TiVo Community Forum banner

File a "Petition for Rulemaking" with the FCC?

• Yes this is a good idea.

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • No this is a waste of time.

Votes: 13 38.2%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
The issue JT, isn't anything to do with cablecard or the front end system/video processor, it has to do with the back end tuner, which is fundamentally different at a hardware level for satellite (it uses a higher frequency, and widely different modulation scheme), as for some form of "all media" STB to exist, it will have to have a separate satellite tuner (in a tin box with RF components and chips in it), as well as what is needed for cable and OTA.
I suppose down the road, they could make some sort of all mode front end decoder chip (makes a bitstream the CC/video decoder can use), with separate front ends for cable/ATSC and satellite.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
Justin Thyme said:
Are you sure about that? My understanding very large integrations have put all that junk on single chip or chip pairs. The BCM4501 chip for example provides dual tuners for all the connectivity you need to DirecTv, DVB-S and DVB-S2 systems. It costs $25. Source1 general info Source2 chip tech info

Similarly, even high end Cableco connectivity (tuners, QAM and DOCSIS 2.0/3.0 all ) is provided with the bcm3255 paired with bcm3420's.
That is excatly what I mean. to make an all provider box you'd need two each of those chipsets, as well as two each of the truner RF portions (for a dual tuner DVR or dual head receiver, 1 set each for a straight STB)

If you mean you want a universal satelite only receiver, that is just as easily doable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.