TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed a couple of shows I wanted to see and downloaded them from Itunes.

I'd like to use the pc to Tivo function to watch the shows on my television rather than on my PC, but I can't figure out how to convert from the MPEG-4 Itunes format to the MPEG-2 that Tivo wants.

If this has been asked before I apologize, but I couldn't find the answer in my searches.

Much thanks in advance.

· Registered
793 Posts
If these are shows downloaded from iTunes, they'll have DRM applied and can't be converted (and I'm not aware of anyone having broken that encryption on the video side just yet.) Barring having TV output on your PC, the only other way I'm aware of to play this on a TV would be sending the video to a video iPod and hooking that up to the TV.

If you could somehow get at the unencrypted MPEG-4, then you'd need software to convert it to MPEG-2, like ffmpeg.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dennis Wilkinson said:
If these are shows downloaded from iTunes, they'll have DRM applied and can't be converted (and I'm not aware of anyone having broken that encryption on the video side just yet.) Barring having TV output on your PC, the only other way I'm aware of to play this on a TV would be sending the video to a video iPod and hooking that up to the TV.

If you could somehow get at the unencrypted MPEG-4, then you'd need software to convert it to MPEG-2, like ffmpeg.
Thanks Dennis. I was guessing that was the case, but hoping it wasn't. Sad that these companies are so fixated on their own DRM that something like an honest transfer of content from one device to another is impossible.

Then they wonder why people use illegal downloads. Sigh.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.