TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
The most important tactic I learned from J! is never give someone's first name unless it is required. If you give only the last name they will say it's correct. But if you give an incorrect first name, you get it wrong.

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
Someone else just got nailed for spelling.

The returning champion who was in the lead spelled Kazakhstan as "Kazkhistan" and Alex (well,the judges) ruled that because it changed the pronunciation too much, it was wrong.

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
Speaking of Forrest, apparently the current champ, Arthur Chu, (well, I don't watch, so I don't know if he still is) is really aggressive on the "Forrest Bounce" (looking for the daily doubles) and the "Perfect Final" bet......

And is being roundly blasted by Jeopardy! fans, claiming that he's not following the spirit of the game. According to them, a contestant is supposed to row through the categories logically, from least hard to most hard, and be grateful when a DD is found, and bet the Final based on his confidence in the subject, and not maximize his chance of winning.

--Carlos V.
http://www.salon.com/2014/02/04/in_praise_of_arthur_chu_the_game_theory_nerd_who_broke_jeopardy/

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
I was surprised they accepted Ag (rather than Silver) for the Final Jeopardy answer on Wednesday's show. Did that seem odd to anyone else?
I was surprised they accepted "silver" instead of Ag.

Edit: "Of the element symbols that don't match the element's English name, this element's symbol is alphabetically 1st."

Hmm, "this element's symbol" probably should be silver.

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
They're doing the Battle of the Decades and they have Eddie Timanus on. He's blind. If you listen, you can hear a bell ring to tell him that he can buzz in. Usually, there are lights that can be seen by the contestants but not the audience.

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
Anyone else find the battle of the decades this week had very difficult questions ? Also, contestants were supposed to be from shows in the 90's and 2 this week were from 2003. Sometimes they just announce the season, not the year. I found the same with the 80's, some were from the '90's. What's up with that ?
I think they meant the show's decades. So 83 to 93, 93-03, 03-13.

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
And the show never was what Merv Griffin really wanted it to be, which is really giving the answers instead of the question.

Merv's example was A: 5280. Q: How many feet in a mile.

There's no way to have kept that up. So the show quickly changed to just asking the questions in a roundabout matter.

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
Wow.

Woman today was going into FJ ahead, got the question correct, and lost because she didn't bet enough.

Going into FJ

All three got it correct
12,400 bet 12,000 = 24,400
14,400 bet 14,400 = 28,000
15,200 bet 10,000 = 25,200.

What a horrible, nonsensical bet. It made no sense at all.

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
This discussion of the last episode needs a reset on the numbers. I had watched it, I thought I had understood the errors as they happened in the final betting, but these messages have me all confused. Damned if I'm going to find a copy and watch the end again!
I TiVo it.

Category: Bodies of Water

Clue: More than 1/5 of all the world's people live in countries bordering this, the world's biggest bay.

What is the Bay of Bengal?

All three get it correct.

Jen Cosgrove: $15,200+$10,000=$25,200

Gordon Graham: $14,400+$14,400=$28,800...now a 1-day champion with $28,800

Thad McCollum: $12,400+$12,000=$24,400

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
She needed to bet 13,600 to tie and 13,601 to win.

Yes, if they all got it wrong she would have won with $5,200. But betting that everyone will get it wrong is not a good strategy. At least one person gets FJ correct a vast majority of the time.

It looks like that she didn't even think about it. She didn't read up or study J! strategy before going on the show (or forgot it). She just picked a round number.

I'd be interested in seeing interviews with her or if she posts to some of the J! forums.

·
Premium Member
58,079 Posts
I thought it was great! As I expected it came down to Brad and Ken. Actually Roger could have won if he wouldn't have gotten all those Daily Double questions wrong. It's hard to believe Ken missed that question about the Secretaries of State but I also don't think he'd throw a million dollars away.

Close game yesterday! Glad Julia was able to pull out the win.
And if he got them right he would have won. It's how he became the highest one day winner.

I like Julia too. She's the most game winning woman of all time now. I don't know if she's highest grossing or not if you include Tournament winners.

1 - 20 of 286 Posts