TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't quite find the ideal thread in a search, so here goes:

I watch the Simpsons on Fox 59 (Indianapolis), which flags old shows with the rerun "R" in the show info screen on the TiVo. However, even when I have "First Run Only" in a season pass for the show, the reruns are recorded. Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks! (Humax 80GB S2)
 

·
Reformed Druid
Joined
·
2,384 Posts
schalliol said:
I couldn't quite find the ideal thread in a search, so here goes:

I watch the Simpsons on Fox 59 (Indianapolis), which flags old shows with the rerun "R" in the show info screen on the TiVo. However, even when I have "First Run Only" in a season pass for the show, the reruns are recorded. Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks! (Humax 80GB S2)
TiVo can't read therefore the "R" means nothing.

TiVo uses the original air date to determine first run and treats any show with an original air date within the last several days (10 I think) as first run.

If the original air date is missing or incorrectly formatted TiVo errors on the side of safety and sees the show as a first run.

Remember that TiVo is only as smart as the data it is supplied.
 

·
bUU
Joined
·
10,671 Posts
I've noticed that a few USA programs, this week, have no original air date, so we're getting recordings of reruns.

You can report the program guide inaccuracies, but it isn't clear to me that there is any way to truly ensure that humans entering this data in, either at the networks or at Tribune, are never going to make a mistake. Stuff happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
TiVo uses the original air date to determine first run and treats any show with an original air date within the last several days (10 I think) as first run.
That can't be it, because I also have a Simpsons SP for first run only, and it still records all 3 showings in my area each day(5pm, 6pm, 10:30pm), and when I look at the episode info, it tells me the Original Air date.

Just yesterday it recorded the episode "Blame it on Lisa", so if the Tivo thinks its a new episode, how come in the info, it says Original Air Date of 3/31/02?

It annoys me that every day I have to go into my now playing list and delete 3 episodes of the Simpsons every day, otherwise by the end of the week I would have 15 eps on my now playing list taking up space.
 

·
Go Pats!
Joined
·
9,582 Posts
Yeah, this has been happening with Age of Love too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,374 Posts
mattack said:
Are you sure you don't also have an auto-recording wishlist for the simpsons?
Or that the TiVo isn't recording them as suggestions?
(Suggestions would have a little circular tivo logo next to them in the Now Playing list)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
This happens to me with both Daily show and Colbert Report. I have often wondered WTH...I'm glad this thread is here cuz i have the same question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
mattack said:
Are you sure you don't also have an auto-recording wishlist for the simpsons?
Jonathan_S said:
Or that the TiVo isn't recording them as suggestions?
(Suggestions would have a little circular tivo logo next to them in the Now Playing list)
Nope. No auto recorded wishlists and no suggestions, just a season pass set to first run only for the Simpsons on Fox.

The Simpsons isn't the only show like that either. I have a season pass for Deadliest Catch as well, and it records the 9am showing on Discovery Channel that airs Monday-Friday as well, and again its set to first run only.

The one recording right now as I type this says original air date of 4/11/06, so again I highly doubt 4/11/06 was just a few days ago.

I also have this issue with Moral Oral, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger force, Harvey Birdman, Colbert Report, Daily Show, Seconds from Disaster, South Park, Stargate Atlantis(really bothersome when Sci-Fi airs a marathon of that show), and this is just a fraction of my SP's, there are more as well, and some that have multiple daily showings that do not record as well.

They really need to tweak the way it decides what is first run, because every day, I either have to delete the stuff from now playing, or go into the To Do List and manually delete the show from the list.

What really cracks me up is that in the episode description, it will say the year that it was aired in (), so why doesn't the Tivo figure out that say (2002) is not a first run episode?
 

·
I can't explain
Joined
·
25,527 Posts
Dawny said:
This happens to me with both Daily show and Colbert Report. I have often wondered WTH...I'm glad this thread is here cuz i have the same question.
those two shows are known to have guide data issues and thus it is not the same perhpas as the other reports here.

I had a simpsons recording in the past and it recorded properly. Stargate Atlantis has recorded properly for me, ignoring the past few weeks as repeats and my wife setup "age of Love" and it recorded properly.

I do not think for those shows it is guide data but something else is happening
 

·
TIMELORD with TiVo
Joined
·
174 Posts
Dawny said:
This happens to me with both Daily show and Colbert Report. I have often wondered WTH...I'm glad this thread is here cuz i have the same question.
I have found that SP don't work on any news talk shows. It always picks up multiple recordings of the same episode. Probably due to the air date.

I have also had problems in the past with First Run when I switched a SP from the reruns to the first run only. I found that sometimes just deleting the SP and setting it up again fixes the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,374 Posts
mike3775 said:
Nope. No auto recorded wishlists and no suggestions, just a season pass set to first run only for the Simpsons on Fox.

The Simpsons isn't the only show like that either. I have a season pass for Deadliest Catch as well, and it records the 9am showing on Discovery Channel that airs Monday-Friday as well, and again its set to first run only.

The one recording right now as I type this says original air date of 4/11/06, so again I highly doubt 4/11/06 was just a few days ago.

I also have this issue with Moral Oral, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger force, Harvey Birdman, Colbert Report, Daily Show, Seconds from Disaster, South Park, Stargate Atlantis(really bothersome when Sci-Fi airs a marathon of that show), and this is just a fraction of my SP's, there are more as well, and some that have multiple daily showings that do not record as well.
That's just weird. I've never seen my TiVo do that.

Now it does have trouble with news shows, where it lists an Original Air Date, but doesn't identify the show as an episode. The OAD is the day the first episode of the show aired; in the case of some news programs that's a date in the 1940's!

And it can't tell generic episode data apart, leading to many recordings of Monk with the same description and the OAD of 12 July 2002.

But that isn't what you are describing. Weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
jtown0620 said:
I have found that SP don't work on any news talk shows. It always picks up multiple recordings of the same episode. Probably due to the air date.

I have also had problems in the past with First Run when I switched a SP from the reruns to the first run only. I found that sometimes just deleting the SP and setting it up again fixes the problem.
I did that with all my SP's and some worked and some didn't.

It still recorded Robot Chicken, Simpsons, and Deadliest Catch.

I don't mind when it does it to South Park, so I didn't try it with that one though

Its weird, but that trick did work on some but not all of them that I did try it on.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top