TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

· Registered
2,631 Posts
All the smart ones answer 90% correctly. It's the "start with the bottom row" that is unique AFAIK. Lots of contestants hunt for the DD. I can't recall one simply playing "in reverse".

And yes, when you do get to that DD, you have a lot more money than the typical DD hunter, and you bet big. As in all-in big.
I think he hits the $1000 clues first, so he has more to play with if he finds the Daily Double. It's a good strategy since the DD is rarely at the bottom.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I still can't believe that's the one he went out on, all these years later. My FJ percentage would be embarrassingly low if I tracked it, but that one I knew right away.
Yeah, I've always thought, did he miss that it said "white collar"? FedEx's seasonal employees are obviously not white collar. Part of me has always wondered if he wasn't just subconsciously ready to be done.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
Even with taping 5 episodes in a day, I wouldn't think they allow contestants to watch episodes ahead of their open appearance. According to this 2016 article on Jeopardy.com, there are 46 production days per season, but it doesn't indicate how spread out those days are. One unconfirmed source indicated 2 days per week, every other week.

At his Tournament of Champions appearance, Austin Rogers joked about not being paid yet for his regular season appearance. Alex pointed off set and told him his check was on a desk "over there". Even though the 2 appearances were many weeks apart, it implied they were taped very close together.

I think the recent All-Star Team Championships were taped several months before airing.

Long story short: I don't think any of the contestants that have gone against James so far, have known in advance they were walking into a buzzsaw.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I've been watching the faces of his opponents at various times--when he beats them to a click, when he makes DD wagers, etc. Many times, they are literally jaw dropping. The rest... frustration.

His click reflexes are amazing. When you combine a 1% click performer, with a top 10% knowledge base, you get... you can do the math.
A lot of contestants, in general, seem to have trouble with getting the hang of ringing in. Like, if you ring in before Alex finishes reading, you lock yourself out for a moment. They're the ones you see pumping the button like a crack fiend. You have to wonder why no one tells them they look ridiculous.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I'm pretty sure that they do allow people who are taping later in the day to watch the other shows.
It's possible. Just struck me as weird that they would allow that.
In the interview with James posted earlier, he mentioned his favorite moment was when Alex dropped an S-bomb during an end-of-episode conversation, pointing to the next contestants and saying what they were thinking about having to face James.
Yeah, I still wasn't sure that meant they saw the whole thing though. They could've just been there long enough to see the end. Too bad we don't have any former contestants on the forum.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
IMO he's still doing the teeth thing. Just how he looks, I guess. He seems like a nice guy. I love the "all in" gesture.
He has a pronounced underbite and is (probably self-consciously) lining them up when he smiles. I used to do the same with my overbite, until I realized how awkward it looks.
Thanks for sharing. It's rare to read a story with Jeopardy contestants being interviewed (probably because... why?), but in this case, going up against James, it made for a very interesting read.
Yes, very interesting, and settled a question from earlier, as to whether or not contestants were able to watch episodes being taped before their own.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
So he's a menace because he starts at the bottom, answering the (presumably) harder questions first? He's hardly the first to try a strategy other than a top-down approach. Nothing is stopping the other contestants from also trying his approach. A few have tried, but you still have to ring in first and answer correctly.

James isn't unbeatable. No one is. It's just a question of when. Everyone stumbles. He came close on Monday. Eventually, someone will be there to take advantage. And until then, it's fun to watch.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I didn't say it had to make sense. I just said that it made no sense.

I'm not sure why folks keep reading stuff into my post that I didn't say.
I didn't say that you said that it had to make sense. I was simply saying that he said what he said to sell the show. I quoted you for clarity, because your comment was the part of the conversation I was continuing with. Had I not quoted you, and others had posted between us, it may have appeared I was commenting on their post, rather than yours.

tl;dr: You're reading into my comment, while complaining I'm reading into yours.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I'm forgetting the names, but wasn't there a guy that did the "jump around to find the Daily Double" in the past few years, BEFORE everybody got mad(*) at the Asian guy who did the same thing?

(*) minor news item, really. Less so than the current Jeopardy coverage.
Probably, although I can't recall who it might have been. No idea why not always going top down upsets some people. If they don't clear the board, that approach leaves the most money on the table.

I can understand starting at the top to get your feet wet, especially with a complicated category. But otherwise, why not go for broke?

· Registered
2,631 Posts
If he has a regular job, does he have to take all this time off out of vacation time? What about if/when he goes back in September for the next season filming? "Hi boss, I need to request additional vacation time in September"... "what for?"... "uh, I haven't done enough sightseeing in Hollywood??". :rolleyes::)

edit: Ok, he's a pro sports gambler, so I guess he's self employed. nevermind.
His 22 appearances thus far have amounted to 5 taping days. They tape 5 episodes per day, couple of days a week. So even if he worked a regular job, it's not as much time off as it seems on TV.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
They pause taping between Double Jeopardy and Final Jeopardy for around 10 minutes. (so 40 minutes)

IIRC they break up the taping by taping 2 episodes and then 3. (could be the opposite) They bring in a new audience and break for lunch. That break is a couple of hours.

It has been a long time since I attended a taping, but I don't think the break between shows was that long. Less than 30 minutes is my recollection.
This is an interesting read on the subject. They allot 45 minutes to tape each show, with 45 minute breaks in between. Tape 3 with the first audience, break for lunch, then tape the last 2 with the second audience.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
Because the clues are so much easier than regular play yet the teachers don't get them. I am embarrassed for their poor showing. At least with celebrity Jeopardy (which I don't watch either) we don't expect them to be any good.
I don't agree that they're easier than normal for the Teachers Tournament. College and Teen Tournaments, sure.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I think game show spoilers are a bit different than other shows. I don't care if someone is discussing answers or the like. The only thing I wouldn't want spoiled is when James eventually loses. I'd rather see that for myself.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts