that.

You have at least the two Mannings I know of, in football, so I expected him to ask for more.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Sort-of sidebar: Does anybody else who uses Tivo see that next week's episodes are not being scheduled per your Pass?

Actually, I mis-spoke a bit. Next Monday was scheduled but the rest of the week not and they all show 'new' with the date in the synopsis showing new that day.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Are you watching on an NBC affiliate? The Olympics will be pre-empting a lot of evening programming for the next 2½ weeks.
Not NBC. Jeopardy has always been on ABC here, at 7pm. The episodes are on the schedule, they just weren't recording on my Pass. Maybe that will be corrected by guide data connections, but I was afraid I would forget to check on it so I just manually scheduled them. It just seemed odd. :)

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Yeah, for Ken it was "hosting Jeopardy..." and with Mayim it's "the host of Jeopardy...".

I likey, as she is my preference. :) Nothing against KJ. He does a good job. But I just really like her a lot. She always makes me smile and that is priceless.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
She is the host. One of two announced last year. The other is no more. Ken is a guest host.

The hesitation is even on clues where there is only one obvious answer. It's not that.
Yeah, I tend to see any hesitation as giving the contestant until their time is up to complete, or correct, their answer. If they can make it right before the end of their given time, it's all good. I also wonder if, sometimes, the producer is in her ear especially when the host has to ask the contestant to further clarify their response.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Mike Richards was named the host, with Mayim hosting the special evening programs that were planned. She had a sitcom that had been renewed for a second season, and wouldn't be able to give all her time to Jeopardy.

Then all hell broke loose over things that happened when Richards was a producer for The Price is Right I believe. He stepped down from hosting after one week of episodes, and from his producer position on Jeopardy! Mayim was promoted to the only host, but there was still the problem with her sitcom's shooting schedule.

That's where Ken comes in. He is "hosting" on those days that she is not available.

By the way, do you know that the only time during Alex's time as host, the only episode he wasn't the host was on
April Fool's Day 1997 when he and Pat Sajak switched shows.
(Bolded by me) I did not know that! I love fun facts. Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts