TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
The PVR and STB are priced well. What is a rip is the HD Pak. Some of the channels in this package go 4 days running with no HD programs (ESPNHD2).

My antenna cost me a whopping $1.79. I'm a lot happier with that than the grand I just sunk into satellite radio, which I still can't receive consistently and makes the compression used by DTV look generous.

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
I didn't blame them for the content of ESPNHD2, and if you'd care to actually read and comprehend my post, you should be able to understand that. I blamed them for adding a useless channel devoid of much HD content to the HD Pak, which they had EVERYTHING to do with. TNT-HD would have been a much better choice.

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
HiDefGator said:
...Starz might be nice but movies aren't filmed with HD cameras yet so watching one in HD is only slightly better than watching it in SD...
Huh?

Even a 16mm film camera is an HD camera by definition. Every movie and TV show shot on film can be telecine'd to HD video. The HD Pak includes "Charlie's Angels" and "Hogan's Heroes", both in true HD, and both produced when the ATSC format was decades away from being even a gleam in anyone's eyes. I just saw "The Wizard of Oz" in true HD, and that was filmed in what, 1939?

That means just one thing...when DT becomes the norm rather than the exception, all of these old TV shows and movies will be transferred using HD telecine and we will be watching virtually everything ever shot on film as HD. Maybe I'll even think about getting the HD Pak again at that point.

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
kbohip said:
...Half the time I look on the guide the shows on those channels aren't even in HD anyway. I'll be cancelling it as soon as my 50% off deal runs out on it. This will free up that money for Sirius. :)
Half the time? More like 85% of the time on ESPN2HD. I'm not paying 11 bucks for 6 hours a day of fat morons playing poker. In SD.

But if you are disappointed that the resolution is not high on the HD Pak, you will be crying your eyes out once you go to Sirius. I've got a string and two Dixie cups that have better audio. Maybe instead of that little dog, they should use that as their logo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.