TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basic Tivo Roamio - Yamaha RX-N600 (no HDMI) - Old Sony Triniton HD XBR 36" tube set. I have one of those HDMI cables that converts to red, green blue, red, white. I've tried from Tivo to Yamaha component input but no picture on the Sony.

What am I missing, other than having a giant old tube set and an outdated Yamaha receiver. BTW this all worked great with my old HD Tivo.

Any suggestions?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Tivo unit has an HDMI out, not sure I understand the suggestion. It does have a small yellow output, is that what you mean? what is at the other end of the cable that will plug to the Yamaha? Will that produce HD output? thanks, Bill

· Registered
1,034 Posts
you need a different connector. Don't use HDMI for this, use the Composite out port with a breakout cable.
Composite won't give HD and the Roamio Basic doesn't do component. Therefore, the only option for HD on the Basic is HDMI.

· Registered
16,635 Posts
Basic Tivo Roamio - Yamaha RX-N600 (no HDMI) - Old Sony Triniton HD XBR 36" tube set. I have one of those HDMI cables that converts to red, green blue, red, white. I've tried from Tivo to Yamaha component input but no picture on the Sony.

What am I missing, other than having a giant old tube set and an outdated Yamaha receiver. BTW this all worked great with my old HD Tivo.

Any suggestions?
Did you use the HDMI output on your old HD to feed that adapter cable, or just come straight out of the component (red, green, blue RCA jacks) output of the HD into one of the 3 component inputs on the Yamaha?

I suspect what's happening is that the Roamio isn't getting the proper "handshake" signal back up into its HDMI port from an HDMI jack that you don't have on a newer television that you don't have, and therefore it's not allowed to send video out the HDMI output because you might be trying to circumvent copy protection, and that's what the HDCP part of HDMI is supposed to prevent, and as far as I'm concerned the real reason for the existence of HDMI in the first place.

· Cranky old novice
9,541 Posts
you need a different connector. Don't use HDMI for this, use the Composite out port with a breakout cable.
Yes, better than reverting to your TiVo HD
Composite won't give HD and the Roamio Basic doesn't do component. Therefore, the only option for HD on the Basic is HDMI.
Strongly suspect you won't notice the HD difference on the old TV.

I thought TiVo sold a breakout cable for the Roamio basic but all I find on their web site is one for the TiVo mini. (??)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.