TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and I'm not going down without a fight!

After A LOT of EXTENSIVE research. I have found out that I am infact another unsatisfied customer of directivo. Turns out you can't setup your DirecTivo to any network without some HARDCORE mods or hacks. Ive decided that I would rather just buy the unit from TIVO and not have to deal with Directv. Does anyone know if I would be able to get my money back from Directv if I return my unit. I cant remember but it seems like the damn thing came with a contract. I have to look it up, im not sure.

Anyways if you know how to get out of your TIVO with Directv contract if one does exist or how to get your money back for your tivo PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Maybe you should do the "extensive research" BEFORE you buy something.

Putting a hard drive in a computer and clicking OK a bunch of times is "HARDCORE" now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey man, I just found out that you can network these things about a week ago. Ive had my unit for almost a year... And it would be pretty tough for me considering that in order for me to even install any kind of software I would have to have an r15 and not an r10. infact I would have to format my whollle pc hardrive into a fat filesys. That's a pain in the rear and I don't have time or patience for all of that. sorry i pissed on 'your' parade.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
stevei983 said:
...and I'm not going down without a fight!

After A LOT of EXTENSIVE research. I have found out that I am infact another unsatisfied customer of directivo. Turns out you can't setup your DirecTivo to any network without some HARDCORE mods or hacks. Ive decided that I would rather just buy the unit from TIVO and not have to deal with Directv. Does anyone know if I would be able to get my money back from Directv if I return my unit. I cant remember but it seems like the damn thing came with a contract. I have to look it up, im not sure.

Anyways if you know how to get out of your TIVO with Directv contract if one does exist or how to get your money back for your tivo PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
You're kidding right?

·
Again with shoelaces
3,273 Posts
Arcady said:
Maybe you should do the "extensive research" BEFORE you buy something.

Putting a hard drive in a computer and clicking OK a bunch of times is "HARDCORE" now?
An R10 requires a hardware mod and other tweaks before you can run a zipper on it. Even then it is not recommended by Gunny. It is different than the other series 2 DTivo's. You might check you attitude a little or do some research yourself.

I would get another S2 Dtivo and zipper it, but that may be too much for the OP to handle. Only he can make that determination. I would suggest that if you want these hacks, that you get a different model S2 and then nut up and do the 30 minutes of work that it is. You can convert your drive to FAT using Partition Magic, so it's not that tough.

·
Registered
739 Posts
stevei983 said:
The rebate's Term and Conditions clearly state that if you return the TiVo to Directv, your equipment charges will be wavied.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_rebate.html

IF YOU FAIL TO MAINTAIN YOUR PROGRAMMING COMMITMENT, DIRECTV MAY CHARGE YOU A PRORATED FEE OF UP TO $300 FOR ADVANCED RECEIVERS. IN LIEU OF PAYMENT, YOU HAVE AN OPTION TO SEND YOUR DIRECTV SYSTEM TO DIRECTV. VISIT DIRECTV.COM OR CALL 1-800-DIRECTV FOR DETAILS
(Sorry for the caps. It just a cut and paste from directv.com.)

·
Registered
285 Posts
you got "bent over", because you didn't do your homework. it's best to ask questions before you buy. this stuff is common knowledge in this forum, and many others. if you did extensive research, you'd have known that. sorry, but i have a hard time feeling sorry for your situation. good luck with it.

·
Got Basenji?
9,603 Posts
stevei983 said:
hey man, I just found out that you can network these things about a week ago. Ive had my unit for almost a year... And it would be pretty tough for me considering that in order for me to even install any kind of software I would have to have an r15 and not an r10. infact I would have to format my whollle pc hardrive into a fat filesys. That's a pain in the rear and I don't have time or patience for all of that. sorry i pissed on 'your' parade.
Be carefull, I am pretty sure there is nothing at all that can be done with an R15, not even increasing the hard drive. Maybe all the research missed that one. If you want to hack, you need a non- R10 Series II. Somehting like an SDDVR40 (or 80 or 120) or any number of other models that you can find info on here.

Now, there is some talk of D* allowing some networking features at some point on the R15, but so far, only talk.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
stevei983 said:
hey man, I just found out that you can network these things about a week ago. Ive had my unit for almost a year... .
So you've had a year of satisfactory service and now, suddenly, feel cheated by not being able to use a feature that you were never promised or paid for?

stevei983 said:
... And it would be pretty tough for me considering that in order for me to even install any kind of software I would have to have an r15 and not an r10...
You need to go back and do more "exhaustive research" - you can't hack the R15 at all, and the R10 requires a firmware mod to do more than a disk upgrade.

stevei983 said:
...infact I would have to format my whollle pc hardrive into a fat filesys...
Says who? You can simply get a new (larger if you like) harddrive and copy your software to that one, keeping your original drive as a backup. Heck, you could even pick up a small harddrive for $10 or $20 and use that as a FAT formatted backup target. I've been using NTFS for years, and I've never had a problem, getting a backup done.

stevei983 said:
...That's a pain in the rear and I don't have time or patience for all of that. sorry i pissed on 'your' parade.
I think you've come to conclusion that the members here have no time or patience for arrogrant little twerps that toss around vulgarities and act like they know it all.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,635 Posts
Dan Collins said:
I think you've come to conclusion that the members here have no time or patience for arrogrant little twerps that toss around vulgarities and act like they know it all.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:
Well said!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts