TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tivo is connected to my network wirelessly (is that a word?). I get a pretty good signal. Usually between 90 and 100%. The transfers to my computer are still pretty slow. About 2 to 3 times longer than the recordings playtime. Would a wired connection be any better or is that just the standard since Tivo's USB port is a 1.0. Weakest link in the chain and all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two things: First, "Is wired faster than wireless?" Second, my transfer times are for "High" quality recordings.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
From my experience wired transfers are way faster than wireless regardless of signal strength and it has nothing to do with USB since both the wireless card and wired card plug into the same USB connection.

·
Annoyed with trolls
341 Posts
Do some searching on this forum to find out what USB version your unit has. If it is a newer unit, it may use USB 2.0

For USB 1.1, the throughput is 12Mbps
For USB 2.0, the throughput is 480Mbps

For a wireless B connection, the transfer rate is 11Mbps
For a wireless G connection, the transfer rate is 54Mbps

For a wired 10/100 connection, the transfer rate is 100Mbps

Now, looking at those numbers, your transfer speed will be equal to the lowest number in your chain. You can't push more water through a pipe just cause the next pipe in line is bigger.

Also, even with USB2.0 and a wired 10/100 connection, your data transfer rate will likely still be below the max of 100Mbps. The TiVo has to process the data it sends and processing slows down the transfer rate, however, a wired 10/100 connection on a USB 2.0 TiVo will still be the fastest.

Jeff

·
Annoyed with trolls
341 Posts
Also, just because your adapter is a wireless G adaptor or a 10/100 adapter, DOESN'T mean you will actually get the full speed. The adapter itself may only be a USB 1.1 adapter and is therby limited by it's own USB speed even if it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

Read the package in detail first to determine whether the adapter is USB 2.0 capable.

Jeff

·
Coming and going
8,027 Posts
I recommend wired for reliability and speed!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the TiVo wireless G USB network adapter. Is that USB 2.0? I also have a Humax 40 hour DVD Version 7.2 Tivo. Is that the USB 2.0 unit?

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
gzamira said:
I have the TiVo wireless G USB network adapter. Is that USB 2.0? I also have a Humax 40 hour DVD Version 7.2 Tivo. Is that the USB 2.0 unit?
Yes and Yes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts