TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Underlining book titles? I never heard of that, except maybe in a bibliography section (which I've seen a million formats for, some of which are underlined, others are italicized, etc).

In general writing, book titles are usually just capitalized or quoted. In modern print, underlining is also considered deprecated - they much prefer bold or italics for emphasis.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Someone else just got nailed for spelling.

The returning champion who was in the lead spelled Kazakhstan as "Kazkhistan" and Alex (well,the judges) ruled that because it changed the pronunciation too much, it was wrong.
Well, there's not country that sounds like Kaz-khis-tan (Khaki-tan?), while the real country Ka-zakh-stan. There's definitely no "is" sound in the country like say, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.

Then again, I suppose Khaki-Tan is a great way to remember the color :).

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Plus I think Ken Jennings is far more personable.

The big deal is basically gaming it to win rather than trying to have fun, and at least giving the people at home a chance to play. (It's actually quite important - half the fun of watching Jeopardy is trying to answer it yourself)

Remember, the goal of the show is to sell ads, and to do that, it helps if the people watching (i.e., the product) are having fun and being entertained, so ads can be sold (the ad company is the customer). "Perfect" play like this to maximize winnings works, but is far less entertaining.

Sort of like being in a class with a substitute teacher who asks a question and the one kid in the room always shoots his hand up and gets called, or playing pool where your buddy just plays perfect shots and never lets you get a chance. It's fun for all about 10 minutes then it's annoying and you wonder what else is on.

Plus, the writers often put a lot of fun in the clues and you lose out on that when the order isn't maintained.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I haven't been paying attention, but isn't Jeopardy way older than just 30 years?
Quite a bit - The original showing started in 1964. However, it entered daily syndication in 1984 hosted by Trebek. There were breaks between 1975-1978 and 1979-1984.

In fact, Weird Al's "I Lost on Jeopardy!" first singled a few months before the regular syndicated version came out in 1984. Which explains why the song seems to reference old Jeopardy. I think it was only a coincidence between the Weird Al song and the daily syndicated show airing a few months later. I know the first time I heard the song I had no clue about it - for me, Jeopardy was always hosted by Trebek (who's Don Pardo again?)

So techinically, Jeopardy!'s been on the air since the mid 70s, though it's current incarnation, and longest running period, is the modern era from 1984 onwards.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I think you're joking, but he just turned 93 IIRC, and I think he still does the announcing for SNL.
Yeah, I was, because well, for me, Jeopardy was always done by Trebek. I have no idea what the earlier shows were done, though I think I have Weird Al's music video which shows a parody set with someone behind the game board removing the wager, revealing the question.

Like I said, I only seen the "modern" version, which always used TV screens. I wonder if someone's actually documented the technology they used to use over the decades it's been on.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Is it me or are they moving the Daily Doubles around now that everyone has adopted the Arthur Chu method of high value board jumping? I mean, it seems like the daily double was hidden near the very end.

I do admit while it's a great strategy for getting ahead, I find it really takes a lot of fun out of the clues to begin with.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I think it's because of the retirement causing a buzz in viewership. Jeopardy (syndicated) along with Wheel of Fortune are quite special - they were among the first game shows to run in a prime time TV slot.

And with the retirement causing a buzz, more people are watching and probably want to see the countdown of days and the new guy. Don't forget a lot of people grew up with the new Jeopardy as well, so it's an old staple they watched, forgot about, then are now watching again.

So they missed all the earlier jumping around, and now they notice it now.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I've always wondered how the captioners could make out what was said - I mean I've had to replay portions several times because I couldn't make out what they said.

It's easy on a scripted show because the captioners have access to the script, but on a reality and game shows, not so much...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
And that's where the confusion begins. "Lines of latitude" run east-west, and while they give a north-south position. Instead, we should call them lines of equilatitude (or isolatitude)- it's a line where the latitude coordinate is the same, similar to how we have isobars (lines where air pressure is the same), and equi-attitude bars on topographic maps (lines all at the same height).

Similarly, lines of longitude specify locations where the longitude coordinate is the same, and they run from pole to pole, while longitude is measured from east-west.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
They probably have live mics during the game itself, but when you see it on TV, it's been mixed and the mics are cut in and out as appropriate (you do not want to mix in all the mics all the time). So the TV mix will cut in the right mic as appropriate, so I'm guessing you may have missed it only because the episode editor was a touch slow with the mixer controls.

So the judges all heard it but the TV mix was slow in cutting to the right mic. I suppose they just didn't catch it which is why it wasn't remixed.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Exactly. Do you risk the sudden death question, which you don't know the subject of, or do you take the confidence in the known? Going into FJ you know the topic, and you can bet $1 or $0 depending on how confident you are on that topic. If you're confident, bet the $1 and avoid the sudden death which may be on a topic you're weak on.

Unless you're weak on the FJ topic, triggering a sudden death with an unknown tpoic is almost always worse. It's also based on buttonwork, too - remember half of Jeopardy strategy is knowing when to push the button.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
While some of the things I'm not surprised by (the FJ cueing, for example, so Alex has a heads up on who got it right and wrong ahead of time), ti almost seems like the episode is edited "live". I always thought they recorded it and just did it all in post since they do about 3 episodes a day. Or maybe the director is cueing the NLE for edit later?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Just one of those oddities I guess... I always assumed they really didn't film it in 30 minutes just to avoid all the hassles of "working live" when you're not really live.

Then again, I suppose back in the 80s when syndicated Jeopardy started they did it this way because that's all the TV equipment could do - NLE was but a pipe dream (it was really, really, really expensive, thus not for game shows), so live to tape was a matter of course because you were filming 3 episodes a day and you only had a couple of hours between "episodes" to reset and edit (without NLE, that would mean hours in the editing booth). And I guess since the crew probably did it for nearly 40 years now, why change things.

So what does everyone do during the parts that the show is playing prerecorded stuff (introduction, commercial breaks, etc)? And does the studio audience see what is happening, or the lights just dim and everyone sits still for 3 minutes?

Of course, new game shows with new crews all make use of NLE and simply film and edit - its the modern way video is edited today from youtube to the biggest blockbusters.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I'm fairly certain they have a tie breaker question all set up and ready. Remember the "game" is already pre-selected before the actual contestants play. So all the categories and answers have been prepared ahead of time prior to taping. There are staff members who are prohibited from interacting with the contestants because all of that is naturally privileged information until they are revealed.

So it's all prepared and locked in, including the tiebreaker, and all randomized and selected ahead of time. So whether of not it can end up in a tie, the question is already there.

And for fairness, you want it that way - the computer has chosen the question, there is no favoritism and scores did not influence anything. Remember they aim for a completely clean game, and having it all done ahead of taping means at no point during taping was there an influence on the game.

It's also why as a contestant, you want to avoid a tie - because there's no preparation for it and the devil you know (FJ) is better than the devil you don't (tie breaker, which could be anything).

1 - 20 of 140 Posts