TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I'm new to TiVo, I just got a TiVo Premiere Series 4 Model: TCD746500 without the hard drive.
I have a few Hard Drives available to use.... Can I use any 500Gb or 1Tb Seagate Barracuda?
Do I need an image for that hard drive??? I guess I have to use MFS Tools?? Do I need a Tivo subscription???
Any help will be appreciated please
Thanks
Flecha

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Those Seagate drives should work. You will need an image and DvrBARS to restore it. Let me know what size you drive you want to use and I will send you the correct image. You can find DvrBARS in the Upgrade forum.

You can get it running without a subscription, but it won't do anything except tune in live TV.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Avoid a 7200RPM drive for use in a TiVo, at least long term. In your effort to get an old TiVo running, no big deal, but 7200RPM will be too hot/too fast for what a DVR needs.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Thank You I only have 7200 available now, I will use this one until I order a slower one.
I don't want to start a fight, but check the specs on any drive you look at. All drives can be found on Google. I replaced the 5400rpm Seagate (5 watts) with a WD 7200rpm drive (4 watts) since you can't buy a laptop with the faster drive. Just check the specs, that's all. You won't gain anything, but you won't lose anything either.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Assuming of course you have a cablecard paired by your service provider. 4 tuner Premieres had no OTA capability. Correct?
The model listed in the title is TCD746500, which is a dual tuner Premiere.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi: I'm new to TiVo, I just got a TiVo Premiere Series 4 Model: TCD746500 without the hard drive.
I have a few Hard Drives available to use.... Can I use any 500Gb or 1Tb Seagate Barracuda?
Do I need an image for that hard drive??? I guess I have to use MFS Tools?? Do I need a Tivo subscription???
Any help will be appreciated please
Thanks
Flecha
The novelty will wear off quickly if the Tivo does not have lifetime service. Tivo will charge you $15 per month for service. You should call Tivo to see if it has lifetime service before wasting your time adding a hard drive, unless you don't mind the monthly fee.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.