TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
I don't think I knew exactly where it was, but I knew there was some sort of indictor.

Though I FF through virtually everything BUT the actual game part. I skim through the commercials since once in a while they have an 'extra' segment (usually it's right at the beginning of the commercial break, but not always), and sometimes at the beginning of a segment he corrects a previous 'question', changing scores.

The vast majority of the conversations with players? FF through, except if (1) she's hot, (2) sometimes for celebrities, (3) eventually with Ken Jennings just to figure out HOW he'd find something new to say.

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
What continually surprises me is that more contestants don't bet to tie. In your example, why not bet $1000 instead of $1001? If they tie, they both come back.
Tieing is obviously better than losing.. but if you tie, you know you're coming back against someone who's really smart. If you get a new player, you might be smarter than they are.

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
Here is a reply from one of the contestants on that episode. Talk about "from the horse's mouth".:up: She was the current champion, and was in first place at FJ. She was not the one who made the bet I am referring to, that was the 2nd place contestant.
ok, I heard someone else mention 'consultants' on jeopardy too.. IIRC, it was one of the "Doug Loves Movies" podcasts where they were ranting about Jeopardy! wagering!

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
Very little of the original 1960s/1970s run of "Jeopardy!" survives, but they did save a clip from a celebrity match in which Gene Shalit buzzes in and answers "the NBC peacock," gets reminded by Art Fleming to phrase it in the form of a question, and then says, "Has anyone around here seen the NBC peacock?" He's counted correct.
Can you give me a summary of how much exists? Days? Weeks?

I remember reading a very detailed list of what of the 1970s Hollywood Squares remains, though IIRC, that was slightly out of date since they subsequently found some more.

Not like I'm actually going to go search for it, but I think it'd be interesting to see entire shows of the original Jeopardy!

BTW, I don't think it was unclear. It probably could have been worded BETTER, but I do think it's typical of the Jeopardy style wording.

I can't think of other "question styles", but every once in a while while watching the show, I wonder if it were worded in a different way, if they'd accept it.
(I probably would do the "Que es .." form for Spanish answers/questions.)

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
To side track even further...
I missed a few eps last week, so I don't know if the guy is still on, but the current champion is a world class a-hole when it comes to picking answers. Most people go from the top to the bottom, but not this guy. Give me this for 800, give me that for 400, give me this for 1000.
That style of random order picking gets on my last nerve when watching the show.
Wait, he was the BEST Daily Double finder ever! I think I might try his technique if I'm ever on. Even simply starting at 600 and going up seemed to work.

(I also notice when people start on the RIGHT end, since Alex mentioned long ago that people usually go left->right.)

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
I'm not reading the spoilers about this until I catch up.. But we did learn something a few weeks ago that I hadn't known before..

Unfortunately I don't remember the details, but one guy said something like "I wanted to bet $X but you wouldn't let me". Like they wouldn't let him bet too small of an amount for a Daily Double. Does anybody remember that?

They CAN bet $0 for Final Jeopardy.. so why couldn't they bet $0 for Daily Double?

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
Because with a $0 bet on a Daily Double, the clue and answer would be superfluous -- there's not really any reason even to give the clue. It takes the drama out of that clue, and I would guess the producers think that such an event makes the game less "fun" for the audience and therefore bad for ratings, and therefore bans it.
I mean, I figured out that logic too.. but sometimes a player gets hosed when they get the DJ answer as the LAST or NEARLY last answer in the DJ round. If they are slightly above 2x the next player, it can make it NOT a runaway...

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
Yeah, I remember seeing (in the middle of the night) a tease on CNN (which I usually tune to to have in the buffer) about Jeopardy.. Then it's now a day or two later, and I'm seeing all of these articles....

and this really didn't sound new at all. There have been people who jump around for a long time.

I haven't caught up yet, I think I'm about a week and a half back (luckily, I "randomly" recorded a "To Be Announced" show on the night of the state of the union and it HAPPENED to actually be Jeopardy!)

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
The big deal is basically gaming it to win rather than trying to have fun, and at least giving the people at home a chance to play. (It's actually quite important - half the fun of watching Jeopardy is trying to answer it yourself)
But when I know the answer (I'd say a huge proportion of the time -- that does NOT mean I'd actually do well on the show), I know it while Alex is still reading the question (and of course you can't ring in successfully then).

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
Just watched an interview with Chu. I've never understood why most people just go down the board in order. If there is a subject you know about why not go for the highest value first and work your way down in value?
The Daily Double clues *tend* (no citation provided, hopefully someone else has done the analysis) to be the higher value clues. So banking up the money from the lower value clues lets one have more money to wager on Daily Double clues.

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
That's a lot of money to pay out. Jeopardy doesn't even pay 2nd and 3rd place. Alleve does.
Actually, it seems like only sometimes.

Alleve isn't the sponsor during ANY tournament, are they?

I can sort of understand purposefully not being involved in a teen/kid tournament, being medicine and all.. but there are various other times they're not a sponsor too, and I think it's always during tournaments.

I know to stop 30 second skipping on my ipad app when I hit the "looks like a Jeopardy answer but it's really an Alleve ad"... and noticed long ago that sometimes it's missing.

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
More than hinted. He has come out and said he plans to retire when his contact is up in 2016. (but yes, no official announcement.)
There are several times lately, where Alex has referred to people wanting his job... I keep expecting someone to make a joke along the lines of "You've already quit the National Geographic Bee, when are you quitting this?"

(I pretty much only ever listen to the talk to the contestants when it's these recent tournaments of old players, or celebrities..)

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
I'm still a couple weeks behind (thankfully KGO is actually airing them at 10pm as scheduled on nights with sports, but I keep adding a half hour when I notice them in the to do list)..

Anyway.. Total tangent, but something I noticed very recently.. The first commercial break very very often happens when they finish almost exactly 3 complete categories.

I've known for a long time it was about 4 minutes in (a bit more since I skip past the very
beginning up until Alex says his little intro, then skip past introduction of the categories)... but only very recently realized it was almost always 3 complete categories worth of answers shown.

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
Over the history of Jeopardy there have been far more male winners than female winners. I've read that women answer questions just as often as men do, but they don't bet aggressively enough in DJ and FJ.
But you also need to know the percentage of women contestants _at all_ to reasonably do a comparison. (I also presume you mean answer questions _correctly_.. or snarkily, correctly question answers.)

·
Registered
26,347 Posts
Thursday was a great example of how not to play FJ. First place gets it right, but loses since he doesn't bet enough to cover 2nd. Dumb dumb dumb...
Wait, didn't this happen to one of the recent women contestants too? (I'm almost caught up, I have only a couple, maybe this week at most, backlogged.)

Also, weren't both of the giant killers (winners over Ken Jennings and the recent woman long running contestant) either one-time winners, or at least very very few eps?

1 - 20 of 184 Posts