TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
I actually like the TS4k's little peanut remote as it plays well with my tv/amp setup, works well with Channels DVR and has usb-c that does the trick for my Sammy usb-c to A adapter and thumb drive.

If there was an android TV device that was that complete and had that much upside outside of the Shield, please point me in that direction.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I do love their remote and it's one of the reasons I am hanging on to my TiVo.

· Super Moderator
55,677 Posts
ATV remote is easily the best streaming remote. I use it everyday. And have for years now. It's just the perfection of minimalism meets the perfect amt of functionality and ergonomics.
I'm an Apple fan and IMHO it's terrible! You have to treat it like you're disarming a bomb every time you pick it up otherwise you'll accidentally swipe and screw up you position in the show. I really like the Apple TV but the remote is the worst piece of Apple tech I've ever owned.

· Super Moderator
55,677 Posts
Actually it looks like you are in the loud minority. Go on Amazon and the remote scores 4.2 average stars in the reviews of the appletv 4k.

The listing for the remote itself has a 4.7 rating and 2800 reviews.
Who's going to leave a review for the remote when they buy an Apple TV? There is no way you can extrapolate the Amazon reviews for the replacement remote as a general feeling about the remote itself. The only people who'd buy a replacement are those that actually like the remote.

· imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox
4,573 Posts
You shouldn't need a case to protect a glass remote. A remote should not be perfectly symmetrical where it's easy to use it upside down. A remote should be ergonomic to fit in your hand so your fingertips naturally fall on the buttons you use most. Sorry. When it's plain to see form clearly trumped function

And we all know a majority of Apple owners are lemmings. They love anything Apple and just say take my money anytime something new comes out. You point to Amazon's listing for the remote. The remote isn't something people are buying on their own just to have a remote. They are buying it to replace their lost/broken remote. It's a needed item for their ATV. Big difference than buying an item on its own outright and reviewing it on its own merits.

And of course the most popular reviews are the ones calling it trash. A popular 5 star review...works perfectly and synced flawlessly. Not really a stellar review of the remote. Just that it does what a replacement OEM remote should do. Another says it's great because they can't work their atv without it. Another glowing review:
"Easily read by Apple TV and ready to use with no problems." Well duh. It's the OEM remote. But nothing about the actual design and overall functionality. Even the good reviews mention something negative about the design.

5*... Bought to replace a shattered remote. Bought a case for this one. In what world is it normal to buy a case for a remote? And 5*'s for a remote that got shattered and forced them to buy a new one? Yeah. That makes sense. Apple's favorite customer.

All the less than 5* reviews talk about it's poor design, glass breaks, it's slippery and needs a case, lack of buttons, overly sensitive TouchPad and so forth.

Heck, the big complaints about it being to symmetrical and using it upside down wasn't addressed by making a more ergonomic design. They just put a ring around the one button so you had to feel to make sure you are holding it right.

And yet the remote feature has 4.2 stars overall on Amazon despite the complaints. And the remote listing has 4.7 stars overall.

You would think people forced to buy a new remote for $50 to replace a broken or lost one wouldn't be so kind and yet, again, it has 4.7 stars after 2800 reviews.

WE also know people tend to show up when they have a complaint and not so much when they don't.

And sorry but the remote is quite ergonomic. The thumb naturally can reach every button without shifting your grip. IT's actually close to or is best in class in this regard. The buttons are rather large as well. AS big or bigger than pretty much every Tivo button. Certainly bigger than other streaming remotes. Never heard of a remote where the "fingertips" fall on the buttons you use most. Maybe you lopped off your thumb in wood shop class. I've had my ATV remotes for years and never broke them. Meanwhile the back cover of my Tivo remote busted off 4 years ago and I had a piece of tape on it up until I sold it at the beginning of this year. You learn to pick up the remote correctly. The volume button is on the lower right and the only oblong button. The Menu button has a raised white circle on it and is on the upper left. You can feel that difference. I've picked up my Tivo remote incorrectly quite a few times even after mostly picking it correctly for years. IT's fairly symmetrical itself. NEvermind all the streaming remotes are pretty symmetrical.

Oh and my tv remote still has a piece of tape on the back cover as well. I've bought 3rd party remotes and had one come apart after a drop. And if you really can't pick up the ATV remote correctly after getting used to it then put a piece of tape on the bottom or something.

4,573 Posts
Who's going to leave a review for the remote when they buy an Apple TV? There is no way you can extrapolate the Amazon reviews for the replacement remote as a general feeling about the remote itself. The only people who'd buy a replacement are those that actually like the remote.
People that need a new remote probably lost or broke it. Those are complaints about the remote. And yet the replacement has 4.7 stars. And as many have said, they need the remote for Siri even if they hate it so I assume many buying a replacement are also haters. Also you gotta remember I'm being told that I'm in the tiny minority. IF this was so then I don't think you would see nearly as high of scores on Amazon as you do. I don't have to extrapolate it. I just have to show that it is not the case that I'm in the tiny minority. :) I think showing the high review scores show that not nearly as many people hate it as some here like to think.

Also remember people who have a complaint are more likely to post something than those who don't.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,856 Posts

· Registered
1,152 Posts
And yet the remote feature has 4.2 stars overall on Amazon despite the complaints. And the remote listing has 4.7 stars overall.

You would think people forced to buy a new remote for $50 to replace a broken or lost one wouldn't be so kind and yet, again, it has 4.7 stars after 2800 reviews.

WE also know people tend to show up when they have a complaint and not so much when they don't.

And sorry but the remote is quite ergonomic. The thumb naturally can reach every button without shifting your grip. IT's actually close to or is best in class in this regard. The buttons are rather large as well. AS big or bigger than pretty much every Tivo button. Certainly bigger than other streaming remotes. Never heard of a remote where the "fingertips" fall on the buttons you use most. Maybe you lopped off your thumb in wood shop class. I've had my ATV remotes for years and never broke them. Meanwhile the back cover of my Tivo remote busted off 4 years ago and I had a piece of tape on it up until I sold it at the beginning of this year. You learn to pick up the remote correctly. The volume button is on the lower right and the only oblong button. The Menu button has a raised white circle on it and is on the upper left. You can feel that difference. I've picked up my Tivo remote incorrectly quite a few times even after mostly picking it correctly for years. IT's fairly symmetrical itself. NEvermind all the streaming remotes are pretty symmetrical.

Oh and my tv remote still has a piece of tape on the back cover as well. I've bought 3rd party remotes and had one come apart after a drop. And if you really can't pick up the ATV remote correctly after getting used to it then put a piece of tape on the bottom or something.
1. Many Apple owners are lemmings. And you seem to prove the point when other owners say you're wrong yet they are still the vocal minority... Kinda funny when multiple people disagree, but you're the one in the right. How's that working out for ya?

And you obviously didn't even read the positive reviews. Even positive ones talk about it being fragile, dumb to be made of glass and not happy having to buy a silicone skin for it. Or the touch part is overly sensitive and they overshoot their mark and so on. It's more so they are reviewing their apple tv experience or apple experience in general and not the remote.

2. Last time I checked, the thumb is a finger.

3. It's funny when so much time passes that you forget why you blocked someone. Now I remember. Bye Felecia. No more spoilers for me. Everyone else seems to be doing a good enough job for me.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
That's my biggest with issue with streaming in general. There are so many different apps and they are all inconsistent with each other, and even on different devices that it gets very annoying switching between them. I wish there was just a standard stream player you could install that could handle streams from all the different providers. That's why for a while I was trying to do as much as possible via Amazon including Amazon Channels to get a consistent playback interface, but now there are many services/shows you can't get via Amazon so that's out the window.
I agree . When you learn how to FF on say Netflix those same button presses will bring up "next episode" or something bizarre. The thing is they all are similar so its easy to never get it straight. CBS all access has me screaming out loud when I try to fast forward.

4,573 Posts
1. Many Apple owners are lemmings. And you seem to prove the point when other owners say you're wrong yet they are still the vocal minority... Kinda funny when multiple people disagree, but you're the one in the right. How's that working out for ya?

And you obviously didn't even read the positive reviews. Even positive ones talk about it being fragile, dumb to be made of glass and not happy having to buy a silicone skin for it. Or the touch part is overly sensitive and they overshoot their mark and so on. It's more so they are reviewing their apple tv experience or apple experience in general and not the remote.

2. Last time I checked, the thumb is a finger.

3. It's funny when so much time passes that you forget why you blocked someone. Now I remember. Bye Felecia. No more spoilers for me. Everyone else seems to be doing a good enough job for me.
lmao. look in the mirror. Just because you keep saying something doesn't make it so. The amazon review scores dispute the notion that only a tiny minority like the remote.

And you said "fingertips." Sorry you can't take a joke.

I don't block you because I always need a good laugh.

4,573 Posts
But the only people who'd buy a replacement are those that liked the remote in the first place. Everyone else would look for an alternative.
people need it for Siri so I don't agree that only the people who liked the remote buy it again.

Also it just shows a lot of people like the remote in and itself.

· Super Moderator
55,677 Posts
people need it for Siri so I don't agree that only the people who liked the remote buy it again.

Also it just shows a lot of people like the remote in and itself.
It may show that "a lot of people" like the remote, it does not show that the majority of people like the remote though as you implied in the post I quoted. You're extrapolating data that doesn't exist based on your own bias.

4,573 Posts
It may show that "a lot of people" like the remote, it does not show that the majority of people like the remote though as you implied in the post I quoted. You're extrapolating data that doesn't exist based on your own bias.
It's a 2 part piece of evidence. I also showed that the remote feature score on the ATV reviews is 4.2. and I'm just showing there is evidence that it isn't a tiny minority. And that it certainly looks (like) it could be a majority. Obviously if I could press a button and show 100% without scientific doubt that this is the case I would. But I can't.

But you can't do the same thing the other way around either. And you can only extrapolate anything you see as well. PLus you're biased yourself. I've probably read that you hate the apple remote on these forums at least 20 times this year alone. I'm not sure I'm exaggerating either. ;)

4,573 Posts
But back to the thread topic, I'll requote what I found before the side discussion into AppleTV remote hate and love.

"
here's a 2 yr old post (linked) on Reddit with someone saying Comcast no longer supports cablecard. He eventually found out they (supposedly) don't support cablecard on certain plans.

other people called and agent told them they only support (comcast) boxes. Others called and got the opposite from the agent. another post said the website had no option for no equipment.
etc.

Like I said par for the course for the past 10 years-ish.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tivo/comments/8w1vjx "

61 - 80 of 90 Posts