TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
22,231 Posts
Just watched an interview with Chu. I've never understood why most people just go down the board in order. If there is a subject you know about why not go for the highest value first and work your way down in value? If you can get a few of those high dollar clues under your belt you can be less risky on the lower value clues in categories you aren't familiar with.

Although from what I've heard a good portion of winning Jeopardy is hitting the button at the right time. But if it is a subject you know well and it is a high value clue your opponents may hesitate a little more before quickly hitting the button.

IIRC didn't Watson bounce around the board a lot as well?

· Registered
22,231 Posts
They had one lady on during the 90's show and Alex said that she was pregnant when she was last on the show then the contestant said that kid was now 10 yo. I'm assuming that she must've been on a reunion show after the 90's or that she was mixing her kids up.

· Registered
22,231 Posts
I went to college in a town that was geographically between two TV markets, so the cable had the major affiliates from each market. One of the markets had Wheel on before Jeopardy!. So a few times my roomates and I watched the early Jeopardy, then when friends would come to our dorm room we would have the later one on and look like geniuses. We only did that for a few games.

· Registered
22,231 Posts

· Registered
22,231 Posts
I don't think the show is rigged, but it is odd how the show suddenly has all these super-champions. I do think it's partially due to Holzhauer changing the whole paradigm of how the game is played with his 'jumping all over the board' strategy to seek out the Daily Doubles and get the high value clues first. I think if someone dials into that, they can jump ahead more quickly early on in the game, especially if they can go after the high value clues early on because they have the timing of the button down and are just more comfortable on stage than the two new contestants.

If they wanted to rig Jeopardy, they could easily do that by changing the response time of the returning champion's button to be even a fraction of a second or so faster than the other contestants. Although I I would imagine there is some sort of check for that. I heard a recent interview with Drew Carey where he was describing how they rigorously test all the games on Price is Right to assure statistical randomness. I don't know if that's some sort of law or regulation or just as a way to assure the producers/advertisers/insurers that the game is fair.

And I loved Mayim Bailik on Big Bang Theory, and she seems like a great person, but I seriously can't stand her as host. Those dramatic pauses she takes after someone provides the question to tell them that they are correct, especially after daily doubles, are so annoying. I miss Ken.

· Registered
22,231 Posts
As much as I don’t like Mayim as a Jeopardy host (I do like her an actor and she seems like a nice person) I don’t think she should have been subjected to having to host that train-wreck. Triple Jeopardy? And that guy who kept changing his accent?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts