TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bolt (not ota bolt) that is running fine on with its cable card. But since I suffer with Spectrum I am a little worried about taking the cable card out. It took many hours to get Spectrum to work.

If I leave the card in and swap the cable for an antenna, and run guided setup will the bolt ignore the card and let me scan for stations?

If I take the card out and set it up for OTA, see how it goes, then put the card back and switch back to cable will I have to get it re-paired?

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
If you repeat GS for OTA the cable card should be ignored. I'm basing this on my observation an older TiVo box that can be set for cable and OTA without a cable card and not care. I would do the OTA GS first, scan, and observe the results. I would not remove the card.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not tried what I wanted to do yet. But, I stumbled across an additional consideration. I have a bunch of minis too. So hooking up the antenna would/might make the MOCA network not work/not work well. Again, I have not tested. Just googled.

·
TDL shepherd
17,530 Posts
I have not tried what I wanted to do yet. But, I stumbled across an additional consideration. I have a bunch of minis too. So hooking up the antenna would/might make the MOCA network not work/not work well. Again, I have not tested. Just googled.
There are workarounds for what you're suggesting, depending on where the raw antenna signal and cable Internet signals are needed, and how they're routed via the coax. See the following post for some background...
Very common issue, experienced by another user just yesterday, partly due to TiVo Support supplying bad info. (see this post, and the thread in which it sits).

As mentioned above, the ~official~ solution is isolating either the cable signal or OTA signal from the shared coax, allowing MoCA and the remaining signal source to flow over the shared coax.

That said, the simplest solution *for you* would be using an antenna/satellite diplexer (e.g.) at your MoCA-enabled BOLT location, rather than the simple splitter you tried, to strategically filter your conflicting signals ... allowing just the OTA and MoCA signals to pass to/from the BOLT, while keeping the OTA and cable signals isolated from each other.

Diplexer connections --
ANT (VHF/UHF): connects to antenna
SAT: connects to coax plant
IN/OUT: connect to BOLT

Add'l background info >here<.

Examples:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.