TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't overstate how disappointed I am with Hydra. Went to the announce event on Saturday and was disappointed to find that Tivo had no place for user input, it was all them telling us what was great. Seems like that is how this whole thing was designed. No real user input. I've asked Tivo for rollback instructions, am still waiting. My major issues are covered previously. My main suggestion for Tivo is to go back to what worked in the old interface and improve that with new voice features. Don't give us something that almost always requires more work than the old interface, is harder to read on the screen, makes visual lists that appear to be random, and happens to sometimes let you do an intelligent voice search. At the minimum, the designers need to put both interfaces side by side and make sure the new one is not harder to use for ANY feature than the old one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's an example of how poorly the design works. This morning I watched a recorded Vice News report. When it was finished, it usually goes to ask if I want to delete. For some reason, and it may not have been quite to the end, the question did not pop up. So previously I would go to my shows and I would be positioned on the last program selected and press 'clear'. No more. Instead you land at the top of the list. Now I was not entirely sure if I had watched a Vice or a Vice News episode (if you saw the 'paradise papers' episode you would know why this is confusing.) So I have to go through my list and figure out which one I watched, before I can delete it. And of course for some crazy reason the one step delete is no longer available. This is taking something simple and making it complicated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Something is severely wrong. I have gotten the delete prompt at the end of every show I've watched. Either through getting out of the show or the shown just ending.

When you are in the list of episodes, there is a progress bar to show if you watched something. You may want to turn off tiles for episodes. That may make it clearer.

Finally, the single key delete has worked perfectly for me. On single episodes or on folders.

These things you are listing are not design but bugs.
So you get one click delete on single episodes? There has never been single click delete on folders, so not sure if we are talking about the same thing. How about one click play. I have to select->play instead of just play in the old version. What about landing on last viewed instead of always at the top of the list. What does your version do. I am on a Tivo Bolt 4 tuner. Are your 'main' tiles meaningful? Mine appear random, e.g. not in recent order or recently viewed order making them pretty useless. Whether things are bugs or design problems is important in deciding whether or not to rollback. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unbelievable. In addition to all the previous issues noted, I have been using voice commands to navigate to overcome some of the poor design. Suddenly, the command 'My Shows' which used to work fine now spells out "My Shows" correctly but than gets the message "Sorry, I can't help with that". Same with "Settings". This morning I manually go to "My Shows" and the "CBS Morning News" tile is perfectly centered. I have a one pass that saves only the most recent. Do the ridiculous 2 step play, and it plays yesterdays episode which is in the deleted folder. Double check and the current episode is in the regular My Shows list. Checked again after watching todays show, and yesterdays show is still the one that displays on the tiled title list. Whether this is a bug or design problem, calling this release software is a sham. I've lived in Silicon Valley doing software development since 1979, and this is about as bad as I've seen from a major company. I've been a booster of Tivo since 1999 and want them to succeed. This is the kind of software you get when you farm it out to the lowest bidder that cares only about the money and has no stake in the company. They need to bring in an emergency software team that knows what they are doing and fix this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok I just got my remote finally paired last night and was also getting "Sorry I can't help with that" after everythng so I assumed it wasn't a feature it had. So it IS supposed to bring up my shows list and settings also? I was confused because the bookelet that came with the remote listed "show me the guide" as a phrase and I also got 'sorry I cant help with that" response. The only thing is does it bring up the watchlist of my recordings.
I wonder if the Tivo servers were 'updated' and broke this feature.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A couple of points...the tiles across the bottom of the home screen is the "smart bar" which is supposed to show programs you frequently watch at the current time of day. It is NOT a list of the most recent recorded or viewed shows.

If you go to "My Shows" the bar that is displayed there IS a list of your recording and streaming content, ordered by most recent activity. If you turn on the Episode Bar in preferences then you get a set of tiles for the currently selected folder (BTW, this is why even one episode is in a folder). The tiles are listed in order according to the 1P or folder setting.

I suggest that before people start calling things bugs, they read the documentation for the New TiVo experience to see how it was designed to work, versus how you think it should work.

The New TiVo Experience User Guide
Are you suggesting the 'smart bar' should direct you to a program in the deleted folder even though the current one is available? That does not really sound like a very 'smart' thing to do. A well designed 'upgrade' should be at least 90% intuitive from the previous version. Even the Windows interfaces incrementally upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows 10 never required a manual to do the most basic things. I would also point out that there is no obvious manual for this upgrade. I suppose I could find one, but how about incorporating some of your points into the interface with the option to turn them off when you don't want them anymore. That is a rather common way of introducing new interfaces. I would also point out that I went from a Tivo 2 many years ago to the Bolt and never needed a manual to get around the original Bolt interface. My main point is that Tivo obviously rushed this to the market without doing basic usability or beta studies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not knowing exactly what you did or what you saw, I can't say if your results were expected or not. I'm not saying there are no bugs, but many of the issues I see raised are because people are assuming they know what they are looking at, and in many cases are mistaken. Take a quick read through the "Quick Tour" to get oriented on what all the tile strips do and how they are meant to work. The paradigm is very different, and if you don't like change, DON'T upgrade. But for those of us that like Hydra, it would be helpful if the real functional bugs could get reported without a lot of "but it doesn't work the way I expect" posts mixed in.
Wouldn't it be nice if someone from Tivo let us know if something is a bug, feature, or feature request and what their plan of action was?

·
Registered
28 Posts
A couple more issues to report. On my Bolt connected to a Sony TV, after going through the crazy six click standby (as previously reported, voice navigation that worked Sunday stopped working), if you turn off the TV before the standby takes effect, the standby is cancelled. BTW, standby used to be instant so this was not an issue, now there is a wait. When going into Netflix, tried using voice to do a search, it is not enabled. Also of note, while you can program the main menu, it does not allow you to program 'standby' as an option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think you can...you have to roll back the DVR first, which will wipe all recordings and settings, and THEN roll back the mini. The instructions found here should work for any DVR or Mini, but I personally have not tried it yet.
I put in a request on Monday for rollback instructions. Did not hear back by Thursday so sent a reminder and still have not heard back. (Today is Friday) I'm guessing their support is overloaded with Hydra issues. I am hoping for specific instructions on how to rollback a Bolt without losing everything as the old Roamio instructions do. TBS, I am inclined to wait for one more update of Hydra and see if some of the more severe issues are resolved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
mike246 wants instructions how to roll back to Gen3 without losing everything, which he knows do not exist and which he also knew did not exist when he upgraded to Hydra.
I did not know that they did not exist. I would have thought that there was a rollback procedure as part of the beta that would have been perfected by the time of the release.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have never used standby, what is the advantage of standby that you are making use of?
Perhaps if it is valuable to a large audience it could be something worth adding to the ShortCut manu choices (or perhaps added as a hidden TiVo-9 shortcut)

I don't know if this helps, but if you have the ability to link a script on a server to a trigger that is useful you can send
IRCODE STANDBY to the TiVo on port 31339 if you have Network Remote Control Allowed (still triggers 30 sec delay pop up)
The unit goes to standby eventually in any case. You can select the level of power saving in settings. As best I can tell, standby spins down the disk unless there is a scheduled recording. There may be other power saving effects as well, e.g. tuner turns off(??). I figure if it is going into standby in any case, I might as well put it there when I am done with the unit in the morning and again at night. There is a program called kmttg that gives you remote access to most Tivo functions (at least in the previous version.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
From Tivo_Ted prelaunch "
Regarding "Popular TiVo features have been enhanced to work with voice control." here is an example of some things you can do with voice:
"Skip It" - skips to the end of the next commercial break. Maybe not hugely useful when you have a skip button, but if you are using voice a lot, it keeps you from having to find the SKIP button. Chan up/down and "D" still work.
"Schedule a OnePass for Modern Family" - takes you right to the point where you can setup a OnePass
"To Do List" - Takes you to the To Do List
"OnePass Manager" - Takes you to the OnePass Manager

Other UI tasks include - Home, Guide, My Shows, What to Watch, Settings, Menu and Help"
Per my previous post, Voice navigation was working on Nov. 5. On Nov. 7 it was not working. Voice is interpreted correctly, e.g. 'My Shows" gets spelled out, but than the "Sorry, I can't help with that" message comes up. It's been over a week, so presumably Tivo knows about this issue. Has anyone heard from Tivo about this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.