TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
Jeopardy is usually my bedtime viewing - and I have to watch fairly or my 91-y-o Fil emails us all about it along with the baseball scores (I guess we can't look them up ourselves, and who cares about the Rays anyway!!).

tonight, however, it was spoiled by USA Today and even FlipBoard as they raced to tell the world that he broke the $1 million mark!

Yes, it's compelling viewing, but are you cheering FOR him or, like many people who would tune in to Mohammed Ali, wanting to see him lose?

My DW made the comment about Ken Jennings and how the woman who 'beat' him was defeated the very next day. I had to point out that she didn't actually beat him, he got FJ wrong nd beat himself - otherwise he'd probably still be on it (not really)!

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
Who just throws away $1000?

Today's FJ had all three contestants locked in place. The leader had a runaway, and second had far more than double third's money. So what does second do? Wager all her money less $5. And ending up in third place. $1000 instead of $2000.

Why???
One of the dumbest bets I've ever seen.

I think the worst bet ever was one of the junior tournaments where the leader had a runaway score and a sure trip to the next round. Until he bet everything on FJ, that is! He lost to someone who had just one dollar after both failing to get the answer!

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
I’m dreading Monday. Nothing against Ken, I think he’ll be fine, but no Alex will be hard. I almost sobbed aloud watching last night.

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
When they aired the week of "historical" shows as filler after the Covid screwed up filming, they aired Alex's first show and he wasn't yet Jeopardy Alex.
It was actually TWO weeks of shows and it had nothing to do with Covid. Filming was not 'screwed up' at all - well, beyond what was going on anyway. The producers worked around Alex's health and frailty and/or any treatment he was having. They decided not to air Alex' final episode of Christmas day, so they added the two weeks of favorite episodes.

Even after all his experience on other shows, he spoke too fast and seemed nervous just like Ken. It took a little time to get in the groove.
Ken's voice is a little higher pitched and much faster than it needs to be. I agree he was ok and I could get used to him, but it will be interesting to see what the others can do, including Mayim Bialik!

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
I like him. He seems a little less 'forced' than KJ, but time will tell.

I just with they'd both reduce the use of and find an alternative to 'We were looking for...'!

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
See? 3rd place did the right thing! 1st and 2nd place were tied. They both risked it all. 3rd place risked nothing. Triple stumper.
3rd place wins!
Future Jeopardy contestants take note!
Gee, thanks for the spoiler!

I guess I don't need to watch it tonight.

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
Who says they have to have a permanent new host?

In the UK, when Angus Deayton was accused of wrongdoings, instead of replacing him as host of the long-running (comedy news panel show) Have I Got News For You, they have had a different 'guest host' every week. The formula is the same and the ability of the hosts varies considerably, with the bad ones being extremely entertaining because of how bad they are! Guests include comedians, actors, sports personalities and even politicians!

The program has been running like this for several years now.

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
Jury's still out for me.

To be fair, I'm not sure it's Katie or just hearing a female voice.

I'm missing Alex all the time!

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
A quiz show is a type of game show. Both descriptors are correct for Jeopardy.
I respectfully disagree. A game show has an element of luck, whereas a quiz show relies on the contestant's ability to answer questions.

For example, The Weakest Link at first appears to be a quiz show, but the best player can be voted off no matter how good (or bad) they are. That makes it a game show.

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
Dictionary definition of "game show" (notice the second OR): "a television or radio program in which contestants answer questions or play games of skill or chance in order to win money or other prizes."
STILL different from a quiz show.

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
I think the search for the next host is ongoing. The reason for the guest hosts is to provide for show continuity while it happens. I mean, in normal times they'd probably suspend taping and air old episodes, but these aren't normal times. It's probably convenient they can get guest hosts in at the same time.

I'm thinking there's a good chunk of the population that's just happy there's one thing they can still count on - Jeopardy! will be on right after Wheel of Fortune, and in the topsy-turvy world we're in right now, it's a reliable anchor fo life.
Actually, in some markets, it's the other way round and Jeopardy! is first! My FiL in Florida often would comment on what happened in the show before it aired here in GA.

As far as a new permanent host is concerned, none will be good enough - merely adequate - because they're NOT ALEX!

Reactions: mattack

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
It also may be that he was told to wait for confirmation before declaring a marginal answer as correct. As othres have said, I'm sure he'll get more comfortable as it goes on.

I do think that AC, even after one episode, is the best of the bunch so far.

Of course, as I have said before, none of them will be as good as Alex was because...well...they're NOT Alex!

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
Anyone else record the show on YouTube TV?

I record the show and usually view in bed, but for the past few weeks, there's been a problem with the FF function.. When hitting the FF button, there is no progress bar or preview, so I have to guess how far to go through the ads.

YTTV likes tie-ins with shows. For example, TWD has a creepy zombie hand for the progress bar pointer. However, Jeopardy! is annoying. Nothing else that I've found has this problem.

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
It's fine for me on YTTV so it might be an issue with the local station. I've seen that issue on shows in the past, but it's been a long time so I don't remember which show/channel had the issue.
Well, following a brief chat with TYYV Help, the problem is resolved! Turns out, the issue was the moron behind the remote!

Because it was happening the same on two different ATVs (living room and bedroom), I didn't think to close the app and restart it. When I did, Boom! There's my precious progress bar!!!

..and me having a career in tech, too!

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
St. Martin is actually correct as well. The island is split between The Netherlands and France and that is the French spelling. St. Maarten is the Dutch flavor.

(Yes, I know the question was Dutch related, but either spelling is acceptable).

1 - 20 of 74 Posts