TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Regarding the question of whether the news leaked out, I was listening to iHeart on my Roamio yesterday around noon and Mike Moss, whoever that is, who does news at the top of the hour on the station I was listening to, said it had been reported that James Holzhauer lost after 52 wins. I figured that meant the episode in question had just been taped. Later in the day that was corrected and it was clear the news was about that day's episode, which I saw later. On my Roamio, of course.

Today on the Mike Moss report there was audio of Holzhauer saying if he had to lose, that was the way for it to happen, playing a very good opponent, and not messing up.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
[Alex Trebek] suggested his time on the program may be nearing its end. "I will keep doing it as long as my skills do not diminish, and they have started to diminish,"

Alex Trebek Says There May 'Come a Point' Where He Has to Leave Jeopardy!: My Skills 'Have Started to Diminish'
I can't tell that it has happened yet. He messed up yesterday and called Pinky from Pac-Man "Dinky" and apologized, but come on. He's 79. For someone as sick as he is, he's doing an amazing job.

Anyone know when the last episode airs before he begins treatment again? I'm not confident he can continue to host while getting treatment. That would be hard for anyone.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
When do the Vanna hosted episodes of Wheel air?

I haven't watched Wheel *regularly* in decades (I think everybody says this and I'm pretty sure I have here before too -- I liked it when they had to buy crap, like the porcelain dog).

But it'd be interesting to see at least one or two of the batch (??) of episodes she did when Pat was in the hospital/out.
I'd like to see that myself. I haven't watched the show in years.

I am glad they quit having to buy stuff. Pat would tell them they had enough money to buy whatever so they had to buy it. I later heard they couldn't just give up stuff they didn't want because they had bought it. Well, maybe they didn't want to buy it. I think they should have been given the cash instead once they found out that because they bought it they had to keep it.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Contestants could decide to decline prizes they'd "bought" after the show (but not get any kind of cash equivalent). Contestants being able to decline prizes is also true of "The Price Is Right" -- and was true back in the days when "Jeopardy!" gave prizes to the 2nd- and 3rd-place contestants.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
The last couple days have been really depressing. After a run of strong champs, plus the GOAT tourney, we now have clue after clue with the contestants staring at each other. I don't know that I've ever seen so many clues go unanswered. Two days running.

And the wagering... :eek:. One guy is down by thousands, "Less than a minute left", and he picks the low dollar clues. Hello? HELLO?? Anyone home?
This one contestant who was very nervous was in the red more than anyone I can ever recall, and yet she responded knowing it couldn't possibly help her. Now the only reason I can think of is that her action might have possibly changed the outcome for one of the others, but I don't see why she would have done it.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
A contestant this week was named Greg Kihm. I was disappointed that his name wasn't mentioned when Alex talked to the contestants. He lost and there was not a second chance.

Before this series began, Greg Kihn Band had a hit song with the words "our love's in jeopardy" which the great Weird Al turned into "I Lost on Jeopardy". I can't help but wonder if Merv was inspired by that song to bring the show back.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
When Kris won Tuesday, he looked very surprised. Alex made a point of mentioning this yesterday and they even showed video. That will be one of the historic moments that will be seen again and again.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
One thing I don't like about the show is the most likable contestants don't always get to stay around. It's all about talent or luck. If I remember correctly, the person who beat Ken Jennings was one of those. She stayed only one more episode.

But Meggie has managed to stay around. This being a tournament, though, this is her last night.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
???

Second place gets $2,000. Third place gets $1,000. Second had a lock on second, only to literally give it away.
Right. I meant the cash shown as a score. That's also true with tournaments. You get the cash only if you make it to the finals, but otherwise it's just a score and if you are going home, you win whatever the amount is for those who got that far.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I forgot one other thing. I like that Alex actually asked the questions (sexist questions, some would say). I even backed up during the intro, to see if he really said the guy was a nurse. I didn't even realize the female player was a carpenter, until the little interview section.
I noticed, and that would have been quite unusual back then. Of course, Karen was a Carpenter.

They had a category about country music on one of the episodes, and it was really about country music! Now "classic country" in 1985 ... THAT would have been something.
Also, the weird "come up close then zoom out to show their score" when contestants give the question is very very strange/disconcerting.
I was going to say this.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I agree that if it had made a difference she should have gotten it. We knew who she meant.

To this day I still remember someone being ruled wrong on Kyrgyzstan. I forget whether that ruling was ever reversed, but come on! That was a perfectly logical way to pronounce it. So there's not a vowel there. How do you pronounce a z followed by an s?

I'm curious to know how contestants protest. You never see it on the air but you have to figure they would ask for a ruling.

And these rulings are always magically made whenever there is a Daily Double or a commercial. That's got to mean they stop tape when the person hits the Daily Double and if there is a ruling needed, those making it are hard at work until they find the solution.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
If you say Kyrgyzstan backwards do you go back to the 5th Dimension?
I don't know but I like their music.

Kelly was way too perky last night. It was cute the first time but if she was going to keep doing that, I'm glad she didn't win. She was ahead there for a while.

1 - 20 of 469 Posts