TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a weaknees updage kit, two new drives and thought I'd use Instant Cake in lieu of Hinsdale just because I'm not terribly conversant in Linux. I have what appears to be the "older Dell" problem (it's my only FAT32 machine) and involves the inability to boot as a master slave to a CD drive. I have tried everything under the sun (multiple jumper settings on CD and drives) and nothing works; when I can get Instant Cake to work (by setting thr CD drive as master) and it tells me the drives are ready to be installed, I sit at the grey powering up screen indefinitely. Putting the old drive back works, so at least the SO isn't too po'd.

My warning is this: I e-mailed PTVUpgade tech support almost a week ago and e-mailed the customer service center 48 hours later to advise them that I had not received a reply and to ask if they could help with my problem.

I have received no contact or help from this company. Not even a "sorry, we can't help you" reply. Their product may work great (I wouldn't know), but if you have problems, recognize that you are on your own.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
The ability to boot from CD isn't determined by jumper settings, you set it as an option in the BIOS screen. If it's not there, you don't have that option.

I copied the following from Weaknees site on the TiVo Upgrade Kit page: "All Self-Install upgrade kits include a brand-new hard drive or two (fully prepped for your model)". I read "fully prepped" as "set the drive(s) into the TiVo and power it up". If I'm mistaken about that, Michael or anyone who knows, feel free to step in. If that's the case, why were you running "Instant Cake", a utility that can be used to restore a TiVo when you don't have an image of the TiVo kernel for that model, on "fully prepped" drives?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CD setting was checked in (i) bios, (ii) connection to proper ide cable, and (iii) proper jumper setting (slave vs master). If I jumper and install the CD drive as the master, Intant Cake runs and purports to work -- unfortunately, the product it is turning out doesn't.

What I bought from weaknees was the bracket, fan, cable, etc. kit. The drives were local store-bought deals, not weeknees prepared drives. Sorry for the confusion. I have no problem with weaknees' products.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Do you have your C:\ drive and CD drive on the primary IDE channel with the C:\ jumpered as Master and CD drive as Slave? The two prospective TiVo drives should be on the secondary IDE channel jumpered as Master/Slave however you want to arrange them. If you didn't have that setup before rearrange it so you do and try running Instant Cake again.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I guess we can conclude then that you are either doing something wrong or there is a defect somewhere. If you want some help here then you need to give us lots of info. First, start by telling us how all the drives are hooked up to the computer when you can get it to boot into instantcake. Also the size of the new drives and how they were jumpered when you stuck them into the TiVo for testing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) C: drive removed for safety (one, I don't want to risk the drive, two, I don't want an accidental boot to xp). Disconnecting the PC's primary drive is also recommended by PTU.
2) CD Drive on primary ide cable jumpered to slave
3) New 250gb seagate on secondary ide set as master; hooked to end;
4) New 160 gb Hitachi on secondary ide, set as slave, hooked to middle connection

There is another thread below where I kind of went through the problems. In the end, you cannot get instant cake to run unless the CD rom drive is the master (and jumpered accordingly). Even then, there is a read-only abort on the target drives which can only be rectified by setting them to cable select. With all of these changes from what PTU says you should do, its no wonder what I'm doing isn't working. I'm not angry and I'm not a genius -- I would've just liked the courtesy of a little help, like the kind you guys are graciously providing for free.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Luckydawg said:
1) C: drive removed for safety (one, I don't want to risk the drive, two, I don't want an accidental boot to xp). Disconnecting the PC's primary drive is also recommended by PTU
My bad. I forgot you're not going to be making a backup with Instant Cake.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bidger said:
My bad. I forgot you're not going to be making a backup with Instant Cake.
Yeah, I was just gonna put the drive in a box with a silica gel packet and leave it in case of an emergency.

Well, I've printed out Hinsdale and I'm gonna try it the long way.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I used the PTVUpgrade disk and Hinsdale's instruction to put a 160 GB in a TCD540040 and it went well. you should be fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bidger said:
I used the PTVUpgrade disk and Hinsdale's instruction to put a 160 GB in a TCD540040 and it went well. you should be fine.
Hinsdale recommends checking your drive sizes right after the boot to Linux (Step 7, option 1). My new drive hdd is showing 137 Mb. Is it too early to be concerned with the updated (lba48?) kernel support, or should I do something now to show the full 250 mb?

Thnks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
What kind of computer are you using for this backup/restore? My Pentium 4 recognizes the full capacity of anything I have thrown at it so have not encountered the 137MB BIOS limit which I understand happens on older systems. Is there any chance there is a later BIOS upgrade for your computer that might help out here?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
funtoupgrade said:
What kind of computer are you using for this backup/restore? My Pentium 4 recognizes the full capacity of anything I have thrown at it so have not encountered the 137MB BIOS limit wihich I understand happens on older systems. Is there any chance there is a later BIOS upgrade for your computer that might help out here?
I'll take a look. It's an old dino -- a PII 400 Dell XPS-R400. Problem is, its not only my only FAT32 machine, its my only IDE machine. I see Hinsdale says you later have to expand the drive, so I guess I'm over that hurdle -- the problem is that when I used mfsrestore to restore the backup image to one of my new drives for testing, I got the grey screen of death again (please wait, powering up). So even following Hinsdale, something is going wrong..... This is the kind of grief I had hoped instant cake would help me avoid. I probably over-complicated the isssue by trying to go from 1 drive to two new ones at the same time. :(

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I can't remember the particulars, but I do recall when I bought and downloaded Instant Cake for an HDR-112 there was mention made about the machine you'd be using for the upgrade. I didn't pay much mind to it because I've done 7 upgrades on the Intel CA-810 mobo Celeron 500MHz CPU. Instant Cake worked for me, btw.

funtoupgrade's recommendation about seeing if there is an upgrade to the BIOS might be worth pursuing. If you don't know of anyone who could loan you a more recent machine, you might consider visiting a computer part store, not a Staples or OfficeMax, but one that actually has techs working on PCs and explain your plight and see if they have a machine they think might work and take either your Instant Cake or Boot CD and instructions, the drives and TiVo. If they're not comfortable letting you connect the drives, allow them to, but tell them you want to execute the upgrade. Check your capacity before running any commands and if it's not right, that's when you run Gunlock or some other utility to correct that situation.

If this all seems too daunting, then you might want to consider the pre-formatted drives because it seems as it stands the PC you're trying to run the upgrades on isn't suited for it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The basic problem here is that, apparently, the PC being used will ONLY boot from CD if the CD drive is configured as primary MASTER. The Instant Cake process is hard coded with the assumption that the Instant Cake CD in on hdb (primary SLAVE), and the target TiVo drives are hdc and hdd (secondary master, and slave if applicable).

You can use the Hinsdale instructions. When it tells you to restore the backup image, just use the one on the Instant Cake CD (found in the _IMAGES subdirectory, filename 000001).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dan - Thanks. I *think* I understood your post. Bidger, to answer your question, I treid everything new today according to hisdale and used the floppy approach for mfstools.

I also got weaknees cd to boot, but it would hang.

I formatted an old 6gb drive to house to tivo image (protects my c: xp drive) and successfully backed up the image off my Tivo dirve. When I used mfsrestore (per hisdale) to put the image on my new 250gb Hitachi and tested it in my Tivo, I was again stuck at the grey powering up screen. I did it again with a brand new seagate 160mb drive, and it got past the powering up screen only to go to the green screen saying "there is a serious error with your Tivo, do not turn off for three hours, etc. "

I'm ready to buy a new tivo.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Luckydawg said:
it got past the powering up screen only to go to the green screen saying "there is a serious error with your Tivo, do not turn off for three hours, etc. "
I got the same thing when I replaced my original 40GB hard drive with a larger one. I did exactly what my DVR told me and just waited about 3 hours. It came to life by itself after that. :) It's well worth the wait when you see your new recording capacity! :up:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Just so you won't feel so alone, I pulled out a S1 TiVo with Lifetime that I previously upgraded with a 120G then put into storage. I was trying to use Instant Cake to restore an image to the original drive to store as a backup, but IC reported it as too small. No surprise that when I disconnected the 120G and put the 14G, it went into a reboot loop. That didn't faze me, but when I reconnected the 120G and powered up, the 120G wouldn't even go into a reboot loop. I got nothing from it! I thought that was really odd because it was working fine the last time it was powered up. I took it out and ran IC, but I when I plugged it in, again nothing. Tried again, nothing. Then I looked at the jumper and thought that it didn't look right, not as far placement. It didn't seem to be seated right. I took it out, but dropped it on the carpet and had to fish around to find it. When I finally did and put it back in, I had an "Almost there..." screen. Next thing I know it's starting Guided Setup. So it goes to show that any little thing that's not right can throw the whole thing off.

I hope it comes out of the GSoD, Jay, but even if it doesn't don't let that deter you. You're bound to have something go wrong on your first upgrade attempt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan Collins said:
You can use the Hinsdale instructions. When it tells you to restore the backup image, just use the one on the Instant Cake CD (found in the _IMAGES subdirectory, filename 000001).
Dan - I tried re-restoring the image off my backup drive to the new drive. It booted in the Tivo once (got to the "almost there" screen) and then rebooted to the GSOD again.

Can you give the the exact syntax of the command I should use to get the image off the Instant cake CD? I'm not conversant enough in Linux to know how to restore a file from a removable device subdirectory.

Assume: hda - CDROM
hdb - null
hdc - new drive (as master); format to remove traces of prior efforts.
hdd - null

I can also boot to mfstools floppy and access the CDrom drive without booting to it, correct? If that's the case, then you can pretty much redo the drive assignments above any way you think is correct.

Once I get the single replacement drive working, I plan on adding a second drive for additional capacity. I tried to do it all at once, but it got too complicated with the CDrom slave limitation.

I want to keep my original Tivo drive as a safety net.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You can boot any way you please...using a floppy or any standard free TiVoTools boot CD. once booted, Linux is running from a RAM drive, so you can swap out the boot CD for the Instant Cake CD.

Assuming you have booted one way or another, and drives are arranged as shown....

First you have to mount the CD so you can read from it:

mount /dev/hda /cdrom

Then restore the IC image to your new drive:

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/_IMAGES/000001 /dev/hdc

That should do it. The only possible problem will be the way the _IMAGES directory shows up under Linux (I don't have a Linux machine handy to check it). If the above command fails, then try:

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/.images/000001 /dev/hdc

The first form is the way the CD is written, the second is the way it looks after booting from the IC CD. One or the other should work.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts