TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it stop writing to the disk? I was thinking it might increase the life of the hard drive.
 

·
TiVoted TiVo User
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
If you tune both tuners to channels you do not receive it is like standby (except for video output being on) until your TiVo records a program. After it records a program it will continue to buffer the channel it was recording. Why not just put it in standby?
 

·
I am the me.
Joined
·
809 Posts
why is this worse than tuners running on a blank channel?
 

·
TiVoted TiVo User
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
Curtis said:
Because putting it in standby would shut down both tuners.
It does not shut down the receivers. Power is still going from the TiVo to the multiswitch. It is still getting a satellite signal and receiving guide data and writing the guide data to disk. The only thing standby does is to stop buffering live TV and shutdown the output enabling the analog bypass to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rminsk said:
It does not shut down the receivers. Power is still going from the TiVo to the multiswitch. It is still getting a satellite signal and receiving guide data and writing the guide data to disk. The only thing standby does is to stop buffering live TV and shutdown the output enabling the analog bypass to work.
Tuning to an unavailable channel on one tuner appears to cut disk thrashing in half. I don't want to shut down disk thrashing from both tuners.
 

·
TiVoted TiVo User
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
Curtis said:
Tuning to an unavailable channel on one tuner appears to cut disk thrashing in half. I don't want to shut down disk thrashing from both tuners.
Why not?
 

·
Lost in Big Bend
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Hard drives are so cheap and last long enough does it really matter?
 

·
resU deretsigeR
Joined
·
361 Posts
This is what I do. I set one tuner to 43 and the second to 44 and put the unit into stand by. You can hear the drive stop seeking and searching when you set the tuners to non-active channels. A large number of users also do this but they use channels 443 and 444 but on my unit these channels are sometime active.

mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rock_doctor said:
This is what I do. I set one tuner to 43 and the second to 44 and put the unit into stand by. You can hear the drive stop seeking and searching when you set the tuners to non-active channels. A large number of users also do this but they use channels 443 and 444 but on my unit these channels are sometime active.
That wouldn't let me watch live TV on one tuner and minimize disk usage which is what I am trying to do

Anyway, t would seem that just putting the box on standby would accomplish the same thing as what you are doing.
 

·
TiVoted TiVo User
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
rock_doctor said:
I set one tuner to 43 and the second to 44 and put the unit into stand by.
Why tune to channels you do not receive if you are putting the unit into stand-by mode? Stand-by will stop buffering live TV.
 

·
TiVoted TiVo User
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
Curtis said:
That wouldn't let me watch live TV on one tuner and minimize disk usage which is what I am trying to do
I'm sorry that I misunderstood what you were doing. I thought you were going to tune to two channels you don't receive instead of going to stand-by. If you are watching then tuning to one channel you do not receive will quite things down a bit.
 

·
TiVoted TiVo User
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
hyde76 said:
The XM music channels don't buffer either, do they?
I think they actually do but trick play is disabled. The music channels are much lower bandwidth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Standby doesn't do anything meaningful. The LEDs are turned off. And the output stages are turned off. The energy savings is not much more than a rounding error. It's still doing everything it normally does... receiving guide data, scheduling programs, watching for the remote, and recording video.

There are three ways to stop it from writing to disk... 1) Unplug it from the wall. This is the "maximum energy saving mode." 2) Tune to music stations. Audio only stations are not recorded. 3) Tune to unavailable channels -- either channels that do not exist or unauthorized channels. It obviously cannot record what it doesn't have.

I've never understood why Tivo, Inc. even made "standby". A) Tivos don't draw a huge amount of power to begin with. B) "Standby" doesn't shut off any of the power sucking bits. (like the mpeg encoder, mpeg decoder, hard drive, and/or cpu.) [Granted, DTivos don't have encoders.]
 

·
resU deretsigeR
Joined
·
361 Posts
I jump to channels I don't receive to stop buffering immediately, rather then 30 mins later or I can watch a channel live and have the other set to a dead channel. This way it is only buffering the live channel. It might be false economy but this is what i do...

mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
cramer said:
I've never understood why Tivo, Inc. even made "standby".
In the case of a Directv TiVo, standby allows the pass-through of a non-Directv analog signal through the rf input designed for that purpose. An antenna or cable feed, for example, sent through the unit, could be viewed although it is not buffered or recorded.
 

·
TiVoted TiVo User
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
cramer said:
There are three ways to stop it from writing to disk... 1) Unplug it from the wall. This is the "maximum energy saving mode." 2) Tune to music stations. Audio only stations are not recorded. 3) Tune to unavailable channels -- either channels that do not exist or unauthorized channels. It obviously cannot record what it doesn't have.

I've never understood why Tivo, Inc. even made "standby". A) Tivos don't draw a huge amount of power to begin with. B) "Standby" doesn't shut off any of the power sucking bits. (like the mpeg encoder, mpeg decoder, hard drive, and/or cpu.) [Granted, DTivos don't have encoders.]
As already discussed in standby mode the DirecTiVo does not buffer live TV so the only writing to the disk it does in standby is the guide data and other housekeeping chores. Besides not buffering live TV standby serves the purpose of allowing the analog pass through to work. In standby it does save close to 1 watt.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top