TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
I had seen Mike Richards previously, as host of Divided on GSN. I liked him much better there. The energy felt better, and he seemed to fit much better there.

He was pretty low key and dull as host of Jeopardy yesterday. He may improve, but thus far he would not be my choice as permanent host.

Honestly, I think Ken had done a great job and really wish he'd get (and take/accept) the job. It is clear he loves the game and he does continue to seem to be someone that is easily believable as a person that knows most of the answers and isn't just putting on an act when it comes to asking the questions and sounding knowledgable about the topics.

Reactions: stellie93

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
So the champ is from Medina, Ohio--about 30 miles from me. Explains why he is an Indians Guardians :p fan. :up:
FYP'd there, sorry. Can't leave the non-PC name laying there, ya know. :p

Reactions: stellie93

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
Honestly..... IMHO, out of all the guest hosts.... I think Mike Richards was the best.
When all this is over.... and he has been there for a little while, He will fill the position perfectly and everyone will forget the whole process.
Or, they could be like me and pretty much ignore Jeopardy because they made a poor choice as to new hosts.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
If this knucklehead and his friends and associates haven't scrubbed this stuff from his history by now, he may yet lose the job before he starts it.

Seriously, in this modern era with so many potential digital archives out there, once you say something or do something it is there for good. So I suspect we aren't yet finished with seeing a pattern of bad behavior from Richards, and he may yet lose his hosting gig, depending on how that history is replayed and received in the days of cancel culture.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
Just saw the same headline:
https://theweek.com/jeopardy/100396...e-replaced-as-jeopardy-host-dont-be-surprised

I wouldn't bet on Richards not being replaced. As I suggested above, there's a big chance that any other offensive content is archived somewhere and could be brought forward to throw back into showing the pattern of bad behavior that he has apparently been involved in.

So it seems that he may wind up being the guy that *had* the job just long enough to be replaced as soon as they can get their heads out of their rumps and figure out what a mistake they may have made.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
Nope. Well, yes, but also nope. Guy was a d-bag. He just got caught on it, apparently a little too late.

I will say that I had seen him as a host on shows in the past and didn't find him as bad on those jobs as he was bland on this one. That said, I was unaware, until the news hit fairly recently, that he was such a d-bag. I'm fairly sure that some people involved at T.P.I.R. (or formerly involved there) are thinking that karma is a {insert Samuel L. Jackson's favorite phrase here}.

So, sorry, while it's perhaps a little sad, mostly it is just his own mess and he's reaping what he planted.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
I figured it out guys. They are trying to get the one and only Anchorman, Ron Burgundy, to host.

(actually, given the old SNL sketches, it would be pretty funny to see Will Ferrell, as Ron Burgundy, hosting for a bit, though it might not be too far to the contestants who might not be able to contain their own laughter while trying to play the game)

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
On another site someone said if one of the biggest winners ever is on, there's nothing to be done except edit Richards out of the episode.
I'm thinking they'll air it as it was and then ignore the change in hosts when they pick up from that episode. Maybe they edit out anything that Richards said regarding becoming the new host, but otherwise the game is the game and they air the game as it was played.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
I do wonder though, if Richards worked the whole day, wouldn't it be more like 5 episodes that got taped, not just one episode?

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
I certainly agree they're not going to pretend he wasn't there.

But there will be changes. Gilbert's intro was planned to be special. I don't know what they actually did yesterday but if it was "new host" that will be changed. If Richards did a full-on acceptance speech, that will be cut to simply staring up the game normally. In terms of the other emphasis edits I said I think they'll make, you could be right and they just let it flow. That would be more consistent with their production approach and tendencies than what I said.
That's what I was saying earlier. I suspect they'll edit out any "hey guys, I'm the new host" intro, but then mostly let the game play out. Maybe they put in a little more filler to make up for it, but otherwise I suspect anything that was in the can stays pretty much as it was, though there'll be a noticeable change in who the host is after a few episodes.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
The show makes well over $100 million per year in profit. I think anyone who is in line to get the host job (and their agent) will know this and will be able to use that to negotiate. That's just the market for these types of jobs. I'd be very surprised if the new host made less than $10 million per year.
Maybe, but for now, unless we're talking about a well known host, I don't see where they have to pay all that much to the host. We keep getting "the game is the star" and keep hearing that it doesn't really matter who the host is, especially for people that were willing to accept Richards even with the first round of his baggage known. You now seem to be arguing that isn't the case and the host must be paid.

I'm sure that they'll be paid, but I'm also fairly sure that Sony will keep it as cheap as they can. So I wouldn't assume that the host is going to make big bucks anytime soon.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
Because that's how the entertainment industry works. If you're the public face of a property that's making $100 million per year in profit, you will get a big payday. I guess we'll just have to wait to see who the new host is and whether the contract terms become public, but I think the agent for anyone that's in contention will insist on their client making at least $10 million.
If you are a no-name, you don't get much at all. That is also how the entertainment biz works. If they bring in someone that is not well known, then I wouldn't expect them to get paid that much. In future years, when they are a known quantity, maybe, but as a new host, not so much.

And btw, look at the history of how Sajak got the job over Woolery. Some times people try to get more than what the show runners wish to pay. The talent can be replaced. It isn't that tough, no matter how tough Sony has made it look this time :p

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
Not that I said "anyone who is in line to get the job." They're not going to hire a no name. They could and the show likely wouldn't really suffer much, but they're not going to.
Famous last words.

We don't know who they will give the job to now. Honestly, given what happened with Richards they may be far better off just hiring a lesser known name. It saves them money, and it gives an excuse for "give the new host a chance, they're new" vs. it being someone that brings along any history with them.

They may go with someone like Buzzy, but if they do, are they really going to pay that much? I don't think so.

At this point though, the search is now being done more secretively and it seems that none of the earlier guest hosts are really under consideration -- including Jennings (and even including Bialik as she's just getting a guest host gig again for now).

Things are very different now than they were in the 80s. Now it's very well known how much money these syndicated game shows shows spin off. The show runners will pay what the market rate is, and that's going to be many millions per year.
Rookie players in sport know how much the teams are worth too. Does that mean they get to get paid what Brady or Lebron makes? Not so much, so not really a factor here, at least not at first.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
230 episodes per season. 20 surprising things you didn't know about 'Jeopardy!'.
Just to carry the sports analogy a little further and/or play with simple math, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see salaries that are much like "average" salaries in baseball where there are 162 games, with a typical player playing in about 140 of those. Doing the math on the minimal salary for baseball, divided by number of games, it's something in the neighborhood of $20k - $40k per game played that is earned. Less per game obviously if someone plays in more games per season, but then they likely don't earn just league minimum.

If they hire a lesser known name as host, I'd be expecting them to pay about $10 - $20k per episode. After all, they normally are paying out about $12k in winnings (on average) What are the Average Winnings of a Contestant on Jeopardy? - The Jeopardy! Fan

Again, Sony has been cutting corners where they can. Personally, I think that is part of why they were willing to/perhaps eager to give the job to Richards.

Regardless, if you do the math, $20k per * 230 episodes, that works out to $460k $4.6m for a host.

Compare that to a lot of other jobs, even in entertainment and it ain't that bad. Hell, compared to what they had been paying, it saves Sony $13.5m per season. That is a lot of potential profit for Sony to bank for a while.

5 years later, maybe they pay a lot more. But for now, unless they are paying for a name, I don't think they're gonna pay that much. Remains to be seen, but I'd bet on it, especially if I thought I could hold the other side to honoring the bet and having to speak up about being wrong (and stubborn).

For the record, if they were to go with "Alex's choice" of Laura Coates, then info here: Laura Coates CNN, Bio, Age, Husband, Height, Children, Salary and Worth seems to show she isn't raking down all that much currently in her other jobs/roles.

And for most game show hosts, see here: Game Show Host Salary the riches aren't really there.
comparably said:
Salary Ranges for Game Show Hosts
The salaries of Game Show Hosts in the US range from $18,000 to $86,780 , with a median salary of $27,082 . The middle 50% of Game Show Hosts makes between $24,070 and $27,052, with the top 83% making $86,780.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
Alex's salary of $18 million per year was not because he'd been in the job for 35 years. It's not like that was the result of regular raises. It was because that's the market rate for that kind of job as the public face of a show that makes a boat load of profit every year. It probably won't take more than a few years before the new host is making more than Alex was, simply because that's what these jobs pay.
Alex's salary was very much because of the number of years he had been doing the job and because of the show's fans and their love of him as the host. Many saw Alex as the game. He was the face of the show, but it took those years to take on that role. He deliver ratings while he was the host. He was consistent. He helped them bring in ads and sponsors, etc., that helped the show turn the profit that it was turning. If he was dumped there would have been a huge backlash. Especially after he got sick. At that point it would have been a crime to let him go or reduce his salary.

But putting someone else into the role that hasn't earned that good will and doesn't have the following that Alex Trebek had doesn't mean that Sony is gonna back up the Brinks truck and pay whatever is demanded, even if the last guy was earning a lot more.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts