TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a number of Macs at home.... and a Series3... and now 2 iPhones. Is there ANY way to move programs recorded on the Series3 to my Macs or iPhones? If not via Mac, PC? (can bootcamp into Vista if I have to). To me, this has to be the one big complaint about the S3... otherwise, I love it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, 2 iphones. There was no WAY I could walk in the door with just one for me... my better half would have flipped. :)

·
Substantive Member
11,993 Posts
I'd like to know this too. I'm getting quite impatient about the rumoured arrival of TiVo to Go features.

·
No intent to annoy
1,565 Posts
Amnesia said:
Well, you could "record to DVD" and burn a DVD. Then rip the DVD on your computer.
For such a small screen, this is NOT a terrible solution.

Some would say EVEN WORSE because the end product is so tiny that the degradation is compounded, but to my eyes, very good and well-trained, I see very little difference. More an issue is going to be what happens between the DVD and the iPod, or whatever.

·
Banned
5,065 Posts
Couldn't one of those slingbox things put the tivo on the net and then the ipod go there? I sure don't know but you could ask around, from what I read anything that gets the web can use a slingbox.

·
Substantive Member
11,993 Posts
visionary said:
Couldn't one of those slingbox things put the tivo on the net and then the ipod go there? I sure don't know but you could ask around, from what I read anything that gets the web can use a slingbox.
Slingboxes use their own protocol and compression. In other words, not everything that gets the web can use a Slingbox, you have to have a specific Slingbox client for your device. There isn't one for the iPhone.

·
Substantive Member
11,993 Posts
I was hoping for something simple like the TiVo to Go. From what I understand, you can get the client to automatically download and encode specific video, so you can have a fresh supply of content every day. I think it'd be nice to take a few programs with me to the gym.

The ideas to import the video would probably give acceptable quality on the small screen, but are a little complicated to do on a regular basis.

·
Banned
5,065 Posts
Thanks for that info, had no idea slingbox used a program at this end too. Hey, write and email slingbox about the iphone, right now while it is a hot item in the news. You might just get them to make an application for the iphone! It would help them sell units, so try that.

·
Substantive Member
11,993 Posts
The problem with that is, I doubt Apple would let them. iPhone "Applications" are currently just web pages, there's no way to get a custom binary on the phone. Unless they put a webserver in the Slingbox you couldn't get it to work. Then you'd have to work with the codecs the iPhone supports, because you can't install your own. Slingbox have rolled their own codec, so they're not using anything standard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts