TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,583 Posts
BlankMan said:
This part is real interesting to me because I never heard this slant on the issue before. Regarding dropping TiVo, he said the reason they dropped TiVo was because TiVo wanted to double what they were charging DTV for the service and of course DTV would then have to pass that on to its customers. He said TiVo was losing money and needed revenue and wanted to double the rates to get revenue. I pointed out that even doubled that charge would only be 2/3 what TiVo charges its non-DTV subscribers and I would gladly pay $9.99 a month to keep TiVo. He then went on to mention that DTV could not see charging more for TiVo's DVR when DTV had just as good of DVR on their own. That got a good chuckle.
Why this isn't true:

DirecTV ends up paying TiVo about $1 per subscriber. Doubling what DirecTV pays TiVo (without reducing what DirecTV earns) would mean needing to collect another $1 from everybody. So DirecTV would have to raise the DVR fee from $4.99 to $5.99 to cover this. DirecTV ALREADY raised the DVR fee to $5.99. So it's not a reluctance to charge more in order to pay more to TiVo.

Now maybe TiVo wanted DirecTV to double the charge each customer is paying and to pay them that extra amount, adding another $5 to the charge and to what TiVo gets from DirecTV. I can't see why that wouldn't be a viable option -- in addition to DirecTV's own DVR. A shame that it's just not possible to have choices anymore.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,583 Posts
Arcady said:
I don't need to own a Yugo to know it is a pile of crap.
For a $4,000 car it's really not a pile of crap; it's basically in its own category of very inexpensive vehicles.

Excluding insurance costs, I could buy more than 10 of them for what I paid for my car. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.