TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
The funniest (to me) FJ happened about a month or two ago. The clue was something about "his diary entry" of April <something> 1945, read <something about having no regrets despite it all or something like that>.

I had absolutely no idea, but based on the date, I guessed Hitler.

They go to the third place contestant and she guessed Hitler, and Alex says "no... not even close." :eek:

I was like, "whoa! Dick move Alex!" :)

To his credit though, after they did the wager/total reveal, Alex offered a quick "sorry about that" before moving on to the next contestants.

The really funny part was that the other two guys also guessed Hitler. :)

I think the correct answer was Harry Truman.
Are you sure it was April 1945? Because August 1945 would be right after Truman dropped the bombs on Japan and that would make a lot more sense with the "no regrets" portion of the question.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
Generally, if the last name is enough to clearly question the answer, they will accept it. "He discovered gravity. Who is Newton?" will work.

But if the judges don't think it's sufficient, they usually give you a quick chance to elaborate. But if you don't instantly jump in with "Who is Albert Newton?", they will bzz you.
It wouldn't matter how quickly you jumped in with that answer. They'd buzz you anyway.

:)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
Kind of makes sense, though. If you allow a minor misspelling, then where do you draw the line between that and a larger misspelling. Would it be OK if the contestant spelled something phonetically? I think a hard-line rule of "the answer has to be spelled right to be right" is really the only sensible way to deal with something like that.

Although Trebek could have been less of an ass about it. Admittedly, the answer looks all kinds of wrong when you just glance at it, but there was only one extra letter in there, and the judges had clearly had time to look it over and make a decision.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
Wow.

Woman today was going into FJ ahead, got the question correct, and lost because she didn't bet enough.

Going into FJ

All three got it correct
12,400 bet 12,000 = 24,400
14,400 bet 14,400 = 28,000
15,200 bet 10,000 = 25,000.

What a horrible, nonsensical bet. It made no sense at all.
Crazy. You have to bet as if you're going to get it right and so are the others. If you do that and everyone gets it right, you still win. If you do that and you get it wrong and they get it right, you were going to lose anyway. If you do that and everyone gets it wrong, you'll still win. So betting something other than 13,601 makes no sense in her situation.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
Why 13,601 rather than 12,801?

15,200 + 13,601 = 28,801. But you only need to win by $1; right?
edit: wait something's not adding up with Turtleboy's original numbers. 15,200 + 10,000 != 25,000. So I'm not sure what number you were working from to get 13,601
If 1st place had $15,200 and 2nd place had $14,400, then 1st needs to bet $13,601 in order to get to $28,801 which is one dollar more than 2nd place can get if s/he goes all in.

And there's another mistake in TB's post, in that he says 2nd place had $14,400 and bet $14,400 but only ended up with $28,000. If he adds the extra $800, then my numbers will make sense to you.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
She needed to bet 13,600 to tie and 13,601 to win.

Yes, if they all got it wrong she would have won with $5,200. But betting that everyone will get it wrong is not a good strategy. At least one person gets FJ correct a vast majority of the time.

It looks like that she didn't even think about it. She didn't read up or study J! strategy before going on the show (or forgot it). She just picked a round number.

I'd be interested in seeing interviews with her or if she posts to some of the J! forums.
I wonder if she simply did the math to figure out how much she needed to bet to beat $12,400, forgetting that there was someone with $14,400 as well. Seems like it might be easy to get those two mixed up and have a brainfart. My recording cut off just as they were revealing the correct FJ answer, so I didn't get to see her reaction.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
I'm still a couple weeks behind (thankfully KGO is actually airing them at 10pm as scheduled on nights with sports, but I keep adding a half hour when I notice them in the to do list)..

Anyway.. Total tangent, but something I noticed very recently.. The first commercial break very very often happens when they finish almost exactly 3 complete categories.

I've known for a long time it was about 4 minutes in (a bit more since I skip past the very
beginning up until Alex says his little intro, then skip past introduction of the categories)... but only very recently realized it was almost always 3 complete categories worth of answers shown.
Not almost always. Always always.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
Nope, they'll sometimes go to the first commercial break before 15 clues, particularly if one contestant is dominating.

The J-Archive keeps track -- this past Tuesday's show, the break happened at 13 clues. On Monday's show, it was at 14 clues.
Interesting. I've never seen the break happen at any point other than after half of Single Jeopardy! is complete. I'd imagine that it's well over 95% of the time that it's after 15 clues, right?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
It was the most episodes hosted of a single program. I think Bob Barker would still have him beat overall (thanks to "Truth or Consequences" in addition to "The Price Is Right").
Trebek hosted a few different shows before Jeopardy! but I'm not sure if they add up to as many episodes as Barker did of ToC.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
First day back after the Teacher's Tourney. And lack of basic betting skills cost our champ. It's painful to watch someone lose because they don't know how to bet. And she was a fun contestant to watch.
I watched the Monday episode last night. nobody got final jeopardy correct. wondering...how did betting play into it?
The returning champ was in 2nd place with $10,600. She bet everything and lost. The guy in first place had $11,400 and also got it wrong, but he only bet $9,801 - just enough to beat the returning champ by $1 if they both got it right.

I think what astro is saying is that if you're in second place and it's close, you don't bet it all, because the only way you catch first place is if first place misses the question, and in that scenario it's not going to take a bet of your full amount to win so you have to bet in such a way that you can win if you both get it wrong. In other words, she should have anticipated that he'd bet just enough to beat her if she bet it all and got it right, which means she should have bet $9,000 or less, which would have left her with more than him in the event they both missed.

But then it's kind of an iocane powder problem. What if the champ anticipates that bet and then doesn't bet enough to cover double her amount? So then she has to anticipate his anticipation and bet even less, etc.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
Surprising that someone can accumulate enough knowledge to get onto Jeopardy! and even win a couple of games, yet have no understanding of how to wager properly.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
Tonight's episode had a couple unusual things. First, I think it had the biggest disparity I've ever seen at the first commercial break: $9,600, $600, -$400. The lady in the lead hunted and pecked for a DD and when she got it she made it a true DD and doubled up.

But then toward the end of DJ, she got cocky. With the score $19,800, $14,000, $6,200 (she was in the lead), she got the last DD and bet $12,000 and lost, putting her way behind with only a couple clues left.

But ultimately it didn't matter. The returning champ was the only one who got FJ right, and the cocky challenger finished in 3rd place because she bet everything, while the guy in 3rd place left himself $1.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
Along with Vulcanology for Quinto (Spock) and something about Runways for the female contestant who had something to do with fashion and perhaps Project Runaway.

Yes, the writers knew what they were doing.
He's not talking about the fact that the clues were subtle (or not so subtle) puns on the contestants. They did that all week with all the celebs.

Just think about how the SNL version of Sean Connery would read this category:

"The PEN IS Mightier"

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
The Penn Jillette pun on that show was the Bull ____ category (as Penn demonstrated).

I figured they did The Pen is Mightier not because of Penn, but because they had to. :)
I didn't see this episode, but in all the other rounds of Celebrity Jeopardy! This week, they had puns for the contestants in both rounds, so I'd say they were both put there because of Penn.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,327 Posts
I'm always surprised at how dumb the celebrities are. But I guess that's why SNL makes fun of them in those sketches.
And then NFL QB Aaron Rogers came on and was phenomenal. And he didn't even look like he was trying.

Meanwhile, Bellamy Young also did really well, but she seemed like she was about to have a heart attack every time she buzzed in.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts