TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
mikeinla said:
I would be willing to bet the opposite: that most DirecTV Tivo users find that 2 buffers one of the most important features. I also find the thumbs up/down feature handy...it tends to find old movies I like based upon those ratings.
Not from what I usually read here. Anytime "live" tv is brought up, almost everyone chimes in to "just record it" and "why would you want to watch live tv"...
even the majority of the people on these forums don't seem to use the dual "live" buffers that much and I'm sure it's used even less by the majority of those out there that have never even heard of this forum..

truthfully, I'm more upset that I'll probably lose my 30second skip than dual tuner buffers. Now that's something I use ALL of the time..

As for thumbs up/down.. I gave up on suggestions after about 3months of having them on and using those buttons constantly.. the suggestions were mostly whacked. Any that were good were usually those that I already had season passes for..

Whether you find them useful, if the R15 lacks them, it's a lesser product. Explain the logic of dropping a better product in favor of a lesser product.
that's easy.. if you're talking about directv, it's production costs. If you're talking about us, I'm not saying drop anything. I'll have my R10 and my R15.. and as Directv stops adding features to the Tivo products and slowly makes their NDS products better, I'll be able to receive those new features that will never make it to the old boxes..

I'm not saying everyone has to love the box. I'm not even saying I'll love the box. What I'm saying is give it a chance. There's absolutely no reason to go off half-cocked on a unit that hasn't even been released and not a one of us has used or seen a review on.. I'm not taking much of a chance by getting a free unit, so I'm willing to be a guinea pig, as are many others since valueelectronics has filled all their preorders AND a waiting list..

· Beware of Conky!
1,009 Posts
Hodaka said:
... people on these forums don't seem to use the dual "live" buffers that much and I'm sure it's used even less by the majority of those out there that have never even heard of this forum.....
Best reason for dual buffers?
FOOTBALL!! :D

two buffers?? Baaah! I bet they taste sour anyway.....
;)

· Registered
66 Posts
jmoak said:
Best reason for dual buffers?
FOOTBALL!! :D

two buffers?? Baaah! I bet they taste sour anyway.....
;)
heh, yeah.. not my thing.. but I agree that some people use it this way. I wonder if you'll be able to get the same functionality by recording one and playing one live.. 1 buffer for the live feed and 1 show recording.. of course it would then depend on how easy it would be to switch back and forth..

I rarely watch anything live anymore since I discovered tivo, so it makes no diff to me..

the R15 does have one potential buffer advantage for me. Several times I've turned on the TV and saw something on the channel that was active and wished I'd taped it. I can catch around 30+ minutes if I record, but sometimes miss parts of shows. With the larger buffer, if I see something when I turn on the TV, there's a much better chance that I'll hit record and get it all..

· Registered
1 Posts
I actually use the buffers often to flip. I watch 2 shows at the same time and have no comercials to watch... I know it's silly, :D when I could just record. I guess it's an old habit left over from the old days, of only having a flash back button and watching a new show and rerun to avoid commercials.... doing it with no commercials is bonus I like.... And as mentioned I like knowing if turn on the set I can catch the minutes I missed.

Then there's the fact, that I still haven't upgraded the puny 35hr HD yet :( ...so recording all is not yet an option for us. To many other things left on my Honey do yet... :D

Some mentioned why dual out puts? so I can PIP with one box? I've considered a second tivo on the 35" so I could do this and have 4 tuners... I know silly,but I'm a GREEDY LIL DUCK!...

· Registered
55 Posts
I am a regular user of the dual buffers. Would it be a factor in not using the R15? Probably not. I will admit that it would probably be installed in our playroom with the second tv. It would not be my primary unit.

Then again, If I didn't have a DTivo, I probably wouldn't care as I had nothing to compare it to other than a non-activated Dishplayer.

· A is A
42 Posts
FYI - I sent D* an email complaining about the move away from Tivo and got this response:

Thanks for writing. I can assure you that DIRECTV has a strong relationship with TiVo and we have not ended our relationship with them. DIRECTV held a small equity stake in TiVo which we sold in 2004, but this transaction will have no impact on customers who have (or are thinking about getting) our DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service.

While DIRECTV plans to introduce a new version of the DVR, we will continue to support the DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service. Please visit our web site at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headlines.dsp to learn more about the upcoming new DIRECTV DVR.

· has gone his way...
4,421 Posts

· Go Faster!!!
2 Posts
ebonovic said:
For the 2nd time today: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=253893

THIS ARTICLE IS ABOUT DIRECTV STOPING THE MARKETING OF TiVo BASED DVRS

This is not a statement that our TiVos will stop being sold, stop working, stop being supported, stop anything.

It is just an announcement regarding the MARKETING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I posted the above for the second time today.

I agree the story didn't say anything about "TiVos will stop being sold, stop working, stop being supported" but not "stop anything" as they will not be marketed by DTV. I do consider that as being "dumped" by DTV. And their statement "DirecTV said it was part of a wider plan to replace TiVo's technology" indicates that they intend to try to, at the very least, compete with TiVo. IMO the term "replace" is stronger than to just compete. I'm a TiVo believer and agree with most that have used other PVRs that it's hard to compete with the TiVO features. I certainly hope TiVo will prevail in the long term.

· has gone his way...
4,421 Posts
jordanz said:
This is the end of Tivo. I know DirecTV has been working on a media center appliance. Any word on that?
This is NOT THE FRACKING END OF TIVO!!!!!!!!!
TiVo is going to work, it is going to still be sold, it is still going to be supported, at a minimum to 2007 (based on the current status of the contract).

Okay... now to your second question.

Home Media Center is still in the works, we have not gotten any additional information regarding that unit, since the Ucentric / Motorola merger... And before that was CES.... So there is nothing new to report on the HMC.

· A is A
42 Posts
TiVo is going to work, it is going to still be sold, it is still going to be supported
I think you are missing the point. No one is saying that this isn't true. What appears to be true, though, is that Tivo is at an end-of-life stage with DirecTV. This implies that there will be no new development on the product. Of course it will continue to work. But, it will also quickly fall behind other similar products (including those directly from Tivo - which is already the case).

This is NOT THE FRACKING END OF TIVO!!!!!!!!!
The vast majority of Tivo's business comes from DirecTV. I hope this doesn't signal their demise, but if they don't do something quick, they're in deep doo-doo.

· has gone his way...
4,421 Posts
I DO Understand that point regarding that TiVo product on DirecTV is at the end of it's lifecycle... Some will say (and I am one of them) it has been there since networking was introduced with v4. (Until they threw us a bone with the grouping features of v6.2)

But... that is a BIG difference between DROPING the TiVo Service (aka it stops working), and no longer "enhancing" the service.

As for your 2nd point.
If TiVo (the company) wasn't prepared for this day, then they can't see big writing on the wall... but this nice new contract that have with Comcast, goes a long way in helping offset the changes with DirecTV. So long as it get's done....

· Registered
13 Posts
ebonovic said:
TiVo is going to work, it is going to still be sold, it is still going to be supported, at a minimum to 2007 (based on the current status of the contract).
What scares me is this:
"If you don't have a (digital video recorder) from us, you won't be getting the DirecTV experience," Carey said. "TiVo will only be available to the people who would ask."
which came from a Reuters article

Thoughts on that?

Caleb

· QUASI-OMNISCIENT
856 Posts
Quote "What scares me is this:

Quote:
"If you don't have a (digital video recorder) from us, you won't be getting the DirecTV experience," Carey said. "TiVo will only be available to the people who would ask."

Thoughts on that?

Caleb"

That's just marketing lingo, not worthy of having thoughts on.

· Registered
91 Posts
HiDefGator said:
But the SA Tivo can't do HD. And worse it costs $12.95 a month per box. I know I'm cheap but there is no way I'm paying $12.95 a month per box for DVR functionality after I have to pay for the box itself too. Especially if DTV will subsidize the cost of a similar box and offer a fee that covers all of them.

I'm not sure what the average cable\dtv monthly bill is but adding $12.95 per month per box is going to prohibitive for most people.
Not true.
It's only 12.95/mo. for the first box. 6.95/mo. for each additional box.
Also, as far as HD. Yes, a SA TIVO can't show in HD, but I've found recording HD channels in Best Quality gives better quality than recording SD channels in Best Quality.
Not HD but I'm not complaining right now.

· has gone his way...
4,421 Posts
PittCaleb said:
What scares me is this:

Thoughts on that?

Caleb
Sure...

I have a bunch of thoughts... but they are not all "coherient" (sp?)

Anyway...

DirecTV is going to be pushing their Interactive stuff.
It won't be available in any of the TiVo powered DVRs, but it will in the NDS.
It ALSO won't be available in the 20,000,000+ non-DVR IRDs that DirecTV still supports.

So yes... I won't have the DirecTV "experience" to it's fullest, but neather will 90+% of DirecTV's subscriber base unless they upgrade their equipment.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.