TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
No RC11 yet, boxes are running RC9 at this point. I regret opting in for the early access.

I haven't had that many issues on the Roamio, but 90% of the TV watching occurs on 2nd gen Minis in the house, and between general poorer performance over the old UI and a need to restart them daily (some point between ~24-30 hours after box start the box stops listening to the remote commands), not too impressed.

Hope performance optimization is targeted. Also missing the live guide from the old UI (via select button while watching live TV) dearly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm revisiting this thread after ~3 months to express my remorse for upgrading to Hydra. Saying that the current releases are bug-ridden and frustrating would be putting the kindest possible words on my experience. (For reference, I own one Roamio Pro, and four minis gen 2s, not VOX 4K, but with the RF remote).

I'm really dismayed with the current experience. It's pretty bad since the update to Hydra.

1) I have a fairly big manufacturer TV that worked with all my TVs for years. After the Hydra update, HDMI handshaking died with this TV. Hey, I swap the box out for a Mini (relocating the Roamio) and things are okay...momentarily. I could say that it's one device, but I have an Xbox One that previously worked fine with the mini and now it doesn't, and even occasionally hooked up directly to the TV (bearing in mind it's a separate TV from all those prior in the paragraph) it still has issues. And we're talking four TVs across three manufacturers.

2) The Hydra interface performs like dog**** on all of the minis. Worse in the menus vs. live TV/guide. It's honestly embarrassing. I've disabled the TV show background pics and all the rest to help performance and it's still bad. I proactively dust my hardware and locate it away from any heat producing hardware in the cabinet (which would explain performance issues with the minis if applicable) and there's no resolution, plus the performance was 100% great before the "upgrade" to Hydra.

3) Reliability of the minis has tanked. It's not an issue of hardware, because it would be intermittent, and it's not an issue of signal, because that would be intermittent too. If I reboot the boxes once a day I have a lot more luck. It is absolutely, 100%, embarrassing that part of the daily routine is to unplug the Tivo Mini before starting the coffeepot is part of the daily routine (because than the Tivo will be ready to view once the coffee is ready after boot time). This is not just due to UI glitches, but because the Tivo in the kitchen will no longer respond to commands (IR or RF) after a day, and a simple reboot fixes it...but it literally has to happen each and every single day.

4) The software bugs are ridiculous. The bug where the live TV takes us to the most frequent morning channel, and then any channel updates fail until we do a simple channel up/channel down is bad. The bug where it flags broadcast TV channels as not being allowed to be recorded (and then fine/no complaint after a reboot) is absolutely absurd.

Hydra is so toxic that it has gone from the point of convincing people I know that they should buy more Tivo hardware to looking to get out of the Tivo ecosystem entirely or avoid entering it.

Not trying to be difficult or toxic. First had a Tivo Series2 in the early 2000s, reacquired hardware in the 2015s and loved Tivo, but the switch to Hydra has (for now) soured the relationship. For anyone who has not "upgraded" to Hydra: stay far, far away would be my recommendation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.