TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
I guessed Verne as well. I know he's French but maybe... Wells. Sure.

Clarke or Asimov born in 1866?!?!?! Yikes, clearly SciFi is a category those players know almost nothing about. I wouldn't even have considered them. At least they could name a famous SciFi author though :D.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
Mikeguy has it right. The rules are really simple, and are all based on the title of the thread.

If the thread names a specific episode in the title, information from that episode (and all previous episodes) are not spoilers and don't need to be tagged. Note previews are NOT considered part of the episode.

If the thread contains the word "spoilers" in the title, spoilers don't need to be tagged.

For any other form of thread title, all spoilers must be tagged.

"Spoilers" are information obtained outside of the episode (previews, internet, articles, specials, etc.).

That's pretty much it. If a thread is created with the wrong title, moderators can be asked to change it.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
IMO "Ba" vs "Be" have subtly different sounds. "John" vs. "Jon" are the same sounds but "Barry" and "Berry" are different words with different sounds. I agree that the way the words are normally pronounced it's not easy (or sometimes impossible) to tell the difference, but if you look up these words in the dictionary they will have different pronunciation cues whereas "john" and "jon" will be the same.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
"Taking this" makes it less likely to be "sprint". You "take a shortcut", but you don't really "take a sprint".

Not definitive but definitely a hint as to what they wanted.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
I don't agree that someone's social media posts reveal their "true nature". Social media is at least as, if not more, performative than real life. There's a culture to it that people try hard to fit into, and as well there are huge incentives to be edgy or shocking.

Perhaps Aunt Mabel with 9 followers is just being her natural self and treating Twitter like a private email, but anyone who's a public figure and working Twitter as a part of their job knows full-well what it is and how it works and what you need to do to grow your "brand". The line for acceptable behavior moves over time, though, and if you're trying to push the envelope you're sometimes going to find your past self on the wrong side of it.

I'm not trying to excuse it. I just don't think "in tweet veritas" is fair either.

On the other hand I hate Twitter and Facebook and have never had an account, not even for testing or read-only, on either one, so what do I know? Now, G+ on the other hand, I was all over that... sigh :)

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
Yeah, last night I felt like I knew most of the answers and they were pretty easy, and yet everyone was getting things wrong... sometimes 2 or even 3 times! It was a crazy game.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
Jennings was better than Richards IMO, although we've only seen Richards do 2 shows so who knows. Richards seemed pretty milquetoast to me. He's fine, but I prefer Ken and I hope that if he were a permanent host he'd feel a little more freedom to be himself: he's actually quite hilarious. He started to come out of his shell a bit more nearer the end (not much). I wonder if the game would become a bit more energetic under a full-time Ken host: he seems to like to push the contestants to bet more aggressively.

Of course I'm not saying Ken is the best choice. Just that of the two we've seen so far I like him better.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
I thought that the question was whether he said "kwark" or "kwirk" (which is a different word). I felt that the contestant's pronunciation WAS a little off, and not very clear the first time he said it. I wasn't surprised that they wanted him to repeat it. Even the second time it didn't sound like a clear "kwark" to me. I wonder if he has a little speech tic or maybe he was just nervous :).

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
The thing that had me shaking my head here was the guy who ended up coming in third: his play at the end of the round was horrible. He has control of the board with only a few questions left and a daily double still outstanding where the location is virtually guaranteed to be behind a specific question, and instead of trying to find it he's clearing all these low-value clues! Sure enough, the eventual winner takes control of the board from him and the immediately gets the Daily Double.

Yeesh.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
Weirdly, my TiVo didn't record yesterday's episode. Maybe it was preempted locally for some reason? Or maybe my TiVo decided I didn't really want to watch that :p

I was going to watch one, just to see how bad it was.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
Watched Oz last night. Definitely the worst guest host so far. I will admit I usually FF through the chit-chat with the contestants, so there's only so much damage he can do to the game the way I watch it :)

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
"IKEA effect" was an answer in the NYTimes crossword just last week, and the clue was very close to the one they gave for Jeapordy, so I knew it immediately :). However, I never heard of it before that.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
The thing that always made me laugh was how he went full Rambo on his button sometimes. I mean I've seen people click on it madly but this was a whole other level :).

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
My suspicion is that it's his first show and he was being very careful about any marginally questionable answer. I expect as he gets more used to things he will feel more free to make the call.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,218 Posts
I find this kind of thing happening to me a lot: I'll see something on Jeopardy that was a clue or answer in the NYTimes crossword the week before, or vice versa, or something like that. Obviously clearly coincidence because the shows are taped way earlier but it's still weird when it happens. I think we're just wired to notice stuff like this.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts