TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FOX OTA DTV signal in my area gives a choppy, no sound image. If "live tv" is supposed to be say 25 fps (a guess), then I get about 20 fps. It's been that way for a year. The FOX broadcast is picked up by Comcast and that is perfectly fine DTV signal, so I don't think it's the broadcaster.

All other OTA signals are fine. The choppiness exists with the cable plugged into the HR10-250, or directly to the DTV input of the tv.

I have a rotor on the OTA antenna. The choppiness exists with a good signal (> 92% on the HR10-250) or rotated to a less strong position.

·
TechKnow Guide
12,027 Posts
Where are you located?

It could very well be a multipath issue, but rotating your antenna should change things ... either for the worse or make it better. Is the 92 reading what you're getting for that specific Fox DTV channel? How does that reading vary as you rotate your antenna? Is it the same reading for both OTA tuners?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Panama City, FL.

Signal on both OTA tuners match and remain matched when rotating the antenna. Rotating the antenna varies the signal strength anywhere from 90% down to about 55% signal strength. The tv remains choppy and with no sound the entire range

And oh ya, I'm talking about it tuned to that channel, 28-1.

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
If you are getting a bad pic with a HDtivo steady signal of 92, something's really wrong there. But I dont know what. I get perfect pictures with as low as a steady 60 on the hdtivo.

Well if you are talking about wpgx, no wonder you can't get anything. Unless I'm reading this wrong, the digital fox is only getting 1.3 kw at 95 meters high for the tower. That's really low. Really!

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?stat...t2=&mlat2=&slat2=&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&size=9

for comparitive sakes here's my philly data and the worst DT station I get is 250 kw.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?stat...t2=&mlat2=&slat2=&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&size=9

just a shot in the dark here, but is your antenna VHF capable since fox is channel 9?

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
Newsposter has found the clues. I would try an amp.

·
Registered
674 Posts
piggyback please: the above listed site from the fcc, the status shows a few things for instance

lic
sta
cp
what do these mean?
the only station in my area that is HD has lic for status,
the other station that says they are HD has the cp and sta no lic, what gives?

·
Nowhere Man...
4,506 Posts
darthrsg said:
piggyback please: the above listed site from the fcc, the status shows a few things for instance

lic
sta
cp
what do these mean?
the only station in my area that is HD has lic for status,
the other station that says they are HD has the cp and sta no lic, what gives?
Lic = License - Generally this means the station has fully built out its facilites.

STA = Special Temporary Authority - Generally this is a temporary permit that allows the broadcaster to operate outside the scope of a license, or for testing, for a short period of time.

CP = Construction Permit - This is the step prior to licensing. It gives the station permission to build its facilites, and test them for a short period of time, per what they applied for (i.e. frequency, power, location, etc).

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
CP is construction permit, lic is license, sta is station.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts