TiVo Community Forum banner
341 - 360 of 845 Posts

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
You can't if it doesn't happen though. Like the V66 error, it never occurred during the beta.
If your unit and functional testing is properly designed, then basic errors such as this should never make it to the alpha test stage, much less beta. Unfortunately, it's been obvious for years that TiVo has a crappy test regimen and it has probably gotten even worse post merger.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If your unit and functional testing is properly designed, then basic errors such as this should never make it to the alpha test stage, much less beta. Unfortunately, it's been obvious for years that TiVo has a crappy test regimen and it has probably gotten even worse post merger.
Correct but still if this bug didn't happen during alpha or beta you can't fix something you don't know exists.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unbelievable. In addition to all the previous issues noted, I have been using voice commands to navigate to overcome some of the poor design. Suddenly, the command 'My Shows' which used to work fine now spells out "My Shows" correctly but than gets the message "Sorry, I can't help with that". Same with "Settings". This morning I manually go to "My Shows" and the "CBS Morning News" tile is perfectly centered. I have a one pass that saves only the most recent. Do the ridiculous 2 step play, and it plays yesterdays episode which is in the deleted folder. Double check and the current episode is in the regular My Shows list. Checked again after watching todays show, and yesterdays show is still the one that displays on the tiled title list. Whether this is a bug or design problem, calling this release software is a sham. I've lived in Silicon Valley doing software development since 1979, and this is about as bad as I've seen from a major company. I've been a booster of Tivo since 1999 and want them to succeed. This is the kind of software you get when you farm it out to the lowest bidder that cares only about the money and has no stake in the company. They need to bring in an emergency software team that knows what they are doing and fix this.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Unbelievable. In addition to all the previous issues noted, I have been using voice commands to navigate to overcome some of the poor design. Suddenly, the command 'My Shows' which used to work fine now spells out "My Shows" correctly but than gets the message "Sorry, I can't help with that". Same with "Settings".
Ok I just got my remote finally paired last night and was also getting "Sorry I can't help with that" after everythng so I assumed it wasn't a feature it had. So it IS supposed to bring up my shows list and settings also? I was confused because the bookelet that came with the remote listed "show me the guide" as a phrase and I also got 'sorry I cant help with that" response. The only thing is does it bring up the watchlist of my recordings.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
A couple of points...the tiles across the bottom of the home screen is the "smart bar" which is supposed to show programs you frequently watch at the current time of day. It is NOT a list of the most recent recorded or viewed shows.

If you go to "My Shows" the bar that is displayed there IS a list of your recording and streaming content, ordered by most recent activity. If you turn on the Episode Bar in preferences then you get a set of tiles for the currently selected folder (BTW, this is why even one episode is in a folder). The tiles are listed in order according to the 1P or folder setting.

I suggest that before people start calling things bugs, they read the documentation for the New TiVo experience to see how it was designed to work, versus how you think it should work.

The New TiVo Experience User Guide

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok I just got my remote finally paired last night and was also getting "Sorry I can't help with that" after everythng so I assumed it wasn't a feature it had. So it IS supposed to bring up my shows list and settings also? I was confused because the bookelet that came with the remote listed "show me the guide" as a phrase and I also got 'sorry I cant help with that" response. The only thing is does it bring up the watchlist of my recordings.
I wonder if the Tivo servers were 'updated' and broke this feature.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A couple of points...the tiles across the bottom of the home screen is the "smart bar" which is supposed to show programs you frequently watch at the current time of day. It is NOT a list of the most recent recorded or viewed shows.

If you go to "My Shows" the bar that is displayed there IS a list of your recording and streaming content, ordered by most recent activity. If you turn on the Episode Bar in preferences then you get a set of tiles for the currently selected folder (BTW, this is why even one episode is in a folder). The tiles are listed in order according to the 1P or folder setting.

I suggest that before people start calling things bugs, they read the documentation for the New TiVo experience to see how it was designed to work, versus how you think it should work.

The New TiVo Experience User Guide
Are you suggesting the 'smart bar' should direct you to a program in the deleted folder even though the current one is available? That does not really sound like a very 'smart' thing to do. A well designed 'upgrade' should be at least 90% intuitive from the previous version. Even the Windows interfaces incrementally upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows 10 never required a manual to do the most basic things. I would also point out that there is no obvious manual for this upgrade. I suppose I could find one, but how about incorporating some of your points into the interface with the option to turn them off when you don't want them anymore. That is a rather common way of introducing new interfaces. I would also point out that I went from a Tivo 2 many years ago to the Bolt and never needed a manual to get around the original Bolt interface. My main point is that Tivo obviously rushed this to the market without doing basic usability or beta studies.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Are you suggesting the 'smart bar' should direct you to a program in the deleted folder even though the current one is available? That does not really sound like a very 'smart' thing to do. A well designed 'upgrade' should be at least 90% intuitive from the previous version. Even the Windows interfaces incrementally upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows 10 never required a manual to do the most basic things. I would also point out that there is no obvious manual for this upgrade. I suppose I could find one, but how about incorporating some of your points into the interface with the option to turn them off when you don't want them anymore. That is a rather common way of introducing new interfaces. I would also point out that I went from a Tivo 2 many years ago to the Bolt and never needed a manual to get around the original Bolt interface. My main point is that Tivo obviously rushed this to the market without doing basic usability or beta studies.
Not knowing exactly what you did or what you saw, I can't say if your results were expected or not. I'm not saying there are no bugs, but many of the issues I see raised are because people are assuming they know what they are looking at, and in many cases are mistaken. Take a quick read through the "Quick Tour" to get oriented on what all the tile strips do and how they are meant to work. The paradigm is very different, and if you don't like change, DON'T upgrade. But for those of us that like Hydra, it would be helpful if the real functional bugs could get reported without a lot of "but it doesn't work the way I expect" posts mixed in.

Reactions: chiguy50

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any work around for the no channels issue? Live tv and guide not working. Besides rebooting.

I’m crying from this update. And I️ foolishly sold one of my clients a tivo mini 4K and his entire interface went hydra. This is his first experience with tivo and it’s horrible. Doesn’t work for actually watching tv.

I’m scared to sell tivo anymore. Putting a hold on all tivo sales in our company. What a sad time to be a tivo user.

341 - 360 of 845 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.