TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a tivo sitting in a box since college (almost 4 yrs ago)...I know shame on me. I have moved 3x in the past 4 yrs and just never got around to hooking it up. In the past 2 weeks, i have dusted it off and realized how much i used to love this wonderful system. I first came here and researched the new software and was shocked to see how much new stuff the latest software does compared to the version i used 3 yrs back. I just yesterday took it to my mother's to get updated ( It was running 3.2 software!!), updating was a 2 hr project.

Im now updated at 7.2 software and brought it home to my other gadgets and now im having a hell of a time figuring out the whole hookup scheme of things. I did a search on here for tivo hookup diagrams and found some but not as elaborate as my setup to help...

Im trying to configure the wires to:

1.) Sony lcd hdtv
2.) Yamaha receiver
3.) Scientific atlantic hdtv cable box
4.) Series 2 40hr Tivo (140 prefix serial #, its an oldie!!)
5.) Sony DVR
6.) Bose surround sound

Well besides the surround sound which strictly deals with my receiver, thats a whole different ballgame, i cannot find a setup diagram to figure out the wiring (what goes where) for the numbers 1-5 on my list...

I am lost on which electronic gets my main cable line coming into the house, and from that electronic does the next cable line go to, and so forth.
I also am lost on which electronic gets video in, and which electronic gets a video out line and to which video in outputs on which electronic, etc...

Any help would be appreciated, im a bit overwhelmed here...thanx guys.
I love this place by the way!

·
Just hangin'
30,962 Posts
I would sit down with a paper and pencil and write down every input and output on each piece of equipment.

Basics. The cable line goes to your cable box. The s-video outputs of the cable box connect to the DVR for SD recording. The HD component outs on the cable box connect to the TV for HD viewing. Then the s-video output of the DVR connect to the TV and the audio lines from cable box or DVR or both conenct to your Yamaha receiver or Bose surround sound. (Is #5 a DVR or a DVD recorder?). There are many combinations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JimSpence said:
I would sit down with a paper and pencil and write down every input and output on each piece of equipment.

Basics. The cable line goes to your cable box. The s-video outputs of the cable box connect to the DVR for SD recording. The HD component outs on the cable box connect to the TV for HD viewing. Then the s-video output of the DVR connect to the TV and the audio lines from cable box or DVR or both conenct to your Yamaha receiver or Bose surround sound. (Is #5 a DVR or a DVD recorder?). There are many combinations.
Sorry, my original post was pretty vague.

#5 is a Sony DVD recorder (No hard-drive)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got a PM...

Also, heres my input/output info...

HDTV
--- 3 Video/Audio Inputs (Yellow,red,white)
--- 2 component video Inputs (blue,green,red)
--- HDMI input
--- Digital Audio Out
--- Audio Out (Red,white)

Cablebox
--- component video Input (blue,green,red)
--- Audio Out (red,white)
--- Digital audio out
--- S video out
--- Video out (yellow)

Tivo
--- 2 Video/Audio Outputs (yellow, red, white)
--- 1 video/audio input (yellow, red, white)
--- S-video In
--- S-video Out

Sony DVD recorder
--- Component video out
--- Video/Audio In (yellow,white,red)
--- S-video out
--- digital audio out
--- audio out (red,white)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JimSpence said:
What about the Bose Surround Sound system?
I'll work on something for you.

Also, I think you meant component OUTPUT for the cable box.
Yes i did...thank you.

Also, thank you jim for all your help. I consider myself a pretty computer-savy guy and a fairly savy electronic guy in general...

I just looked at all the inputs and outputs and got a huge brainfart on the best configuration...the fact i hate wiring and cables didnt help..

I'd love to do everything wireless...that'll be the day...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JimSpence said:
I edited my previous post to include a PDF file.

It has two example connection diagrams.
One without the A/V receiver and the other with it (guesses).
Jim,
I just sent you a pm with my guesses on all the cable lines, tell me if im correct. Then i'll move on to any video/audio input questions i have...

I really do appreciate this...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.