TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to put a drive in my Bolt so decided to try Hydra for the first time. Whew, going to take a LOT of getting used to. Shows, when recording in Gen 3 I could look at info for the show and it would show me how large the recording is. Can't figure out how to do it in Hydra, just shows the length of the recording. Any way to find out the size (I like to watch the "larger" recordings first to free up space). Not sure if I'm going to like Hydra, lot of big pictures on the screen, not thrilled with the guide. But will give it a try. No voice remote yet, don't know if I would use it, I don't like talking to machines ;)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isn't a way to see file size, sadly.
Hmm, that's one big strike for me. Another I just noticed, I cannot put "all shows" into the main menu. I like to look at deleted recordings sometimes. It just seems it takes a lot longer to do things that used to take me a few seconds. I think this is geared towards people who like the "talking" thing, streamers, and to be comparable with Comcast X1 or X2 whichever. For me, someone who pretty much just records shows, less functionality and seems to take a lot longer to get to the things that took me next to no time before. Fortunately the Bolt is not my main Tivo, my Roamios are, I will leave the Bolt as is for now to see if I can get used to it. Hope they add the older style Tivo guide too, and find some way to shrink down all those huge pictures on the menu, I didn't mind the small windows at the top, these big ones don't thrill me.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I wonder how much duplication this thread will have. But here's my problem. If I try to view Recording Activity, my Roamio or Mini goes nuts. On the Mini I get a big arrow and put back to Home. On the Roamio it sits for a second, goes to Home then to Live TV. Just me? I've never seen another post on it. It's 100% reproducible.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder how much duplication this thread will have. But here's my problem. If I try to view Recoding Activity, my Roamio or Mini goes nuts. On the Mini I get a big arrow and put back to Home. On the Roamio it sits for a second, goes to Home then to Live TV. Just me? I've never seen another post on it. It's 100% reproducible.
I'll bet a lot (thanks for being "subtle" about my "new" thread). I wasn't really watching the Hydra threads other than occasional glance as I was not planning on using it for quite awhile, ie I saw so many complaints I figured I'd wait a year or so before trying it. But since I had to swap a drive in the Bolt figured I'd give it a shot. I think I will hold off on many more comments and/or questions until I figure out what I'm doing, and will try to see if I can find any answers before asking duplicate questions. The size of recording thing bugged me as I use that a lot, recently deleted recordings I was wrong, main page before (ie Tivo Central) I had to go to my shows, then all, then recently deleted, it's still my shows, then all shows, then recently deleted but the side to side now instead of all on one page up and down and those pictures confused me I guess. I will "practice" more, I'm sure there will be some things I like ;)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, to the moderators, feel free to delete this thread, probably everything I said IS duplicated somewhere, my main question was about checking the recording size and that was answered quickly, I should have quit there......................

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I will "practice" more, I'm sure there will be some things I like ;)
There are things I like too, but they get shadowed by the items that were pulled. Like, as you said, file size. With file size I can compute bit rate/quality. I keep an open mind. All the people who only know Hydra won't miss what they never had. It's March. Where are some bug fixes?

Don't worry about this thread. It will scroll off quickly. :)

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts
If finding the largest items is a must, a workaround would be to use kmttg, it can pull the whole list of recordings and sort by size. Not as convenient as using the remote while interacting with the TiVo, but at least you'll know what the biggest things are that need watching/deleting/etc.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If finding the largest items is a must, a workaround would be to use kmttg, it can pull the whole list of recordings and sort by size. Not as convenient as using the remote while interacting with the TiVo, but at least you'll know what the biggest things are that need watching/deleting/etc.
Heh, especially 4TB of recordings. That's the Roamio though, the Bolt I put in the original 500GB and next to no recordings, yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are things I like too, but they get shadowed by the items that were pulled. Like, as you said, file size. With file size I can compute bit rate/quality. I keep an open mind. All the people who only know Hydra won't miss what they never had. :)
Actually since I have Roamios hooked up it is possible to check recording sizes on the Bolt. Just do it through "devices" on the Roamio. I will most likely keep Gen 3 on at least one Roamio FOREVER, or as long as Tivo supports it ;)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Oh, to the moderators, feel free to delete this thread, probably everything I said IS duplicated somewhere, my main question was about checking the recording size and that was answered quickly, I should have quit there......................
(FWIW, I appreciate your thread, to see the current state of Hydra and what is missing/"still" missing (and I've been meaning to start a thread/put up a post asking about the current state)--as someone who would like to go there but has been stopped by these issues. Although a more descriptive thread heading would have been nice (e.g. "Experiences for a new user trying out Hydra") . . . ;) ).

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Actually since I have Roamios hooked up it is possible to check recording sizes on the Bolt. Just do it through "devices" on the Roamio. I will most likely keep Gen 3 on at least one Roamio FOREVER, or as long as Tivo supports it ;)
I have two basic Roamio boxes (and two Mini) on good old classic UI also. Sometime I feel it's like comparing DOS to Windows. With the packing and moving of channels, I'm trying to see which ones have cut back their bit rates.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have two basic Roamio boxes (and two Mini) on good old classic UI also. Sometime I feel it's like comparing DOS to Windows. With the packing and moving of channels, I'm trying to see which ones have cut back their bit rates.
I was a DOS man myself, resisted Windows as long as I could. Though trying to get some things (mostly games) to run under DOS with expanded/extended memory setttings etc was not much fun................ By me (Comcast cable) almost everything is MP4 now. All the cable only channels I checked (except MoviePlex which is not HD anyway). Broadcast channels, ABC, NBC, PBS are MP4. Fox, CBS and I think WGN and WCUI about the only uncompressed left.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, I already found something I like. The green bar that appears when you pause or fast forward is thinner and seems to be lower on the screen. Which is nice, lot of sporting events have score info etc on the bottom and can't see it when fast forwarding. This should be better.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was a DOS man myself, resisted Windows as long as I could. Though trying to get some things (mostly games) to run under DOS with expanded/extended memory setttings etc was not much fun................ By me (Comcast cable) almost everything is MP4 now. All the cable only channels I checked (except MoviePlex which is not HD anyway). Broadcast channels, ABC, NBC, PBS are MP4. Fox, CBS and I think WGN and WCUI about the only uncompressed left.
I mean MPEG4 of course ;) Or H.264.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
(FWIW, I appreciate your thread, to see the current state of Hydra and what is missing/"still" missing (and I've been meaning to start a thread/put up a post asking about the current state)--as someone who would like to go there but has been stopped by these issues. Although a more descriptive thread heading would have been nice (e.g. "Experiences for a new user trying out Hydra") . . . ;) ).
Hydra hasn't changed much since its launch, only some bug fixes. Nothing substantively improved.

The next "real" update (anytime now?) won't make any major strides either, and might turn some people off. It'll improve the mini guide, but change the home screen to be dual horizontal strips, without the shortcut numbers, and an almost cartoonishly huge prediction bar. The big missing features are most likely permanently dead.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Hydra hasn't changed much since its launch, only some bug fixes. Nothing substantively improved.

The next "real" update (anytime now?) won't make any major strides either, and might turn some people off. It'll improve the mini guide, but change the home screen to be dual horizontal strips, without the shortcut numbers, and an almost cartoonishly huge prediction bar. The big missing features are most likely permanently dead.
Thanks for that update.

Sigh, perhaps Hydra is not for me, especially as I routinely ignore the up-top graphics with show selections/suggestions on the Experience 3 TiVo Central screen. I think they're pretty, but they don't really serve a purpose for me and I really don't understand them apart from graphically reminding me of some things available to me (where I also can just look down my list for a more comprehensive "reminder")--and making them even bigger?

I understand not bringing the TiVo Guide back (although one might think, having had it as an option for so many years, it would be continued as such). But I don't understand not making the fixes: not having the desired options in Experience 3 continue to 4 (esp. show transferability and something as seemingly simple/basic as being able to play a folder, or reporting the GB size of shows).

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for that update.

Sigh, perhaps Hydra is not for me, especially as I routinely ignore the up-top graphics with show selections/suggestions on the Experience 3 TiVo Central screen. I think they're pretty, but they don't really serve a purpose for me and I really don't understand them apart from graphically reminding me of some things available to me (where I also can just look down my list for a more comprehensive "reminder")--and making them even bigger?
QUOTE]

I didn't mind them much small and near the top of the screen. In fact occasionally I did see something I liked, a suggestion of a show currently on or maybe a different show/movie with an actor I like based on something I have recorded. What you see is based on what you check off in prefs, at least in Gen 3. Bigger pictures than now with Hydra, phew, much bigger and will take up whole screen. If they go strictly to side to side and no shortcut numbers that would be a step backwards IMO, being able to assign some shortcut numbers is nice. Lot is what you are used to I guess, as Joe says anyone who has never had Gen 3 will not "miss" what is "missing".

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Not making this about you, But I wish people would stop making excuses for this Bastardized "new" idea of a UI from Tivo, Inc. No recording size, no Live Guide, and many other things...what a nightmare and I am so shocked that people who have enjoyed Tivo's uniqueness for so many years, swarmed to this Monstrosity, OF WHICH THERE IS NOT A WORD ABOUT FIXES!!!

Why you ask, am I complaining even though I am on Gen3? Because Tivo, Inc, in order to make money, has screwed over it's loyal base with their idiotic decisions!!!

I HAS SPOKEN!!!! o_O:eek::mad::D

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Not making this about you, But I wish people would stop making excuses for this Bastardized "new" idea of a UI from Tivo, Inc. No recording size, no Live Guide, and many other things...what a nightmare and I am so shocked that people who have enjoyed Tivo's uniqueness for so many years, swarmed to this Monstrosity, OF WHICH THERE IS NOT A WORD ABOUT FIXES!!!

Why you ask, am I complaining even though I am on Gen3? Because Tivo, Inc, in order to make money, has screwed over it's loyal base with their idiotic decisions!!!

I HAS SPOKEN!!!! o_O:eek::mad::D
Well, to be fair, if TiVo has to do this to make money, I understand it--and Gen 3 still is available. The real screaming will start if/when it isn't. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.