TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The Up Next queue in the Apple TV app on the Apple TV box does a good job of this. It tracks what you're watching across pretty much every on-demand app except Netflix (who won't participate in Apple's system). I've been using it for years and wouldn't give it up.

It's funny that you mention Apple TV because my buddy who's an Apple fanboy as well as an corp employee just bought me the newest Apple TV as a gift in Dec, in an attempt to get me and the Mrs to switch from Roku. We used it for a week and then went back to Roku. We actually use the Apple TV app on Roku instead of the actual streaming device because Apple's remote and user interface isn't that great or intuitive. I also hate that Apple is constantly suggesting shows that once I click on I discover I have to pay extra for. The picture quality and sound is outstanding though. (Love Ted Lasso).

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
go back to the old UI.. if you can.. (You lose your recordings though)

While some features have declined from the peak, my Tivos definitely still do more than what they did when I bought them... (e.g. QuickMode and commercial skip weren't there.. despite the latter being less reliable, I use it when available, even manually going back to now playing to try to get it to update in the rare cases when I watch a recording right after it's done.)
Good point that QuickMode and commercial skip aren't in the older versions, but after 23 years of Tivo I've got to the point where I've mastered the >>> commercial skip with a perfect landing, so I don't mind it so much.

As for going back to the old UI, I didn't know that was an option. (Assuming it's a simple process and not for the tech savvy.)

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
If you're happy with a TiVo you have currently with FiOS and a CableCARD there's likely no reason to even worry or contemplate changes. An EDGE was I'd say a bad decision but it is what it is. How long have you had your EDGE? Is your EDGE OTA or CableCARD?

I am not familiar with recent FiOS DVR's so I can't comment but if you were in a Comcast/Xfinity market also the XG1V4 box is quite good and many I know are very happy with it. I have it and also TiVo. Were CableCARDS to go away I could do well with the XG1V4 and my other streaming options that you have. The XG1V4 is a very good 'streaming' device, I use it very little as a 'streamer' but it does well. Comcast/Xfinity has a 'SmartResume' feature that does very well for Commercial Skip also.
IF I were happy with my Edge with CableCARD and the newer Tivo UI, I wouldn't be contemplating a change and wouldn't have posted. ;) Problem is that we hate the new UI and my Edge isn't nearly as reliable as my previous boxes. Still works, but needs a reset every couple months. We've got Fios and I don't know much about their DVR. If it's as good as you're saying Comcast's is, maybe that's the Easy Button for my situation. But after 22+ years I'll be sad to leave Tivo.

My wish is that someone with more money than he knows what to do with, buys the Tivo hardware business away from the IP company (Xperi) that purchased Tivo a few years ago. Xperi doesn't give a rats about the hardware, because the value is in the IP which every DVR manufacturer has to license. So they will milk what's left of the cash stream, before finally burying the box.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
ClearToLand had the best answer so far. If you want something a little faster than the Roameo, then a Bolt running TE3 with no more than a 2TB drive. The 3TB drives are failure prone. Even better upgrade to an external 3.5 inch drive from Weaknees or a do it yourself external upgrade as discussed in several threads previously.

It appears that your main problem is with TE4, which is all the Edge will run. Personally I won't move to TE4 or an Edge until I have absolutely no other choice.
Yeah, TE4 sucks balls. But didn't think for a min that Tivo would put out a crappy UI after 15+ years of excellence with continual improvements. I guess an option is to pick up a Bolt on Ebay or somewhere similar.

· Registered
469 Posts
I would also recommend that the OP take a look at YouTube TV, which is IMO overall the best bargain going at $65/mo. However, it isn't the closest thing to a traditional cable TV experience of all the streaming services. That would be DirecTV Stream, which I would also recommend the OP take a look at.

DTV Stream now includes their unlimited cloud DVR for no additional cost (used to be an extra $10/mo). The downside is that it just stores recordings for 90 days before auto-deleting them. But its UI and feature set is more like a TiVo or traditional cable/satellite DVR than is the case with YouTube TV, which also has an unlimited DVR but retains recordings for 9 months before auto-deleting them.
Do you know if the unlimited DTV DVR for $0/mo is an offer for new (or long-term) subs only? I just checked my in-law's account and the unlimited DVR is still a $10/mo option but they've only had the service for 4 months.

Another thing DTV Stream has going for it is their optional dedicated Android TV streaming box with full-function voice remote, which makes using it more like a high-quality cable TV service and not as much like a streaming service. Those boxes cost $120 each up-front, although they'll spread the cost out at $5/mo for 24 months at sign-up if you like. You buy them, not rent them. And you don't have to buy them, you can use their apps for Apple TV, Roku and Fire TV at no additional cost on up to 20 devices on your home network at the same time, plus another 2 or 3 mobile devices away from home. And DTV Stream is reputed to have the best HD picture quality and widest support for DD 5.1 audio of all the streaming cable TV services too.
Good point. I wish I'd known that the box was optional before I had my in-laws sign up for the service. The sales rep, naturally, didn't happen to mention that. eBay is full of nearly-new to well-used DTVStream boxes in the $20 and up range. Some of them won't activate for various reasons and DirectTV won't replace them, of course, so it's up to the buyer to work out a resolution with the seller in those cases.

· Registered
4,731 Posts
Do you know if the unlimited DTV DVR for $0/mo is an offer for new (or long-term) subs only? I just checked my in-law's account and the unlimited DVR is still a $10/mo option but they've only had the service for 4 months.
This is raging online debate at the moment. Some long-term subs are saying that they now are getting unlimited DVR for free, others are saying they are not. Different customers are getting different answers from DTV Stream reps when they contact them to ask about it.

Worst-case scenario for your in-laws is, if a week or so from now they aren't getting the free unlimited DVR, even after contacting support and asking for it, they just cancel the service. After they finish out the current month that's already paid for, they sign back up again using a different email address and then as a "new" customer they'll definitely get the free unlimited DVR. (From what I've read, the DTV Stream customer database is completely tied to email address as the unique identifier.) The only real downsides are that they'd lose whatever recordings are currently stored in their cloud DVR and, if they purchased any of those boxes up-front and chose to pay them off over time, they'll be charged the full remaining balance at the time they cancel. But cloud DVR recordings auto-expire after 90 days anyhow and they were always going to be on the hook for the full cost of those boxes ($120 each), so I don't see either as a huge deal. (Keep in mind too that a lot of recent shows are available from DTV Stream on-demand, with unskippable ads, as a back-up option if you don't have a cloud DVR recording of the show.)

Good point. I wish I'd known that the box was optional before I had my in-laws sign up for the service. The sales rep, naturally, didn't happen to mention that. eBay is full of nearly-new to well-used DTVStream boxes in the $20 and up range. Some of them won't activate for various reasons and DirectTV won't replace them, of course, so it's up to the buyer to work out a resolution with the seller in those cases.
Yes. I used to routinely mention the eBay option for those boxes but now that some older boxes aren't properly activating, I don't even recommend it. I'm sure that option will still work out for many folks, but it appears to be a "buyer beware" situation now.

· Registered
25,611 Posts
IF I were happy with my Edge with CableCARD and the newer Tivo UI, I wouldn't be contemplating a change and wouldn't have posted. ;) Problem is that we hate the new UI and my Edge isn't nearly as reliable as my previous boxes.
then why did you get newer boxes? If you still have e.g. Premiere or Roamio boxes, you can use them (that's what I use).

Did you "upgrade" thinking it would be an improvement just for the heck of it?

· Registered
543 Posts
My 3TB Bolt+ died a few months ago (failed harddrive yet again on that unit) and I got the Edge. I use the 1st gen mini in my other room. Based on your comment I’m wondering if I can revive my Bolt+ by hooking up an external harddrive to it and use it in place of the mini? I deactivated my service though on the Bolt+ and bought Lifetime with the Edge. Just curious what my options are with the Bolt (if any). Thanks for any input.
If you transferred service on the Bolt you would have to add it back - not sure if it would be worth it. Cable card on the Edge can record 4 channels, just like the Bolt. Unlike the Bolt, the Edge does support (what little there is) 4K content.

If you did still want to revive the Bolt and it was just the hard drive that died, just get a 3.5" 8TB drive - I've shucked the Western Digital MyBooks or whatever the USB drives are - they routinely come on sale at BestBuy - crack the USB case, extract the hard drive and you almost always end up with a WD Red. Although I suppose these days there might be significant risk of getting an SMR drive doing that. The Data Horders sub thread on Reddit is an awesome resource to find the best deals on larger hard drives. And if you don't understand SMR - search the Data Hoarders reddit for SMR (TL;dr - do NOT buy an SMR drive for use in a Tivo) Also avoid Amazon for drives - it's a crap show with what you may or may not actually end up with. Before all the people pop out of the weeds to tell me how awesome their experience with Amazon has been - congratulations! You've been lucky. Good luck and I hope you don't value your time when you finally do get a crap/counterfeit product - especially one that mostly works at first. So much fun!

Anyway, once you have a suitable 3.5" drive you want to use if it's over 3TB you might have to run MFS Reformatter to prep the drive - no biggie, really. Then just run a regular internal SATA cable from the Bolt's internal connection to the 3.5" drive. Power the 3.5" drive externally. USB to SATA kits include hard drive power supplies that are PERFECT for this (and make running MFS Reformatter easy too!). One like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/SATA-PAT...rive-with-External-AC-Power-Adapter/706363896 That kit even comes with an internal SATA cable.

Not recommending that USB kit per se; just first one with picture of the kind of external power supply for the 3.5" hard drive I'm talking about - the black cable on the power brick connect to the white (molex) connector on the red/black/yellow cable. At first I just set the hard drive on the shelf behind the Bolt and cut a hole in the case big enough for the SATA cable to poke out the back. Eventually I just ripped the top off the bolt and left it off, hacked up the back of a dead Tivo Romio, stuffed the bolt and hard drive inside the Romio and got something looking more respectable - but would have been perfectly fine leaving the 3.5" drive in the open behind the bolt; had it that way for over 3 years just fine. No overheating issues anyway :)

· Registered
220 Posts
If you transferred service on the Bolt you would have to add it back - not sure if it would be worth it. Cable card on the Edge can record 4 channels, just like the Bolt. Unlike the Bolt, the Edge does support (what little there is) 4K content.
The Edge for cable should have 6 tuners.

The Bolt has always had and supported 4k content, both streaming and via cable. Issue is there isn't much there on the cable side.

· Registered
34 Posts
TiVo has definitely gone steeply downhill over the last two decades. The Series I was a great unit, albeit physically quite limited. The Series II was almost no improvement, and in many ways it was a step backwards. The Series III was a great improvement in terms of the hardware, and the Chain of Trust was fairly easy to defeat, leaving one with a fairly decent piece of hardware, albeit slow,, and it was / is a bad bit of business the CableCard never quite worked as promised on the Series III. The Premiere was a significant step forward in terms of speed and of the functioning of the CableCards, but otherwise it is a total piece of crap. They gutted most of the best features of the software for no discernible purpose. The chain of trust is apparently unbreakable, which makes the unit nearly totally useless. To add insult to injury, the new program guide service is a steaming pile of dog do.

To answer the OP's question, I don't see there really is a solution. The CATV industry's moronic attitudes are making them an untenable solution, and streaming services offer little or nothing I want. My video library s large enough to last me well enough for the rest of my life, so the TiVo's are likely to be relegated to nothing more than a media client for my servers. They do not do very well in this respect, but they do well enough. That will likely be the entire extent of my TV watching, with the exception of a few YouTube channels like SciManDan, Thunderf00t, This Old Tony, and Blondihacks.

· Registered
692 Posts
TiVo has definitely gone steeply downhill over the last two decades. The Series I was a great unit, albeit physically quite limited. The Series II was almost no improvement, and in many ways it was a step backwards. The Series III was a great improvement in terms of the hardware, and the Chain of Trust was fairly easy to defeat, leaving one with a fairly decent piece of hardware, albeit slow,, and it was / is a bad bit of business the CableCard never quite worked as promised on the Series III. The Premiere was a significant step forward in terms of speed and of the functioning of the CableCards, but otherwise it is a total piece of crap. They gutted most of the best features of the software for no discernible purpose. The chain of trust is apparently unbreakable, which makes the unit nearly totally useless. To add insult to injury, the new program guide service is a steaming pile of dog do.

To answer the OP's question, I don't see there really is a solution. The CATV industry's moronic attitudes are making them an untenable solution, and streaming services offer little or nothing I want. My video library s large enough to last me well enough for the rest of my life, so the TiVo's are likely to be relegated to nothing more than a media client for my servers. They do not do very well in this respect, but they do well enough. That will likely be the entire extent of my TV watching, with the exception of a few YouTube channels like SciManDan, Thunderf00t, This Old Tony, and Blondihacks.
The streaming services offer me literally everything I want. I got rid of the several hundred channels that I didn't watch. My wife was angry until she learned and now she is far happier looking for shows and not channels.

· Registered
4,731 Posts
The streaming services offer me literally everything I want. I got rid of the several hundred channels that I didn't watch. My wife was angry until she learned and now she is far happier looking for shows and not channels.
Can't remember now -- did you have an intermediate phase after leaving traditional cable+TiVo where you used a streaming cable service like YouTube TV? Or did you just go straight from cable to on-demand streaming services (e.g. HBO Max, Netflix, Prime Video, etc.)? Also, do you watch free OTA TV, either live or with some kind of OTA DVR system?

· Registered
529 Posts
We are thinking of doing exactly the same thing you did!! We are streaming more and more and paying for cable channels we don’t watch. Luckily we are in a very good reception area and our TiVo’s can do cable and OTA …. So by putting up an antenna we will get all the locals …. PBS out of Boston may be an issue because they went to low vhf and using a monster antenna won’t pass wife’s acceptance :)….. although if you become a public television supporter ($5.00 per month) you’re able to download the pbs app and access all their programming.

· FUBAR
4,983 Posts
The Premiere was a significant step forward in terms of speed and of the functioning of the CableCards, but otherwise it is a total piece of crap. They gutted most of the best features of the software for no discernible purpose. The chain of trust is apparently unbreakable, which makes the unit nearly totally useless.
Really? If you're a hoarder/pirate, sure. Otherwise, total BS - on Comcast e.g., only the premiums are CP'd.

Not to mention that the vast majority of users don't give a fig about xfer'ing stuff to PCs, nor do they care whether the Tivo code can be modded. It works well as intended, which is to be the best DVR you could get at the time. TE3 is still good stuff for recording/watching shows, even if the guide is crap at times. And the HDUI is way better than the SDUI that came before it, discovery bar notwithstanding.

The Premiere/Roamio/Bolt/Edge were obviously not for the hardcore, and were never intended to be.

· Registered
4,731 Posts
PBS out of Boston may be an issue because they went to low vhf and using a monster antenna won’t pass wife’s acceptance :)….. although if you become a public television supporter ($5.00 per month) you’re able to download the pbs app and access all their programming.
Yep. And while supporting your local PBS station is a good thing to do regardless, you may be surprised at the amount of content you can access for free in their app. Basically everything that aired within the last 14 days, plus a lot of stuff older than that. The main thing you lose after 14 days without the paid Passport membership are the latest episodes of scripted shows (e.g. Masterpiece). You only get a rotating selection of older episodes of other flagship series like Nature, NOVA, and American Signature. But you get all back episodes of Frontline.

· Registered
34 Posts
Really? If you're a hoarder/pirate, sure.
Yes, really. First of all, building a library is NOT hoarding, your attempt to disparage wanting to watch what I want when I want notwithstanding. I also have a modest book library, and that does not constitute hoarding, either. Compulsive hoarding is characterized by indiscriminate collecting of large amounts of poorly considered items, the vast majority of which are never used at all. Furthermore, it is also characterized by a near total lack of organization. My libraries consist exclusively of items that are prized by myself or members of my family, and they are filed and cross-referenced very consistently and effectively. One or the other of us watch several of the items in my video library and read several of the books in my library every week.

Perhaps you are obsessive to the point you wish to watch a particular item at a particular time every week, or else so in need of being led that you are sanguine with being forced particular things at more or less particular times, but I am not.

Nor am I a pirate. I pay for every bit of content I watch, including every bit I archive. There is no illegal content in either of my libraries.

Otherwise, total BS - on Comcast e.g., only the premiums are CP'd.
Comcast is not available in my area, nor in the majority of areas. Although it is by a modest margin the largest MSO, its penetration is still only about 32%. (Note when it suits you, you speak of "most users", but when it applies to you, personally, you backup your arguments with less than 1/3 of users.)

For the most part, I don't care to watch anything but premium content. I certainly do not watch broadcast TV, with the exception of PBS. If I want to watch Downton Abbey, or an episode of Nova from twenty years ago, I do. Of course, I have also purchased many, many DVDs and BluRay discs. It is exactly such things that make up the vast majority of my TV enjoyment, and it would simply be impossible without an extensuive video library. The vast majority of what is on TV today is simply total crap. The tiny fraction that is not total crap I save to my library to watch again and again through the remainng years of my life.

Not to mention that the vast majority of users don't give a fig about xfer'ing stuff to PCs
Who cares what the vast majority of users want? Are you happy to be guided by what a bunch of morons want? I am certainly not. The OP asked what the members of this forum, in particular I, would do, not the unwashed masses.

nor do they care whether the Tivo code can be modded.
I do not care about them, any more than they care about me. No one's lack of desire for superior hardware is of the least bit of concern to me. I do not know you, so I cannot make any well considered insights into your character, but I might suggest you cogitate upon the term, "Sheeple".

It works well as intended
No, it doesn't, by which I mean it would serve almost no purpose whatsoever for my needs unless modified. The exact same thing is true of a lathe I purchased last year, and also a vertical milling machine, not to mention hundreds of other tools. Without modification, their uses are badly limited. Add a few important modifications, and now their usability is increased many fold. The difference is, none of the machine tool manufacturers are at any pains to prevent me from modifying their products.

which is to be the best DVR you could get at the time.
Well, depending on what "time" you mean, at one point it was the only DVR. In any case, however, the statement is irrelevant. With a little work, the Series I and Series III could easily be made much, much better, to the point they actually served a purpose for me (and still do). My sister in law purchase a Bolt. She considers it to be so utterly lousy, she never uses it. She is absolutely right.

TE3 is still good stuff for recording/watching shows, even if the guide is crap at times.
The point is, it is just one more aggravating and utterly unnecessary reduction in quality of what at one time was a fairly good product, or more properly could be easily modified to be a fairly good product.

And the HDUI is way better than the SDUI that came before it, discovery bar notwithstanding.
Oh, not even close. If my sister in law were able to roll back the UI on the Bolt, she would be using it. Both t he Bolt and the Premiere HDUI suck badly beyond belief. It is true the classic TiVo SDUI leaves a great deal to be desired, but the HDUI is far, far worse.

The Premiere/Roamio/Bolt/Edge were obviously not for the hardcore, and were never intended to be.
What is your point? I suggested they are terrible, and you seem to concur, although you seem to fail to realize it. I hate to break it to you, but mediocrity is NOT a virtue, irrespective of how popular or profitable it might be.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts