TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 6 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
I think temptation is the operative word. Color me curious. Plus I won't complain about something I have never seen. So...
I have a spare basic Roamio. I put monthly service on it and signed up for the new experience. I looked at it for almost a month and decided it was worth playing with. I cancelled the service and took the box back to the classic UI.

At this time I'm waiting for the next Hydra release. I don't know when or what it will do. I hope I get voice, since that has never worked for me. I don't care either. Since I don't depend on Hydra I don't regret having it. I still have two very happy Roamio boxes and two Mini boxes. Right now the TE4 stuff is unplugged. When I read a post that something new is shipping I will plug them in. Or if I need a movie, since the Hydra box holds 350GB of stuff I haven't watched. 'Till tomorrow.
Curious how you put your spare Roamio on monthly and then cancelled it without a fee. I was looking to get a used Roamio and put it on monthly for a while but after chatting with Tivo they said it requires a 1 year commitment with a $75 early cancellation fee. Maybe if I called they'd offer monthly without the cancellation fee. I'm thinking about downgrading my Bolt from Hydra too, at least until they fix some of the bugs.

· Registered
143 Posts
Maybe don't call? I activated on-line. I called to cancel.

If you use TiVo.com, I think the new sale has caused some bugs.

I just tried to activate that Roamio. I had 14.99 no commitment, 1 year and All-In options.
Sorry, when I say chatted I meant I did a chat session with them online, didn't actually speak to a person on the phone. What they did was send me a link to the policy that said there was a one year commitment and a $75 early cancellation fee. I guess if you sign up online it doesn't come into play? Did you buy your Roamio used from Ebay or Craigslist? I know if you're buying one with lifetime both seller and buyer are supposed to contact Tivo and get it transferred to your account. If no lifetime do you still need the previous owner to contact Tivo? I would want to get one to copy some things from the Bolt to the Roamio. Wondering if I buy a used one from someone who wasn't the original owner if there could be a problem getting it activated on my account, in case it was at some point stolen/ "fell off a truck" as people have mentioned.

· Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, the rep. was wrong (isn't it a shame that info. as basic as this can't be conveyed correctly? or, is TiVo doing it intentionally, to try to get year commitments?)--subscriptions are available monthly, yearly, and Lifetime.
Right, that's what I was wondering. Though it was from a chat session and not human contact. It would make more sense to get money from someone for a couple months than not get any at all if you don't want to commit to a whole year.

· Registered
143 Posts
Maybe don't call? I activated on-line. I called to cancel.

If you use TiVo.com, I think the new sale has caused some bugs.

I just tried to activate that Roamio. I had 14.99 no commitment, 1 year and All-In options.
Are you able to access your recordings on this inactive Roamio without any problems? I may get a used Roamio and activate for a month or so but want to make sure I will be able to access what's on it when it's deactivated. I know I wouldn't be able to transfer to another device without service. I'm contemplating downgrading from Hydra so I would copy some things to the Roamio first.

· Registered
143 Posts
I could connect a TV and watch its content. It is in a box right now, so I'm only 99% sure. It would be a good method to save stuff before changing. The transfer rate on a basic/OTA Roamio is about 93Mbps on my network.
Ok, thanks. Someone in another thread said they weren't able to access the recordings on their inactive device but I can't remember what thread that was.

1 - 5 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.