TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 37 Posts

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
Just saw the full episode, it's on YouTube now. What has been overlooked is how good the 3rd place contestant was. Over 11k against those two. If just a couple of those answers had gone to James he would have won. On any other day, he probably would have won 30k

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
I'm not going to pirate it. I'm just keeping track of the eps I'm missing.. when the James eps show up on Hulu or whatever in a couple of years, I hope I'll catch the ones I miss.

Hopefully at some point Sony will wise up and put Jeopardy online.. Even with forced commercials, I'd use it to watch the preempted episodes.

Though KGO claimed "they can't rerun" the episodes.. Yet as far as I could tell, last night's Jimmy Kimmel primetime ep didn't run at all (the game ran very long?).. But 10-11pm, they DID rerun two recent James episodes... not ones that were otherwise preempted.. at least I remembered the first one, I think I checked in for a minute or two during the 2nd one too.
You could do what I do. Get an HDTV antenna and watch for free OTA (I no longer have any cable). Except that, my antenna picks up all the local channels except for the one that shows Jeopardy. What else can a Mets fan expect?

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
Just watched with my brother. As soon as we saw 1935 motercycle accident, we knew right away, and laughed about how easy it was , sure everyone would get it right. But discussing it after, it's only because we have seen a certain movie many times. If we had not, probably would have had no clue. Obviously none of the contestants have seen that movie.

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
The most stunning thing I have ever seen on Jeopardy. I am watching the Seth Wilson collection on Netflix. He had won over $200k. Halfway thorough Double, he had a huge lead, but 2nd place contestant came back. Going into Final, he had 19k, she had 17k. The category was The Economy, question Too Big to Fail. Margie bet it all and got it right, Seth bet $5! And got it right and lost.

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
watching another in the Seth Wilson collection. Going into Final, he has 21k, 2nd place has 18,800k, 3rd place 4600K. This is the answer-

The Zambezi river reaches the ocean in this country which lends it's name to the body of water where it happens.

I had no clue, guessed South Africa which 2nd place also did. Knew it was wrong. So did she I think, wrote it down at the last second. Seth quessed Zambia. All three got it wrong.

But how can you bet nothing when you are in 1st place? The only reason is if you are unsure of the catgegory but to me, you can't assume the other players are going to get it wrong. But, in this case he was right. If you see my post above, he did the same thing on his final appearance. Bet $5 and got it right and still lost.

Well, you can't win over 200k without getting some breaks.

ETA, just found this - Wagering Strategy 101: How To Bet In Final Jeopardy - The Jeopardy! Fan The person in 1st place gets it right 88% of the time.

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
Looks like I am right that Final has been more difficult this year. I could not find combined stats for the entire history but I looked at several seasons and they are basically the same. It has been answered correctly about 50% of the time, for all players. All get it wrong 15-20% of the time. This year overall 31% have gotten it right, all 3 missed 50% of the time.

J! Archive - Final Jeopardy! Round statistics - Season 37

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
Thinking I would have to do a book report every month I read the condensed "Count of Monte Cristo". The full-size version would have been too long. I got the general idea. I never had to do the report. This is what I guessed.

I knew it wasn't "Frankenstein" because of the date but I saw the Robert DeNiro movie several months ago and immediately thought of how he behaved. Although he was a nice man for the most part, he wanted nothing more than to get revenge on his creator and so he changed completely whenever he got an opportunity to do that.
Frankenstein was my guess because I didn't realize it was written in 1918. I thought Moby Dick was written about 1870 so I didn't even consider it

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
Brayden is a monster. I love that look he makes when a DD is being read. And I don't think he's missed one yet. I think yesterday's FJ was the first wagered clue he's missed.

FJ was easy if you knew what "visage" was, tough if you didn't. It helps that I love the Steve Martin movie, so I'm familiar with the story.
Well, darn. I know what a visage is, but when I looked up the clue I could only think of Don Quixote. "Ornament" threw me, I took it literally

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
Exact dates for everyone -- interesting that they're going down to 1-week stints to close out the season.

Bill Whitaker - May 3-14
Buzzy Cohen - May 17-28 (Tournament of Champions)
Mayim Bialik - May 31-June 11
Savannah Guthrie - June 14-25
Sanjay Gupta - June 28-July 9
George Stephanopoulos - July 12-16
Robin Roberts - July 19-23
LeVar Burton - July 26-30
David Faber - August 2-6
Joe Buck - August 9-13
Great, another broadcast where I'll have to mute Joe Buck. Actually I've seen a couple of interviews with him, he's smart and can be funny. Just boring calling a game

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
She was as good as I thought she would be. As someone said on another board, she radiated intelligence, but I didn't get a feeling of smugness. She read the clues flawlessly at a good tempo. I predict it will come down to her or LeVar. Both were on hugely popular shows (not news shows) so I think both will get good ratings.

·
Ex-Smoker
7,599 Posts
I finally got around to watching the ToC. Buzzy was good, I would be ok with him but like Mayim a little better

I don't really care that much as long as the host does not annoy me in some way. I never watch live and I skip the interviews. As long as the host reads well and only interrupts if she has something really interesting or funny to say (And only very occassionally), I'm good

But I would like to see Mayim get it as a role model for young girls. She is a big advocate of encouraging them to get into STEM jobs

1 - 19 of 37 Posts