TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 129 Posts

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
The second I saw his answer... er, question, I knew they would ding him.
Same here. But in my case I thought, "they're going to zing him BECAUSE of the recent dustup with the kid." Circling the wagons. Prior to that incident, I think this spelling would have been accepted. I've seen worse accepted, far worse.

In the other direction, I've seen phonetically equivalent spelling rejected. Starting a name with C instead of K is one I think I remember; the principle seemed to be how drastic the misspelling was, rather than pronunciation. But after the kid thing, they're focusing on pronunciation.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
This discussion of the last episode needs a reset on the numbers. I had watched it, I thought I had understood the errors as they happened in the final betting, but these messages have me all confused. Damned if I'm going to find a copy and watch the end again!

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
Only one in the room who got the right president, then totally derided by everybody because, well I assumed "other than president" and said 1956. You'd think once you got the idea of a general (Grant or Jackson[though he got the year way wrong] you'd think Eisenhower.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
Most people who get on the show know most of the answers.
That is an absolutely true statement. However, "most" varies from 75-90%+ and you can clearly see that variation over time.

Also, there are differences in how quickly the board "answers" are parsed, you can see that most obviously in the silly categories but it's there all the time. Only if you are very quick at this can you easily use the strategy of choosing the higher value questions in a category early (board hopping).

Then there are split second variations in how quickly the "question" response initially comes to mind. You can have multiple contestants who know the correct response but some take an instant more to get to complete commitment.

Finally there is a very broad category of board awareness. Things like how much you lead by or need to take the lead and how much value is left on the board and where. Just what the categories are; that's amazing to me how contestants come up with a reasonable answer but inappropriate to the category; also the category is a huge mindset clue as you're parsing the answer.

But when you get three strong contestants as we've had in a couple of recent days the games become simply a physical clicking contest, involving reflexes just as you say, and of course timing/rhythm.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
... I have reviewed the TV forum rules twice now, and I don't see anything to scold Turtleboy for. Is this one our TCF Unwritten Rules?
It's written, in sub-paragraph 22 (you may not have caught that): "Members are required to scold Turtleboy regularly. and insufficiently high scold ratios will result in bans until reasonable ratios are restored."

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
The show airs at 930 AM central time in Montgomery, Alabama, which is where most of the same day spoilers come from.
This post has nothing to do with today's show but may be a longer term spoiler that some fans might not want to know about.

There are data guide services (I don't think Rovi) that describe upcoming episodes by listing contestant names.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
Agree with your second spoiler, nessie. Absolutely off the mark in some coverage.

As far as his FJ strategy being "not perfect" as mentioned in another post, it was exactly the correct thing to do in the circumstances. Took a lot of discipline; I personally would have had visions of the flashy news coverage "$2.5 million Champ loses by a dollar."

In my alternate universe it would have not been the easy Shakespeare question but a tough one that both I and Emma got wrong and the guy in the middle would have doubled to win!

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
And what would that have accomplished?
People are still saying that today. Only thing I've heard from somewhat rational people is that James should have hoped for Emma to have a complete brain lockup on her bet. Their argument is that it has happened before in similar situations. Three problems with that line of thought: James had already heard about her studying Jeopardy academically; she had displayed cool headedness under fire during the game in real time, now she had several minutes to think it out; the odds of a brain lock in any case are much longer than that she would simply get it wrong.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
So what happens without the A? My wife thought she might have gotten away with it if the a were lower case, an article rather than a real person's initial. Didn't matter.

In regular play Alex may ask for more info, right? But final has to be complete?

Brain freeze on the bet amount for the low person, didn't matter but you'd think they'd think. Also, high better could have left a tiny bit more wrong answer money on the table just in case something crazy happened. Why not exactly a dollar more?

Don't think any of that is spoilers but if anybody cares to reply, the replies could be.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
As much as I found his play interesting, I've really enjoyed the show since James left. I find real contests more enjoyable. I tend to lose interest with day after day of run away wins.
I think a little shot of Jamesian Jeopardy is good every once in awhile. I do get the feeling they used up a lot of high-audition-scoring talent in recent "weeks" though so I'm not sure what's left in the queue. Not saying they were trying to knock James off, but I think they wanted competitive games. There were 5-6 people (including Emma) who with a little luck could have dominated a couple of weeks.

One of the reasons I'm hoping for that "Best of James' Competitors Tournament."

1 - 19 of 129 Posts