TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

· Registered
574 Posts
But back to the thread topic, I'll requote what I found before the side discussion into AppleTV remote hate and love.

"
here's a 2 yr old post (linked) on Reddit with someone saying Comcast no longer supports cablecard. He eventually found out they (supposedly) don't support cablecard on certain plans.

other people called and agent told them they only support (comcast) boxes. Others called and got the opposite from the agent. another post said the website had no option for no equipment.
etc.

Like I said par for the course for the past 10 years-ish.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tivo/comments/8w1vjx "
Either try the loyalty department or just elevate to a supervisor. Keep trying.

· Registered
25 Posts
Nothing ever came of it. There was a push, dubbed "Unlock the Box," at the FCC a few years ago to come up with a software-based successor to CableCARD but that failed. The FCC decided that it would be sufficient for cable TV providers to offer up streaming apps to access their services on retail devices (e.g. Roku), as Comcast, Charter and others have already done rather than come up with a new industry-wide technical standard.

Separate to that, there was an announcement some years back that Comcast and TiVo were jointly working on a software-based solution specific to their two companies. But then nothing more developed (perhaps in part because TiVo sued Comcast over patent infringements in their X1 system).

At this point, TiVo understands that the only path forward for it to live on as a system used in conjunction with cable TV is not via retail devices purchased by the consumer but rather as software built into the boxes issued by the TV providers themselves.
What do you mean for this part:

At this point, TiVo understands that the only path forward for it to live on as a system used in conjunction with cable TV is not via retail devices purchased by the consumer but rather as software built into the boxes issued by the TV providers themselves.

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts

Many of us expect Tivo to exit the consumer market and continue on only making DVRs provided by CableCos

· Registered
4,725 Posts

There are a number of smaller pay TV operators scattered across the US that license software, data and services from TiVo to power the boxes they hand out to their own pay TV customers, and also to power the backend video servers they use to run their pay TV service.

For instance, there's a fiber/DSL internet provider that serves an area not too far from me called TDS Telecom. They have a managed IPTV pay TV service they brand as TDS TV+. The have a deal in place with TiVo to power that service. If you subscribe to that service, you must take at least one of their boxes, which runs a TiVo operating system and comes with a TiVo-designed peanut remote.

I'm not sure, you might be able to access TDS TV+ through apps for devices like Apple TV and Fire TV too. But you definitely can't use it with a retail TiVo DVR with CableCARD.

A few years from now, after CableCARD is completely dead, the only folks who will be using a "TiVo" with their pay TV service will be those who get a TiVo-powered box directly from their pay TV provider, like TDS.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
The OP might try to go to their local Comcast store (assuming they have one)...my local store has very knowledgeable reps & not only knew about CC's, but also knew in our market, CC's are now free. Last month when I redid my 2-year contract & added an X1 DVR & it would not activate, the assistant manager knew exactly what the issue was; it was due to the previous rep not arranging all my equipment in the correct hierarchy (X1 DVR, legacy DVR, CC & DTA all mixed on my 1 account) but he resolved it right in the store & by the time I got home, everything was activated & working correctly.

So I plan on continuing to use my CC Tivo as long as I possibly can, but now also have an X1 DVR, for all the new IP-only channels; the X1 box was only $5/month & my (Xfinity) DVR service fee is free for the next 2 years.
I thought all this cc business was blamed on a certain president's new fcc chairman. If he was the cause whybcant we redress our grievances? New president, new fcc guy. Somebody has to make the effort. I would write the emails but is it a waste of effort? Is phasing out cc truly the right step? I personally believe as long as our boxes are around , cablecard should be supported.

· U.S. Army (ret.)
1,844 Posts
I would write the emails but is it a waste of effort? Is phasing out cc truly the right step?
I admire the thought, but time marches on and the technology in the video distribution industry has changed. Even if some retrograde FCC ruling could be brought about, the effect would be minimal with the MSOs mostly moving to all-IPTV delivery. I think it would be more likely for TiVo to adapt to IPTV (which is highly improbable IMHO) than for CableCARD to maintain industry-wide support.

· Registered
414 Posts
I thought all this cc business was blamed on a certain president's new fcc chairman.
The CableCARD death sentence occurred under the Obama administration's FCC. The next presidents FCC signed the warrant for the execution. Some operators have not yet thrown the switch, but it is now scheduling, not if, for all the majors.
I would write the emails but is it a waste of effort? Is phasing out cc truly the right step?
Yes, as everyone for something like a decade has agreed its time has gone (it has been too limiting for too long and the follow on replacement attempts failed to achieve support). But, one is always free to tilt at windmills.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts