TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cold in East Iowa
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've read the earlier posts and still don't have a clue as to whether or not one can use an externally connected drive (SATA to USB) safely with InstantCake. The answer I got from DVRUpgrade was that they don't think so but go ahead and give it a try. I did allow the InstantCake CD to boot and I saw my externally connected drive model number displayed somewhere in the hundreds of code lines (I'm fluent in software but not Linux) but then it displayed a warning to make sure that my primary computer drive is disconnected so it doesn't get overwritten. I terminated it at that point. I've successfully used WINMFS to upgrade Series 1 drives via the USB adapter but I'm not sure if it will be able to make a truncated image from the upgraded 1 TB drive that came with my TivoHD. Since the InstantCake CD came with the TivoHD I'd like to be able to use it if I need a replacement down the line but I really don't want to have to tear open my computer just to image the new drive. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Cold in East Iowa
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I found on the InstantCake CD that looks like an image is simply labeled 000001. No file extention. WINMFS expects a TBK file extention. Is it simply a matter of adding that extention to the 000001 file? Does WINMFS support a 1 TB size disk? Has anyone actually tried using the InstantCake image with WINMFS?

UPDATE: Tried using the image file from InstantCake but WINMFS says that it is not a valid image file. Anyone out there with real world experience in this area?

·
Cold in East Iowa
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Unitron, I'll fiddle with it a bit more. I did look at the README file on the IC CD and it has a note that says it supports SATA to USB adapters. Think I'll try it with my Netbook computer because that will be easier to fix if I hose up the internal HD. If I can get IC to image a smaller HD (eg: 250 MB) then I'll probably go back and try to capture an image using WINMFS for possible future use if I have to replace the current 1 TB drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.