TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
No intent to annoy
1,565 Posts
HiDefGator said:
Maybe so. But the movies in HD on HBO do not have the clarity that the shows on the discover channel do. If I can't see the pores in the skin on the actor's nose then it doesn't meet my definition of HD.
That's certainly what I watch movies for.

·
No intent to annoy
1,565 Posts
flmgrip said:
a show filmed in the 30's will have a lower quality than a show filmed now
In the context of this thread I have no quarrel with that.

However, it's much like saying that music of the 1930s is of lower quality than music today.

In both cases there is a difference, and living today and being immersed in today's conventions, we tend to prefer today's conventions. Personally, I don't think there's ever been a better film "look" than the late 1930s/early 1940s b&w film "sheen." Occasional attempts made to recreate that look with modern film stocks or video fail.

And, probably not coincidentally, I like the sound of vinyl and find much digitally-recorded music to be harsh. I don't find either vinyl or digital to be anything like the experiece of live music.

HiDef is new, it's today. Where there is no artistic content in the material (e.g. TV), the look is clearly superior. But I, for one, dread the day when movies are shot with HD cameras, much like other hanger-ons to the past once were uncomfortable with the transition to sound movies, or to 3-D (oops) or color.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.