TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Auteur
54,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck at my mom's house this weekend (no TiVo!) and caught this show tonight. Every quesion was really easy. I mean, some were middling - I can see how people got tripped up. But by and large, they were bizarrely easy questions. An overly expressive contestant tonight got down to vs. 12 and Sagat said "no one's ever gotten this far." Seriously? With it being so easy, how has no one won this show yet?

·
Seems Very Friendly
13,292 Posts
I kinda like it. Normally the questions get much more difficult and sometimes they are designed to make it easy to make a mistake. I think the dramatic pauses and the host have to go though.

·
Registered
26,307 Posts
I think it's entertaining -- but like a lot of game shows (except Jeopardy), I watch it on my non-Tivo recorder where I can watch it at 1.5x with sound -- and still FF through a lot of the blather.

·
TCF Bookie
9,629 Posts
I like the show.
Usually the questions are very easy, but as you get further in they'll provide answers that aren't necessarily the obvious choices that you were expecting.

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
they are so confusing..especially with such complicated questions like

if 50 cent wrote a song to sing at the concert for his 12 year old daughter, how many quarters would he need to make up how much his name is worth?

but i guess on TV, such a simple question can befuddle people

·
With an "L"
4,268 Posts
IndyJones1023 said:
Seriously? With it being so easy, how has no one won this show yet?
If you assume at least one of the Mob members is at least as knowledgable about the questions as you are, then you know there's no way you'll win the million. In reality, some in the mob are likely much smarter than the One, since Ones are mostly chosen for making good TV and the non-grouped Mobsters are often rejected One applicants - two of my online friends have made the Mob this way.

Taking the million out of the equation, there's a certain point where risking winnings of $200,000 on a chance to add $30-$50K isn't worth it, especially as they will occasionally throw in a rather arcane pop culture question.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,641 Posts
Is 1 vs. 100 a stupid show?
I'm simply shocked you have to even ask. Unless you mean that rhetorically. :)

I'd suggest you go out and buy a TiVo for your mom; it'll occupy your time and even just watching the 6 how-to- videos that come with it (or the startup animation) is far less mind-numbing that things like 1 vs 100.

·
cowboy, yee-ha
7,445 Posts
Why is "deal or no deal" so popular. You don't even have to know you're own name to win on that show.

At least on 1 vs 100 you need a functioning brain to get a few bucks.

·
Now with more GB
3,527 Posts
IndyJones1023 said:
I'm stuck at my mom's house this weekend (no TiVo!) and caught this show tonight. Every question was really easy. I mean, some were middling - I can see how people got tripped up. But by and large, they were bizarrely easy questions. An overly expressive contestant tonight got down to vs. 12 and Sagat said "no one's ever gotten this far." Seriously? With it being so easy, how has no one won this show yet?
Because the contestant has to answer a question correctly that everybody remaining in the mob gets wrong. Also, pretty much every contestant has a point at which they're not willing to risk it to go for the million. (If you had $200,000 and there were seven or eight mob members left, would you take the chance to go for the million?)

-- Don

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
I really like the show. It's entertaining except for the stupid pauses. The questions generally aren't that difficult, but they usually require two steps of applications, which is cool. I don't mind Saget. I've found him to be a pretty good host so far.

·
Nice to see you
12,090 Posts
It's got a reasonably good concept, but I quit watching after a few weeks because it takes so long to get through the questions -- I have similar problems with all the other big-money prime-time game shows of the present day. I'd rather have more questions in a shorter time for less money, so give me "Jeopardy!" any day.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
DevdogAZ said:
I really like the show. It's entertaining except for the stupid pauses. The questions generally aren't that difficult, but they usually require two steps of applications, which is cool. I don't mind Saget. I've found him to be a pretty good host so far.
I agree.

I watched Friday's show. I used a digital video recorder and was able to watch it in about 20 minutes. Much more enjoyab le that way.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The ONLY way to watch this show is with Tivo or DVR! The inane banter and pauses before they reveal the correct answer gets longer and longer as the money grows.

I have to wonder where they get some of the contestants. We watched it one night and the question was something like this, "How many six packs would you need to have 99 [bottles] of beer"?

The contestant actually said...

Wait for it...

"That's a hard one. I don't drink beer." Then preceded to use a help.

LMAO!!!

·
TCF Bookie
9,629 Posts
cpalma said:
The ONLY way to watch this show is with Tivo or DVR! The inane banter and pauses before they reveal the correct answer gets longer and longer as the money grows.

I have to wonder where they get some of the contestants. We watched it one night and the question was something like this, "How many six packs would you need to have 99 [bottles] of beer"?

The contestant actually said...

Wait for it...

"That's a hard one. I don't drink beer." Then preceded to use a help.

LMAO!!!
Yeah, that contestant was an idiot. I'm not sure if that was the "stupid blond lady" or not, but the "stupid blond lady" was the worst.

I will add that I don't think that any trivia show is less "stupid" in its layout than the next.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,641 Posts
MasterOfPuppets said:
Yeah, that contestant was an idiot. I'm not sure if that was the "stupid blond lady" or not, but the "stupid blond lady" was the worst.

I will add that I don't think that any trivia show is less "stupid" in its layout than the next.
"You Bet Your Life" with Groucho Marx holds up very well to any of these over-scripted disasters on television today.

·
Fat, Dumb and Happy
4,354 Posts
The later episodes of the show fixed the timing. Heck, in the first couple of episodes, they would ask if they want to take the money or the mob, after the first question. Now they have to get 3 questions right first.

I enjoy the show, just need some new episodes. Rerunning the first few can turn you off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.