TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

· Registered
692 Posts
Can't remember now -- did you have an intermediate phase after leaving traditional cable+TiVo where you used a streaming cable service like YouTube TV? Or did you just go straight from cable to on-demand streaming services (e.g. HBO Max, Netflix, Prime Video, etc.)? Also, do you watch free OTA TV, either live or with some kind of OTA DVR system?
I went to Youtube Tv then went to streaming and now back to Youtube TV (For the wife) and some streaming. Yes, I have an antenna with Channels and the HDHomerun Flex Quatro.

· Registered
4,731 Posts
It's for our locals. Youtube TV doesn't carry most of them.
Are you talking about diginets like MeTV, Grit, Antenna TV, etc? I realize YTTV doesn't have most of those (although they do carry national feeds of quite a few, including Get TV, Start TV, Cozi TV, Comet, Dabl, Court TV, etc.)

I thought YTTV carries the local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS and CW stations just about everywhere. They also carry our local My Network TV station too.

· Cranky old novice
9,541 Posts
Are you talking about diginets like MeTV, Grit, Antenna TV, etc? I realize YTTV doesn't have most of those (although they do carry national feeds of quite a few, including Get TV, Start TV, Cozi TV, Comet, Dabl, Court TV, etc.)

I thought YTTV carries the local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS and CW stations just about everywhere. They also carry our local My Network TV station too.
That is my understanding, also. Definitely true in the Dayton, OH area.

· Registered
3 Posts
So I've been using Tivo nonstop since 1999, so I was a relatively early adopter. I've gone through probably 6-8 boxes over that time frame, and purchased boxes for a half dozen family member at one time or another. To say I was a Tivo fanboy is putting it mildly. Heck, my friends still kid me about how much I've raved about Tivo's over the years.

But over these last few years I've noticed a significant decrease in the usability/functionality of my Tivo (currently using an Edge). An easy example, navigation changes are abysmal, particularly when I head down a path in the settings to find something, and instead of being able to back out a level to try something else, I have to start again from scratch. My wife and I both absolutely hate the current Home screen interface. Tivo used to have insane functionality based on continual improvements and user feedback. It just seems like with the Tivo acquisition (for their IP, not the devices), things have gone downhill.

It's at the point my wife, who's the least tech savvy person on the planet, is asking for something else. (fyi - we also have a new Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, & Chromecast, though we use Roku 90% of the time because it's universal search and user interface is superior. Tivo is used for recording sporting events, recurring series, and the Mrs's reality shows.)

Enough rambling. I'm trying to determine the best alternative to Tivo for those who've reluctantly made the switch to something else. Running a NAS or something some sort of PC based alternative isn't an option because I'm looking for plug & play, and minimal tech proficiency required for setup and use. We do have Verizon Fios, so if there's nothing noteworthy option wise, I may end up going with a Verizon DVR, though I'd hate to do it.
Well the answer to your question is an easy one for me. By far the best alternative to TiVo is ChannelsDVR paired with an Silicondust HomeRun OTA network tuner It is not difficult to set up and is reliable. ChannelsDVR costs $80 a year for the service, or $8 a month. The Silicondust HomeRun tuners last forever, cost a couple hundred or buy used on ebay for much less. You can buy a tuner with a hard drive built in but why? Install Channels DVR on an old laptop as a server connect an external drive to it. Or if the HDD in the "Server" computer is large enough you are good. I use Channels with my Apple TV's, but it works well on Firesticks, and the TiVo Stream4K, and nearly every other streamer. It's an app. It your streaming device has the ability to attach an External HDD, like the TiVo4K, then you don't need an old PC as a "server". What is beautiful about this set up is ChannelDVR has the ability to remove all commercials from recordings automatically. You can also add TVE as a source in addition to your Network tuner. It's scalable. Stop and think about what that means. If you don't know what TVE is, google it, you will be glad you did. Remember sharing is caring!!

· Registered
5 Posts
Channels DVR is the best I've found so far. Definitely not plug/play, it takes some effort to set up and get everything working the way you want. But so far it passes the "wife" test, she picked it up and used it right away. They did a good job creating a usable streaming app for Android TV.

It reminds me a little of my ancient MythTV setup I had running a decade ago, however I was the only one who could use it. My wife tried and was baffled by it. So ease of use is a big factor for us, but Channels is winning so far.

· Registered
4,731 Posts
Highest WAF (wife acceptance factor) I have found is DirecTV Stream with their boxes.
Yeah, I keep saying that this is probably the overall highest-quality solution for TiVo users who are moving on to some kind of streaming cable TV service. The custom, full-function voice remote that comes with the DirecTV Stream box (which runs a highly customized version of Google's Android TV) allows for the most traditional cable DVR experience, including 0-9 buttons for channel numbers.

By the way, I've seen a next-gen DirecTV Stream box -- well, it's actually a pendant/dongle -- show up for certification at the FCC and WiFi Alliance. As expected, it has a more powerful processor. It goes by model number P21KW (while the current model is the C71KW). My guess is that it will use the exact same remote control as the current C71KW.

FCC filing:

Geekbench test results:

Unfortunately, I have no info on when it might be released or how much it will cost...

· 204 No Content
Custom Title 2
36,140 Posts
It does now. And it has voice control. I’d still have DTV stream if it weren’t insanely expensive. It’s costs the same as traditional cable/satellite, where YTTV is a lot less, and recordings are kept far longer.

The DTV stream box is by far the closest to the traditional cable/satellite user experience, but you’ll pay dearly for it.
Yeah, about a year ago, both a coworker and I were looking at replacements for DTV service. We were both looking at YTTV and DTV Stream and comparing notes.

He had already quite DTV, had no trouble getting an account opened with DTV, and immediately liked the service. I played around with it a bit at his house, and it was indeed really, really similar to traditional DVR-enabled cable/satellite systems.

I thought I'd give it a try, but my DTV account was still active, and I discovered that, at least at the time, it was impossible to sign up for DTV Stream if you had an active DTV account. I gave up and decided to try YTTV.

It's functional. The interface is wonky (especially when I was viewing Olympics coverage), but it otherwise seems to work quite well.

I keep thinking of setting up Channels DVR to give a better interface, but start to look at all the steps involved, and decided that I'd rather put up with the wonkiness for now.

· Registered
21 Posts
I keep thinking of setting up Channels DVR to give a better interface, but start to look at all the steps involved, and decided that I'd rather put up with the wonkiness for now.
I don't remember setting up Channels being hard or taking very long and my setup includes antenna, TVE and pluto on a new Synology NAS. It was well worth what little effort it took. Put it on an old PC and try it out, the first 30 days are free.

· Registered
8,336 Posts
I don't remember setting up Channels being hard or taking very long and my setup includes antenna, TVE and pluto on a new Synology NAS. It was well worth what little effort it took. Put it on an old PC and try it out, the first 30 days are free.
99% of tv viewers have no idea what a “Synology NAS” is and 75% don’t have an “old PC” laying around to modify.

Channels has a high barrier of entry for normals.

· Registered
21 Posts
99% of tv viewers have no idea what a “Synology NAS” is and 75% don’t have an “old PC” laying around to modify.

Channels has a high barrier of entry for normals.
I didn't know what a Synology Nas was either, and now I do. And if you don't have an old PC laying around then put it on your daily driver as a trial.

I went with the NAS as it looked like the best replacement for my TiVos when it looked like cablecards were going away sooner than later. Fortunately for Spectrum users the HSC seems to be saving the day. Running both systems in parallel I hardly touch the TiVos anymore. Right now my NAS has been running for 65 days without a hiccup. I can't say that for the TiVos. There has been at least 2 tuning adapter reboots in that time frame.

You don't need to be tech savvy or afraid to try Channels. If you can follow directions and are not afraid to ask questions if you get stuck, it's not that hard. There are some very helpful and quick to respond users on the channels forum.

· U.S. Army (ret.)
1,844 Posts
No. AFAIK, the only pay TV service whose own DVR has commercial skip is Dish satellite, with their Hopper DVR. Although even there, I think there are some restrictions on the feature (e.g. isn't available until X hours after recording on certain channels).
Although I have no experience with it, I do know that Comcast has their version of commercial skip, which they are calling Smart Resume.

· Registered
106 Posts
For me, Tivo is irreplaceable because, from what I've read, none of the other options has the responsiveness of the Tivo trick play. The functionality of the Tivo trick play allows me to seamlessly skip over commercials without really thinking about it. The commercial skip feature is nice, but it's limited to certain programming.

If a channels DVR setup could be configured, to transfer the shows to a Tivo with compatible metadata that would be a good solution for me.

· 204 No Content
Custom Title 2
36,140 Posts
Okay, I gave it a try:

1. Channels DVR installed on NAS. Relatively straightforward.
2. Start subscription to Channels. Relatively straightforward.
3. Create new google account without 2FA on it. No problems.
4. Add that new google account to family sharing. No problems.
5. Read over notes and see that I should validate first with NBC.com/live. Done. No problems.
6. Add TV Anywhere Service with YTTV as a provider. Fails with an authentication dialog via NBC.
7. Check forums. Apparently this just happens sometimes. I guess I'll keep trying it again and looking over the forums...

(I won't ever have an antenna. I get basically zero signal, even with a really good antenna. I've checked)

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,861 Posts
Okay, I gave it a try:

1. Channels DVR installed on NAS. Relatively straightforward.
2. Start subscription to Channels. Relatively straightforward.
3. Create new google account without 2FA on it. No problems.
4. Add that new google account to family sharing. No problems.
5. Read over notes and see that I should validate first with NBC.com/live. Done. No problems.
6. Add TV Anywhere Service with YTTV as a provider. Fails with an authentication dialog via NBC.
7. Check forums. Apparently this just happens sometimes. I guess I'll keep trying it again and looking over the forums...

(I won't ever have an antenna. I get basically zero signal, even with a really good antenna. I've checked)
Welcome to Channels! Sorry about TVE. TVE is as TVE does. I gave up on TVE as a source early on, but many swear by it. I see you've joined the 2FA party with a Channels Community post. Please also join us on the TCF Channels DVR thread.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts