TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agreed to a 2 year commitment when I received my HD Tivo in Sept 2005, So I am "committed" until 9/2007. After reading about the 5LNB Dish I definitely don't want that thing on my house. Since I live in the NY local feed area I don't fell the need to upgrade, unless I am required to, due to all broadcast in mpeg4. When the deadline comes and I have to do it, I am definitely switching back to Comcast. Anybody have any idea when that will be? If it is before 9/2007, can I talk my way out of a penalty if I cancel?

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,754 Posts
Don't worry about it now. Worry about it when you have to make a decision. Odds are good that won't happen until well after 9/2007. Even if it is possible to get out of the commitment prematurely (and there are several ways), what might be possible a year from now could very well be different.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not Required, but I will no longer be able to receive mpeg2 HD locals and national stations. This is what I mean by deadline. Once this happens it's back to comcast for me, regardless of penalty. I think DTV is on the decline. The first major blunder is dropping Tivo, next will be this hideous 5 LNB dish.

Left out reducing broadcast signal quality , another blunder, the reason I switched to begin with along with Tivo.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,754 Posts
ciucca said:
Not Required, but I will no longer be able to receive mpeg2 HD locals and national stations. This is what I mean by deadline. Once this happens it's back to comcast for me, regardless of penalty. I think DTV is on the decline. The first major blunder is dropping Tivo, next will be this hideous 5 LNB dish.

Left out reducing broadcast signal quality , another blunder, the reason I switched to begin with along with Tivo.
The NY HD locals will be in MPEG-2 for quite some time, since they (and the LA feeds) are used to serve white areas, waivered folks, and owned-and-operated viewing areas.

There may come a time when DirecTV will work towards converting all of those "stragglers" over to MPEG-4 equipment and the 5-LNB dish, but that's likely not happening until they have the final two satellites launched and operational in 2007 that are part of their MPEG-4 service expansion.

Seriously, it's just not worth worrying about until the time comes you have to make a decision. That time is not coming tomorrow, next week, next month, or even this year. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.