TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to suggestions from this board I've watched the DVD sets of Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, Firefly, Wonderfalls, and this last weekend I finished Dead Like Me. It's so damn frustrating to fall in love with a show that has no future. Serenity helped ease the pain from Firefly, but knowing there probably won't be a sequel hurts.

Of course my favorite current TV show has to be Arrested Development. At least The Office and My Name is Earl look like they'll be back next year and Scrubs has already had a decent run.

·
Well aren't you
6,950 Posts
I too watched Dead Like Me recently and wished it hadn't been cancelled.

Don't check out Sports Night either. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was pretty upset too! I rented DLM at BlockBuster and I thought it was still on! I was ready to subscribe to showtime :(

·
Banned
34,759 Posts
jschuur said:
Every show will get cancelled eventually.
Well, some will be allowed to properly end rather than abruptly stop.

Except Doctor Who apparently.
Even that has to... isn't there a 12 regeneration limit? What number are they on now? I haven't really watched it since Tom Baker (#4 I think).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mrpantstm said:
I too watched Dead Like Me recently and wished it hadn't been cancelled.

I knew someone would mention Sports Night! That's one I still need to watch.

·
Registered
984 Posts
busyba said:
Even that has to... isn't there a 12 regeneration limit? What number are they on now? I haven't really watched it since Tom Baker (#4 I think).
I think they are on nine ( I seem to remember there being some debate as to wether Paul McGann and David Niven should count). Despite that they did get past the 12 regenerations for "The Master" though I can't remember the details of how. Perhaps they will use a similar method to get beyond 12.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Due to everyone's superb taste in television, I would highly recommend Boomtown. The DVD set is $17.99 at BB and its sublime.

·
TV-holic, improving
2,278 Posts
nhaigh said:
I think they are on nine ( I seem to remember there being some debate as to wether Paul McGann and David Niven should count). Despite that they did get past the 12 regenerations for "The Master" though I can't remember the details of how. Perhaps they will use a similar method to get beyond 12.
The new one in the upcoming season (and from the Christmas special) is being billed as the 10th Doctor.

But it's all time travel based, so if they really wanted to, they could go back and retcon something.

·
TV-holic, improving
2,278 Posts
mrpantstm said:
I've had that in my Netflix queue for a while and it suddenly got bumped from the released list to just 'Saved' with an 'Unknown' release date.

·
Rebus Philbin
38,570 Posts
funbox said:
Due to everyone's superb taste in television, I would highly recommend Boomtown. The DVD set is $17.99 at BB and its sublime.
One of my favorites.

It also currently airs in HD on UHD.

·
Registered Snoozer
1,091 Posts
jschuur said:
I've had that in my Netflix queue for a while and it suddenly got bumped from the released list to just 'Saved' with an 'Unknown' release date.
I had that happen on a DVD set also. I think it was MI-5 Series 1, but I'm not sure. I got a note from customer service after I enquired that the discs they had available had been lost or damaged and that more were on order, but no information about an availability date was available.

·
She likes cheese.
4,768 Posts
CaffeineBoy said:
Thanks to suggestions from this board I've watched the DVD sets of Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, Firefly, Wonderfalls, and this last weekend I finished Dead Like Me. It's so damn frustrating to fall in love with a show that has no future.
If you like Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me, then you should really check out Veronica Mars -- it's often compared to the last two shows for its sarcastic offbeat heroine and "quirky" humor.

Season one is out on DVD (Netflix it pronto!) and season two is currently playing on UPN (ep 2.11 airs on 1/25). Season three is not a lock yet, but it looks promising. My only consolation to losing Arrested Development is that Veronica should be around another year. VM and AD are my two favorite shows right now.

I would also chime in with the love for Sports Night (one of my all-time faves), but that can wait because there is no need to get "caught up" on that show b/c it's another one with no future.

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
Yet another fan of Sports Night here.

jschuur said:
My distributor still has stock (WD 27745, UPC 00786936196412, list $59.99) of the set that was released on 11/5/2002. So for those of you who are looking to buy not rent, there should be still be some available to the retail market.

It may be going OP but it's not showing as a moratorium item yet.

Jan

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
P.S. while cruising over to TVShowsonDVD.com to look for Sports Night information, I discovered that Here Comes the Grump is coming out at the end of this month.

How's that for a non-sequitur? (If anybody else but me remembers Here Comes the Grump, I'll be very impressed.)

Jan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Magnolia88 said:
If you like Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me, then you should really check out Veronica Mars -- it's often compared to the last two shows for its sarcastic offbeat heroine and "quirky" humor.
Not to rile anyone up, because he's right, it is compared to shows of this stature, but it shouldn't be. Its like Dawson's Creek with a cheesy mystery element thrown in. Kristin Bell is awesome but the show is painful.

·
She likes cheese.
4,768 Posts
funbox said:
Not to rile anyone up, because he's right, it is compared to shows of this stature, but it shouldn't be. Its like Dawson's Creek with a cheesy mystery element thrown in. Kristin Bell is awesome but the show is painful.
I honestly can't understand how someone who has seen even a few episodes of Veronica Mars could compare it to DC, but to each his own. I think VM is one of the best shows on network TV right now. It was on the "Top 10" lists of Time, Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide, and almost every other TV critic in the country, so I'm not alone. YMMV of course.

If someone likes Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me, there is a high probability they would also like VM, which is why I suggested it.

·
a rkester says what?
14,221 Posts
Count me in as a person who falls in love with tragically cancelled shows.

DLM, WOnderfalls, etal. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts